All dog owners know our furry little friends want their walkies come rain and shine, but during the colder months some of the smaller dog breeds would benefit from a warm knitted dog coat to keep them warm and comfortable. As you probably know, not all dogs were bred for cold winter climates, and if you regularly see the temperature drop below freezing point, chances are high your dog would thank you for a nice warm knitted dog jacket.
Not all dogs need coats, larger breeds and the ones with long coats carry their own insulation and will happily run a round in the snow no matter what the temperature is like. In general, there are three main groups of dogs that need a little extra insulation during the colder months:
- The smaller dog breeds, like Chihuahuas, miniature pinchers and toy terriers and all have short coats and they are so small they get cold really easily.
- Greyhounds, whippets and other long legged skinny dogs tend to start shivering as soon as the temperature drops and seem to enjoy nice warm jumpers and coats during the colder months.
- Older dogs and of course those who are chronically ill would enjoy the warmth of a knitted jumper or jacket.
Other factors that would help you figure out if your dog needs a jacket, are whether he shivers when he is outside, seems to avoid the snow or if he wants to jump up in your lap continuously.
Dog Coat Knitting Patterns for Crafty Dog Owners
When its cold outside, there’s nothing better than snuggling up in a warm and cozy home knitted jumper, and your dog is sure to feel the same way.
I’ve compiled a list of nice and simple free knitting patterns for dog coats to get you started - good luck!
Free Dog Coat Knitting Patterns
- This ‘Doggy’s got style’ coat was designed for a Corgi, but could probably also work well for other dog breeds with long backs!
- Check out this knitted Dog Jacket with the word ‘Dog’ knitted across the back, super cute!
- Dachshound owners will love this dog coat especially designed to fit their little friends!
- Knitted Dog Sweater for beginners - Step by step instructions, suitable for beginners.
Sue PEARCE on October 23, 2020:
Ipayed for knitting patterns due 21 Ebay no delivery thats bad.
Kathleen on September 29, 2020:
Can’t agree more no free pattern.
Glenda Rumley on June 13, 2020:
Where is the pattern please ?
Lynn on June 13, 2020:
Very frustrating. Where are the free patterns?
Lynn on May 27, 2020:
I got same problem , no free pattern any where to be found ,
Brenda on April 14, 2020:
ugh another con job that leads nowhere
Valerie Morrison on February 13, 2020:
Unable to find patterns!!!
Margaret Garcia on January 28, 2020:
I have chosen free patterns for knitting french bulldog sweaters but where can I see the patterns
Chris williams on December 07, 2019:
You keep saying free knitting patterns but where are they
Mrs Diana Parsons on April 27, 2019:
I would like to knit dog articles, I have always been a knitter, have oddments of wool over.
Frances on March 23, 2019:
I would like to knit dogs sweaters.
email@example.com on February 23, 2019:
Looking for free knitted puppy sweater or coat pattern. I have a tiny Morkie.
Linda on January 14, 2019:
Pat marsh on March 25, 2018:
What Best Size For A Small Cocker Spaniel
Deb on January 27, 2018:
My (smallish) cocker spaniel doesn't get cold but she does get very wet - hoping one of these patterns will help me keep her belly/legs dry on slushy days!
Marilyn on January 14, 2018:
Looking for a pattern for a very tiny dog...so cold in ONT he is shivering He is only 4-5 lbs very tiny
Christina Lornemark from Sweden on January 01, 2012:
I would love to knit a coat for a dog. Right now I don't have a dog but I like the idea. Voted up, useful