Skip to main content

Registering a Car in France


Put the paperwork in place and it is relatively easy to register your car in France...Even From Spain!

This lens details what you need to do to export your car to France from the UK or Spain i.e. how to register your car in France.

The process for registering your UK car in France will be slightly different depending on where you are living.

There is however a common thread that applies wherever you are and it is entirely about making sure you have all the necessary documentation required to complete the process. It is also worth knowing that the process for registering a car from any EU membership country, Spain, Germany etc. is virtually identical to this process. Just replace UK registration document with the registration document for the country you are importing from. Spain, for example, is a 'Permiso De Circulacion' but it also comes with an import certificate from the manufacturer, which is also required when you register in France. Mine had the ITV (Spanish MOT) record on the other side of it, which fooled me for a moment when I was asked for this certificate.

Before you begin this little journey it is probably worth discussing a very good reason why you may want to register your UK car in France or perhaps going and buying a LHD from Spain.

In a word it is economics, I was rather surprised to find out that second hand cars in France are much more expensive than in the UK and you can potentially end up spending literally thousands of pounds in order to stand still other than the benefit of having a left hand drive.

This brings me to another option, that of importing a left hand drive from the UK and then registering it in France, my personal experience was that this was a cheaper option than buying in France but for me not cheap enough, so I ended up sticking with a right hand drive. That may not be the case for you however and is certainly worth investigating before you leave the UK if you really want a left hand drive car.

The rules for how soon you need to register your car in France revolve around your French residency.

To adhere to the rules you should register your car within 1 month from attaining residency. If you are moving from the UK you are not strictly obliged to apply for residency i.e. get a Carte de Sejour, but after 6 months and 1 day (183 days) living in France for tax purposes you will be considered resident.

This is where most people extract a little more time to get their car registered and consider they actually have 6 months in which to register their car. You can temporarily export your car for 6 months in 12 as well if you intend to return it to the UK.

Personally, if you know you are going to keep and register your car in France and you consider yourself resident, I would work to the 1 month rule and then you will be sure you are legal, this is achievable as well if you have the documentation we are about to discuss.

Bottom line is that if you are resident in France you are not allowed to drive a vehicle that is not registered in France. Also driving in Europe comes with some additional rules to driving in the UK, so make sure you are up to speed, excuse the pun, on European driving regulations.

As an aside, this process assumes that you have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that the car you have bought or are planning to buy is free of any encumbrances i.e. there is no outstanding debt against the car, fines or unpaid tax for example. Those issues are difficult enough to deal with in your own country never mind a country where you may not speak the language or know how the legal systems work. So worth doing some research on how to do this before you get too far along.

By the way if you like the idea of creating your own single page website like this then all you have to do is click on I want to make my own Hub

If you want to find out more about me visit my Google page at Brian Stephens

These are the documents you will need to obtain your Carte Grise - Carte Grise or Certificat d'Immatriculation is the French Registration Document

If you possibly can you should try to get your certificate of conformity in the UK via a dealer for your car manufacturer and then take it with you when you go to France.

Its also worth scanning the list to see what documents you need to bring from the UK and make sure you have them with you as well.

  • Certificate of Conformity - this is the proof that your car has been manufactured to meet the standards in France
  • Your UK Registration Certificate - used to be called a log book in years gone by
  • Proces Verbal de Controle Technique - French MOT required for cars older than 4 years and renewed every 2 years
  • Quitas Fiscal - also known as the Certificat d'Aquisition

    In turn this needs: -

    >Vehicle invoice for proof of purchase

    >UK Registration Certificate

    >Proof of address

  • Proof of Address in France - usually a utility bill with your name and address in France on it
  • Proof of Identity - your passport is universally accepted

Certificate of Conformity

Proof you car meets the French Standards

There are 2 ways to obtain a certificate of conformity, this assumes that you don't have it already as it is now standard practice to issue one with new purchases, so check your documentation pack first.

Scroll to Continue

I will describe the 2 options and let you decide which is the easier.

Option 1 - Request the certificate from the car manufacturer via a dealer

This is the route I opted for, basically I had had some work done on my car at the Renault dealer in Cheltenham before I left the UK (not essential but it meant I was in their database). I phoned the garage and told them I needed a certificate of conformity for my Renault Megane.

At first they told me I had to go to Renault UK, which I did but was then referred back to the dealer.

Having established that it was in fact the dealer that has to make the request and that there is a special form they use for doing this exact task, I was put through to a very nice lady who although was very busy agreed to submit the form on my behalf. I asked her for her email address so that I could drop her a line and establish contact, this turned out to be a good move because we then had several exchanges where she needed more information.

The bottom line is that the dealer sends a request to Renault UK who then forward the request on to Renault France and Renault France send the certificate out to the address on the form, which in my case was my UK address but with mail forwarding in place.

I really don't know if this is the same process for every manufacturer but I would suggest that a main dealer in the UK preferably one you have dealt with is a good starting point from which you should be able to establish the proper procedure, just be prepared to be a little patient, they are getting nothing but good will out of this (unless they decide they need to charge you) and are usually not familiar with the procedure.

For me this worked, about 2 weeks later the much needed certificate of conformity arrived in my French post box.

I am not sure I would have been so lucky had I owned an older car where the CofC did not exist, or if the car was a Japanese import for example. You might find that if this is the case you may need to follow the 2nd option.

Option 2 - Request the certificate through DREAL (Previously DRIRE)

Things have changed since I registered my car i.e. a switch from DRIRE to DREAL and apparently the best thing to do now is to contact DREAL and make an appointment to have your car tested. If all is OK you should receive an attestation around 3 weeks later.

When you go to the DREAL test centre you will need to take the following:

  • The vehicle to be tested
  • Vehicle Registration Certificate (the original)
  • Certificate of import (Quitas Fiscal)
  • Proof of residence (utility bill is easiest)
  • Proof of purchase
  • Proof of Identity (passport)
  • Driving license
  • Proof of Address
  • Method of payment (cheque book)

The charge for the service was at the time 67.38 euros but will almost certainly have changed with time and you should now pay when you take the car for the test. My recommendation would be to find out which DREAL office can deal with the request (Perpignan if you are in Languedoc-Rousillion) and get in touch with them to see what is required.

All the above is worth verifying when you get in touch and just in case anything else is required. Personally I would also put the car through a 'Control Technique' and have the certificate available. So things like the potential switch of headlights for a RHD car are seen to have been taken care of. There is a risk that the car will not get an attestation in which case the expense would be a waste, but if it does you will need that for the final registration anyway.


Immeuble Kennedy

7, rue Edme Mariotte


Tél : 04 68 08 15 00

Fax : 04 68 08 15 15

The office is not easy to find, being on the upper floor of the building Immeuble Kennedy which also houses totally different department on the ground floor. Don't be put off, go up the stairs and you'll find the DREAL

Option 3

Some people have had success getting their Carte Gris by using the services of the Fédération Française des Véhicules d’Epoque especially when they are trying to import a classic car that pre-dates the issue of certificates of conformity. which started in 1997. The car itself needs to be 30 years old to take this route as I understand it, but you can check yourself as I have never had to use this option.

There is a discussion on this very topic on SFN (Survive France Network), using this link, which some people may find useful.

Once you have the certificate of conformity the rest of the process is a breeze, subject of course to you having the other required documentation in place.

Attestation d'identification d'un vehicule importe conforme a un type national Francais - Request for a certificate of conformity via DREAL

If you cannot for any reason obtain a certificate of conformity for your car from the manufacturer then you will need to contact DREAL and you will need to arrange an inspection.

Below you have links to a location map and the website for DREAL.

  • DREAL for Languedoc-Rousillion
    This is the website for DREAL in the Languedoc-Rousillion region but don't get confused the request for the certificate goes to Perpignon at the address detailed above.
  • Map for DREAL location in Perpignan
    If you open this link you will get a map for the location of DREAL in Perpignan which you can view in a larger window if required.

UK Registration Certificate V5C

Time to exchange it for the Carte Grise

The new style registration certificate follows the same format as the Certificat d'Immatriculation (Carte Grise) in that the categories follow the same numbering system. This is particularly useful when you are filling in the form for requesting the Carte Grise because you can transpose the information from the V5C certificate to the form with a high level of confidence. See ***Tip*** below.

The certificate is left at the Prefecture when you get the Carte Grise but don't forget to tear off the 'Notification of Permanent Export' strip, fill it in and send to the DVLA.

They need this to know you are no longer liable to pay tax in the UK, if you don't send it you will end up getting a tax renewal request and non payment could mean a fine.

If your car is off the road you can advise the DVLA and fill in a SORN Statement to declare the car is not liable for tax. Ultimately however you will need to send the notification of permanent export so that you can use the car in France without being liable for UK tax.

Note if you are running the car on UK plates it is advisable to have a current UK tax disc.


Proces Verbal de Controle Technique

This is the French equivalent of the UK's MOT Certificate

In order to obtain a 'Proces Verbal de Controle Technique' for a right hand drive car you will need to change the headlights to the French standard.

In the UK when you dip your headlights they dip to the left which isn't very useful if you are driving on the right hand side of the road. So in order to drive in France and pass the controle technique you need French headlights otherwise known as 'bloc optiques'. This assumes of course that the car model you have doesn't let you adjust the headlights to conform which can be the case, so worth a check.

I have read of a few instances where people have claimed to have got their cars through a controle technique without changing their headlights at all, not quite sure how they managed that so if you want to risk it then I guess you can, I preferred to get mine changed so I could be sure.

To keep costs down it is a good idea to go to a scrapyard for replacement lights.

I paid 200 euros for mine and ironically I got them from a scrapyard directly opposite to the DRIRE office in Carcassonne. But had to speak French to sort the details out.

I then had to pay 170 euros to get them fitted, not an easy task without the right equipment, so for me worth every centime.

After that getting the 'controle technique' was fairly straightforward, I booked an appointment at a local test center (there are lots around and you don't always need an appointment). He asked to see my Carte Grise but was happy with the UK Registration Certificate and about half an hour later I had my certificate and a bill for 70 euros.

Don't forget if you car is less than 4 years old you don't need to do this step at all.


Quitas Fiscal - also known as the Certificat d'Aquisition

This is issued from you local Centre des Impots

This really is a paperwork exercise providing it is a used vehicle which you are bringing to France for personal use, it is at least 6 months old, driven more than 6000km and you can prove it was bought privately as a second hand vehicle or that you paid the VAT when you bought it new.

Under these circumstances the 'quitas fiscal' is free.

The other point to remember is that you have to use a centre des impots in the department that you are living in i.e. if your address is in Aude then you have to go to an Aude 'centre des impots'.

I personally went to the office that sits under La Cite in Carcassonne right next to the river and took the following documents: -

  • Vehicle invoice for proof of purchase
  • UK Registration Certificate
  • Proof of address

To be on the safe side I would also carry my passport as proof of identity just in case I got asked for it.

Anyway, having made an appointment, you just go into the office ask for the centre des impots and they point you to a waiting area and when it is your turn you present the necessary documents and they fill in the 'quitas fiscal' give you all your paperwork back having taken photocopies and you are done.

If you want to be super efficient you can take a set of photocopies with you which will save time and the risk of something going missing.


Yes! you really are nearly there

To get your Carte Grise you now have to apply online, it is no longer catered for at the prefecture. Go there and you will be turned away unfortunately.

You now have all the documents you need to apply for your Carte Grise.

I have provided a link below to the website where you need to apply in order to obtain your Carte Grise. Fill this in as completely as possible and then arm yourself with the following documents that you have so diligently obtained: -

  • Certificate of Conformity
  • UK Registration Certificate
  • or a Permiso De Circulacion & an import certificate from the manufacturer for a car from Spain
  • Controle Technique
  • Quitas Fiscal
  • Proof of address in France
  • Proof of identity

Applying for a Carte Grise Online

Carte de Grise (French registration Form) - Top Tip to Help You Fill it In

***Tip*** the numbering on the form is the same as on your UK Registration Certificate e.g D.1 Make is D.1 Marque on the form. Although the latest form is much simpler than the older version, with much less to fill in.


Number Plates and Insurance

Once you have French plates you need French insurance

Axa or AGF will insure you on English plates provided you can convince them you are registering your car in France and I am sure there will be other French insurers that will do the same. You will need proof of your address in France and ideally proof of your no claims from your English insurer, although they will accept this retrospectively in most cases.

I was misinformed a little when I was arranging my French insurance as I was told that more than 2 accidents in the last 3 years would mean I may not be able to get insurance (I actually had 3 accidents, but I don't want to talk about that), this proved to be bad advice, as I later found no problem provided you talk to the right companies. What was true for me however was that they did not honour my no claims protection insurance I had in the UK, basically they said an accident is an accident and rated me accordingly, ouch!!!!

The other thing to watch out for is how long it takes to arrange the insurance, some companies took weeks (yes weeks) to get back to me and I ended up taking an expensive option because I didn't inquire soon enough.

You will need French insurance in place in order to register the car, usually this can be done on English plates, but you can also ask the insurer to do it using the Vehicle Identification Number. You will of course have to send your French insurer a copy of your newly acquired carte grise so that the certificate can be updated to the new French registration once you have it, but at least you won't be in the dodgy position of running on French plates with an English insurer.

It's worth noting as well that when you come to renew your insurance the following year, say you got a really bad deal and wanted to move to another company, then you need to know that, unlike the UK, you have to inform your current insurance company in writing using a registered letter that you want to cancel your cover within 20 days of receiving the renewal notice. If you fail to do that then you will be tied in for another 12 months - so beware.

To find English speaking insurance companies in France you can try Anglo Info who have a pretty good list of available insurers. You can sometimes get reductions on your insurance by taking out house or health insurance at the same time, so worth asking.

You can order your French number plates on line for an easy life, but pretty much any garage will sort you a set out, or you can sometimes find them being done in shopping centres. I got mine from a little shop in the Geant shopping centre near the motorway junction in Carcassonne.

Don't forget screws for number plates are illegal in France and you have to use pop rivets. Also before getting your number plates ordered just double check the paperwork for the registration. I recently discovered that there was a one digit error between the document and the chassis number actually on the car. When I went to get it corrected the only way I could do it was to register the car again. The cost of the amendment was only a couple of Euros but then of course I had to go and buy new number plates which was significantly more expensive.

  • DREAL Carcassonne
    This link gives you a map for DRIRE in Carcassonne and even more importantly the scrap yard right opposite where I got my Bloc Optiques. Chemin Maquens 11000 Carcassonne

Help me to help you, let me know if this lens hit the spot - You can always get in touch to let me know where I got it right or wrong

My preference is for constructive criticism or just a good dose of flattery because flattery gets you everywhere. But constructive criticism might just help me get somewhere.

Have your say, let me know what you thought - Really would like to hear from you the good the bad or the ugly

Brian Stephens (author) from France on September 20, 2016:

If the motor home is registered, insured (also for driving in Spain) and has a control technique from France, then it should be fine to drive it in Spain. No different to driving your UK car from the UK in Europe, it all has to be legally registered, MOT'd and insured for where you want to travel.

Gmurry on September 13, 2015:

I am buying motorhome from france it has a control techniqe i am driving it to spain where i live,is the control techniqe acceptable in spain

Brian Stephens (author) from France on June 02, 2014:

@VioletteRose LM: Thanks Violette, quite a few people have already told me how useful this has been for registering their cars in France :-)

VioletteRose LM on June 01, 2014:

Wow this is great information, will be definitely helpful to so many people!

Takkhis on January 27, 2014:

Those who are thinking about this before I am sure they would all be benefited reading this lens.

traveldestinations on November 21, 2013:

Interesting to know.

Brian Stephens (author) from France on May 21, 2013:

@BLouw: Hope you are getting something nice.

Barbara Walton from France on May 21, 2013:

I'm just about to buy a new car so I'm going to be needing this information soon. Many thanks.

Brian Stephens (author) from France on March 20, 2013:

@anonymous: Hi Edie, the first thing you could try is to ask a Renault dealer to request a certificate of conformity. That's how I got mine for my Megane. If you draw a blank there you need to get in touch with DRIRE and apply for certification through them. Either option requires a form to be filled in, but for newer cars these are really the only ways you can get certification. It might be worth visiting your local Marie next time you are in France for advice, they can be very helpful.

anonymous on March 20, 2013:

Hello Brian Very good info.We have a Twingo which is left hand drive and has had 2 controle Techiques but now they want a certificate of conformity .What do I do your help needed.We have a holiday home so do not live here in Le Luc South of France


Brian Stephens (author) from France on February 16, 2013:

@anonymous: Hi Nina, yes you can but then it would need to be re-registered in England so it would be better to register it there. People might be put off if they know they have to re-register the car to use it. Also is the car a right hand drive, if not again this could put people off.

anonymous on February 16, 2013:

HI, thank you for your helpful advice .

If i register my english car in France, can I sell it in England?

thank you

kabbalah lm on February 01, 2013:

Oui mon ami, c'est tres bien :)

anonymous on December 08, 2012:

Renault Megane is the best car

Brian Stephens (author) from France on November 08, 2012:

@Melissa Miotke: Thank you

Melissa Miotke from Arizona on November 02, 2012:

Very detailed information-useful lens:)

Brian Stephens (author) from France on October 18, 2012:

@anonymous: Hi Paul, Glad the article helped you out. Moving to a new country can be quite stressful, so its nice to hear that you managed at least one aspect a little easier than it perhaps would have been.

anonymous on October 18, 2012:

Your lens has been really helpful and enabled the easy transition from UK to French registration

Many thanks for all your helpful advice......its really not that difficult to make the change over of registration if you follow this advice.

craftycollector on September 22, 2012:

Very useful. Much needed list that takes a long time to work out for yuorself. Excellent information.

Brian Stephens (author) from France on September 20, 2012:

@anonymous: Well initially I got insured through Axa, but I certainly had to pay for the privilege and would not recommend them based on the cost. You could try GSAR assurance or there are online companies like Good luck with it.

anonymous on September 20, 2012:

Very good info. However, I would like to have read which insurance company you managed to get car insurance with. Like you, 3 accidents in 3 years (2 responsible) and finding it near on impossible to get insurance.

anonymous on September 19, 2012:

megane is the best

Brian Stephens (author) from France on August 25, 2012:

@anonymous: The process is much the same for an American car, but getting the European certificate of conformity is the critical thing. That won't typically be available so you will need to apply to Drire providing details required to establish the car meets European standards.

anonymous on August 25, 2012:

I find the lens very useful. Very detailed. But this seem to apply to cars from the UK mostly. If I am buying a car from the US, what process do I follow? Does american cars conform to the french standards?

Rosetta Slone from Under a coconut tree on August 08, 2012:

Oh, the joys of the carte grise! Here in la Réunion it"s even more complicated than the mainland, even though we're technically in France. Nice lens!

DMVAgent on June 13, 2012:

Very useful information. I'm new here and this helps a lot. :)

check my lens:

GentlemenGogoVEVO on May 08, 2012:

i like your lens and super information, salut, ca va?5 5

motobidia on May 07, 2012:

Well done! I had seen and liked your lens some time ago, but now I've also featured it as a helpful resource on our "How to Export a Car from the USA" lens. I hope you like it!

kathysart on February 01, 2012:

Great lens and sooo useful for those moving to France. Angel blessed.

anonymous on October 17, 2011:

Just a couple of things worth noting for any would-be importers - I'm at the bitter end of the procedure now. There's the possibility if it's an old car with no Cert of Conf or French equivalent, that you'll have to take it to Paris to have it tested for â¬1700. This is my last option. So I'm having to re-sell it back in the UK. (Mine's a 1986 Suzuki Super Carry pickup with a camper pod on the back). Also, the DRIRE is now the DREAL.

anonymous on October 15, 2011:

Links for registering a car in France need to be checked as they do not seem to work.

buntyross on May 03, 2011:

this is a very useful informative lense on car registration in France. I need to check how the bidding goes on for fancy number in France and also the car insurance quotes.

Ruth Coffee from Zionsville, Indiana on April 24, 2011:

Good information. It's a thousand little details like registering your car, that can be so difficult when you make a big move.

Deano1979 on April 24, 2011:

Great lens lots of in fo when i go france next week


Car Body Repair

huvalbd on February 26, 2011:

By the end of this year I'll know whether I'm going to get Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. If I don't... I may need the info you put in this lens! Well done--this is the kind of thing that's hard to figure out when moving from one country to another.

Lorelei Cohen from Canada on January 05, 2011:

Well researched as always. I'll keep these tips in mind if for some reason I wind up in France ;)

ChrisDay LM on December 15, 2010:

Favourited for future ref. - thanks

Mary Norton from Ontario, Canada on March 23, 2010:

I am happy to read all the options. Maybe, it is the same process if you come from Canada.

Brian Stephens (author) from France on February 20, 2010:

@anonymous: Sorting out the documentation is the tricky part of the process, especially a CofC for an older vehicle. If you can't get a CofC from the manufacturer you have to apply to DRIRE for a certificate and that can be a bit daunting. So yes if they can sort out all the documentation for you, especially for non-standard vehicles, then that is a service worth paying for as long as the costs are reasonable. I would say its at least worth finding out what they charge.

anonymous on February 20, 2010:

Brian. Thanks for your reply. After reading a little through their website, it would seem that they can take care of all the documents for you, even the MOT, Certificate of Conformity and the other one from the tax office etc. I don't know what the cost is for their service is, but I think that if not too steep, I'd pass the whole thing over to them. I read their testimonials page too, and this looks positive. I think I'll give them a call today and see what it's all about. If it's not that good, I'll have to try doing it myself. Either way, I'll pop the result here. David.

Brian Stephens (author) from France on February 20, 2010:

@anonymous: Yes of course this is an option as well, provided you don't mind paying for the service. Personally I prefer to do things myself. Also once you have all the documents why would you need anyone else to help, at that point all you do is take it to the prefecture and register.

anonymous on February 19, 2010:

I found this website where they will actually do the whole process for you and garentee French registration and plates on your car within 24 hours after getting all the papers. They also claim that they can get all the papers for you. All you need to do is sit back and do nothing: .

Weblady on December 12, 2009:

Nice to see such a comprehensive help page for registering cars in France.

Brian Stephens (author) from France on November 09, 2009:

[in reply to Robinia] Hi Robinia, sorry to say I can't really help you on this problem. I was lucky enough to be close enough to the administration offices to not risk the post. It is always a good idea to take a photocopy of everything before you send it off just in case.

The only thing I would say is that 6 weeks in France is not that long and it might turn up yet. If your French is good enough it would be worth giving them a call, that should at least put your mind at rest and if they are dragging their feet it will probably get them moving.

anonymous on November 09, 2009:

How lovely and clear your explanations were! I have a different problem - that of buying a French car (engine blown), replacing it and then wanting to register it in a different region. We sent all the paperwork off and have heard nothing for 6 weeks. I understand that one needs to send everything registered post. Problem is that if it is lost in transit or we got the address wrong, apparently the beaurocracy dictates that it is binned. Is this true?

I fear that we will have to start all over again. Have you ever experienced buying a French vehicle with no controle technique? All help gratefully received. Robinia.

anonymous on May 10, 2009:

[in reply to Christine C] How and where did you obtain your C of Cfor the VW and was it in English or French.

Thanks and regards

Brian Stephens (author) from France on March 13, 2009:

[in reply to rms] Hi, this lens gets a consistent flow of traffic and tends to be at or near the top of my list of lenses suggesting that people are finding the information useful and are using it.

Obviously there is a limited market for this type of information as it is only really useful for people taking their cars to France but I know through experience how difficult it was to get the right information having been through the process myself.

It gives me a lot of pleasure to see that the information (which took quite a bit of research) is being used and that pretty much everything anyone needs to know about this process is here on this one site, a luxury that wasn't available to me when I did it.

Robin S from USA on March 13, 2009:

I've never been to France but I think this is a very helpful lens for people who do live there.

anonymous on February 09, 2009:

Hi Brian. Thanks for visiting me and the good comments (and of course the excellent rating) you left. It's true, focus produces good results. I learned this from Autopilot Profits, which is actually the central theme of my lens. I'm now putting theory into action, applying what I learned from this blueprint. I have no regrets investing in this program.

You have great lenses yourself Brian. I may find time to visit France in the future, and when the time comes, I know whom to ask. Keep this up, there are lots of people who would benefit from your informative posts.

Cheers and blessings!

ReyM, Autopilot Profits (

Brian Stephens (author) from France on February 09, 2009:

[in reply to Erik Lowis] My CofC from Renault was in English and didn't cause a problem so I would think yours will be fine. Only one way to find out for sure though.

anonymous on February 09, 2009:

just acquired a certificate of conformity - in English -from Toyota UK. I presume this will not cause problems at the immatriculation office?

anonymous on October 27, 2008:

I really think I could register my car in France now, it is quite new and already has a certificate for Europe so should be quite easy to register.

anonymous on October 25, 2008:

Very useful information, particularly the links to the forms you need to complete.

anonymous on October 03, 2008:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the link. I'm glad you find our content useful.


anonymous on September 12, 2008:

Thank you. I found this really interesting and people new to registering their cars in France will benefit from it. My first attenpt with a 5 year old VW was a breeze, the French VW HQ provided all the relevant detail and it went through wuickly. Not so for the second attempt with a 1998, LH drive Mercedes imported to UK from USA. I managed to get the import documents and CT sorted quickly, but the DRIRE has proved to be more difficult. It was inspected by their mechanic at the beginning of August and I'm awaiting the outcome - but not holding my breath. As a result of the delay my UK registration has lapsed, I have CT and insurance here, but am now beginning to investigate the cost of returning the car to UK, at least to re- register and possibly sell there, it's too good for the scrap heap having only done 70,000 miles. Message is, no problems with cars bought in UK, especially if they are realtively new- but not easy if purchased elsewhere.

Related Articles