Amy has been an online writer for several years. Her goal as a writer is to spread as much knowledge as she can about saving money.
Are you a small home dweller that is second guessing your life choice of choosing to live small? I urge to read on about my experience of moving out of my charming little 1,000 square foot ranch into my current 3,000 square foot McMansion.
The grass isn't always greener on the other side
Last year when everybody was enjoying their lazy days of summer my family of four and I were in the middle of one of life's biggest stresses - moving! Even though the whole process nearly broke us, deep down inside my husband and I felt that moving into a bigger home would make our lives so much happier. To be honest with you, it hasn't. Reflecting back I truly think that our lives were a lot simpler and happier in our old small and cozy home and here are the reasons why:
- It's gratifying to know that every nook and cranny in your home is being put to good use. In my small home I made use of all of our living space and wall space. I utilized it to the fullest and made my family comfortable and our space functional. In my large home I am left feeling overwhelmed and discouraged by all of the space, To be honest with you, I just don’t know what to do with it!
- One of my favorite things to do is to browse through inspiring stores like Pottery Barn Kids and Restoration Hardware. When I lived in my small home I could afford to purchase these beautiful luxury items for my home to make it a better place. Now that my paycheck has been eaten up by a bigger mortgage I am limited to garage sales and Walmart for my home décor needs.
- I feel like a giant chunk of my day has been stolen from me and taken over by cleaning and organizing my now larger home. It used to take me and hour to deep clean and organize my small home until it sparkled. Being that my home is much larger now it takes me over twice the amount of time it used to . I miss the days when I had so much more time to play with my son at the park instead of cleaning.
- I miss the closeness our little family used to share in my little home. Being that our home was a lot smaller, we were forced to spend more time together sitting in the living room watching a movie or at the kitchen table talking. In my now larger home I feel like everybody is always scattered into different rooms or parts of the house.
- The four of us spent more time outside when we lived in our smaller home. Due to our tiny living quarters my family was forced outside into the fresh air when the weather was nice. We spent a lot of time in our backyard gardening and doing barbeques. My children also went outside to play more often due to the lack of inside space. Our back yard now isn't put to use as much and it harder to maintain.
- Last but not least, my husband used to be around more. Due to our new found giant mortgage, our money stresses are higher. Every time an unexpected expense comes around my husband is forced to work over time in order to cover for it. Our family has a lot less quality time with him.
Bigger isn't always better
I wrote this article to address the fact that a bigger home isn't always a better home. Even though I am grateful for my home and what it has to offer my family, I do long for the days of downsizing in the future. A small cozy home can be a lot more inviting than a large uncared for one. Let's face it, jobs are not guaranteed. The cost of living is forever rising, the expense of owning a large home can eat away at the money you could otherwise use to do the things you love!
Other Hubs You Might Like
- 15 Must Have Products For Small Home Living
Many of us choose to live in a small home and love it. If your homes square footage is limited there are magnificent ways you can maximize the space you have and keep it clean and organized. Just because you live in a small home doesn't mean that...
- Turning A Shed into a Playroom!
Pretty soon the Winter weather will give way to longer days and Spring breezes. I am big fan of small home living and feel that converting my backyard shed into a playroom for my children was one of the best investments I have ever made. They now...
- Small Home Decorating, Reasons Why I Love Raising My Family in a Small Home!
Living in a small home and loving it.
- How to take the tight squeeze out of small home living!
You've finally moved into your perfect home, the only problem is that you don't have the right amount of space. When I found my perfect home I wasn't sold on it's size being that it was only 1000 square feet. I was sold on the bright cheery effect...