Skip to main content

Who Killed Kelcey Fike?



Kelcey Renae Fike was born on March 26th, 1987 to Randy and Mary Jo Fike in Wisconsin. She met her best friend Jami Graham in kindergarten and they have been together ever since. They became inseparable and grew up doing everything together. They graduated from Monroe High School and Kelcey was described as a shy introverted girl who was also a silly free spirit to those who knew her. She would sing and dance had a good sense of humor and everybody loved her. After graduating, Jami went to a school-to-work program while Kelcey commuted to Highland Community College in Freeport Illinois.

In the summer of 2006, Kelcey’s parent’s decided to move to Nebraska to be closer to Mary Jo’s parents in Omaha Ne. Kelcey moved with her parents to Kearney NE and her mother got a job working for CHI Health Good Samaritan. Kelcey and Jami talked on the phone daily after she moved and had many trips to see one another. On one trip when Jami went to see Kelcey, Kelcey got a tattoo of a gold koi fish on her back in tribute to their favorite band, Sublime.

Kelcey met a young man named Alex Young who was a reserve member in the Nebraska Army National Guard. The two moved into a trailer to save up for a home later on. The trailer park was tucked away behind two businesses and was hard to find if you didn’t already know where it was. After a year of being together, Alex gave her a diamond promise ring to always be there for her and to take care of her. They had a basset hound named Dante who was extremely protective and possessive of Kelcey. The night before she was murdered she called Jami to talk about her trip to Wisconsin. Jami was watching a movie with her boyfriend at the time so she let it go to voicemail, something she regrets to this day.

The voicemail left by Kelcey says “Four more days woohoo! Love you dude, talk to you later.” The trip was to celebrate Jami’s 21st birthday on June 22nd. Kelcey was alone in the trailer that day because Alex was out of state in Louisiana doing training with the National Guard. Normally Kelcey would stay with her parents during these training days as she didn’t like to be alone, but this night was different. She was packing and planning for the trip to go see her best friend.

Jami Graham and Kelcey Fike

Jami Graham and Kelcey Fike

The Incident

The day before Kelcey got home from work around 5:30 pm and neighbors later saw her walking her basset hound Dante around 9 pm. Kelcey had sent a text to her boyfriend around 1 am, and a few hours later a couple of people out delivering papers noticed smoke and called 911. At about 4:30 am the mobile home was erupted in flames. The whole backside of the trailer where the bedrooms were located was engulfed in flames. The fire was so bad that neighbors were forced to stay back when the fire department came to extinguish the fire. All they could do was scream and cry out for Kelcey and her dog Dante. Both were well known and loved in the community.

By the time they got the fire under control, it was too late. Kelcey’s body was found on the floor outside the master bedroom in the hallway. Her beloved basset hound was found dead in the living room.

Inside of the trailer after the fire.

Inside of the trailer after the fire.


At first glance, it looked as though this was an accidental death by fire. The mobile home was an older one and had a faulty furnace that could have started the fire. Upon further inspection, they noticed Kelcey’s body wasn’t burned as bad as it should have been if the fire killed her. They then thought it was due to smoke inhalation but an autopsy proved that idea to be wrong as well. As they investigated they saw Kelcey had bruising on her body, a broken nose, busted lip, and blunt force trauma to the head. Not only thins but it was shown that she had been strangled by hand and by use of a ligament. So she had been dead before the fire started. It’s also inconclusive as to how her beloved basset hound died and why he was found so far away from her body. After Kelcey’s family was notified, her mother called Jami’s mother and told her what had happened. Jami was at work when she got the news and didn’t believe it until she heard it from Mary Jo herself. Nobody could believe what was going on.

The neighbors said it was a quiet night, that they never heard a commotion or her dog barking. With her dog being a basset hound with a very loud and distinct voice this let investigators to believe whoever killed Kelcey probably knew her. Both the front and back doors had been unlocked as well suggesting no sign of forced entry. They looked into her boyfriend first but his alibi checked out as he was out of state training with the Army National Guard. It’s believed whoever killed her set the house on fire shortly after to cover up their crime.

The police did get a sliver of luck with a surveillance camera across the street showing a presumably dark-colored sedan leaving the area just ten minutes before the home caught fire. Unfortunately, the camera is too far away to get a decent description of the car or the plate number.

Investigator Doug McCarty said they recovered some samples of DNA off Kelcey’s body but due to the water pressure of the fire hose used and the fire itself, Kelcey’s DNA and that of her killer were mixed together and the results would be inconclusive. So he sent the DNA samples to one of the best most sophisticated labs to try to scientifically separate the two different DNA samples and possibly get a hit on the unknown person.


There is currently a reward of $30,000 to anybody who can give a lead leading to the capture of whoever is responsible for Kelcey’s death.

Jami Graham, Kelcy’s best friend, finds it difficult to move on. She suffered from depression and anxiety attacks for a while after the news hit her. She also found herself still calling Kelcey’s cell phone after she got off work because it was such a part of her daily routine. She now has 2 children and a husband. She talks about Kelcey all the time and shows her pictures to her children so her memory will live on.

Kelcey’s parents and siblings are moving on but finding it hard. Her mother is especially broken and every time she hears her remaining daughter laugh it reminds her of Kelcey. Her mom wants whoever did this to be found as soon as possible, not just for Kelcey’s justice but so that nobody else has to go through the pain and terror that her daughter did.

Contact Information

If you have any information on who killed Kelcey Renae Fike please call the Kearney Police Department at 308-237-2104 or Crimestoppers at 308-237-3424

This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.

Related Articles