This author is a former I.T. graduate turned vagabond who travelled extensively and has lived and worked in Japan for many years.
About Studio Alice
Studio Alice is a professional children’s photo studio in Japan. The company started in 1974 in Osaka, Japan. Compared to photography in Western countries, the format Studio Alice offers is quite different. If you are looking for a photo in traditional Japanese attire, this is where to go. They also have other themes to choose from. The three most popular themes are kimono, birthday and Disney.
The staff spend up to an hour choosing costumes, dressing the child, and doing hair and makeup before the photo shoot. Although Studio Alice's website is not in English, it still provides some great images to help you choose a suitable costume.
Children can dress up in traditional Japanese kimonos and have their picture taken, or you can even rent an outfit for the day to walk around in. Having your child’s photo taken in one of these outfits is a great, lasting memory and souvenir from Japan.
Types of Outfits
Kimonos are very expensive; so many people rent them for going out on special occasions or having photo shoots. Studio Alice has more than 500 outfits to choose. Costumes can be traditional kimonos, famous cartoon characters, sophisticated modern dresses for young girls, and outfits for babies. All costumes come in a range of colors and sizes to suit each child.
When you first arrive you will have a consultation with a member of staff regarding the type of the photograph package you require. There are 3 main packages which have different features included. Customer can choose a package to suit their requirements for the number of photos, free gifts, and the number of outfits they want. Alas, the staff usually doesn’t speak English at Studio Alice, and there is no English website to help you decide on a cost and package to suit you. However this is easily over come by having your hotel reception choose a package and make the booking for you.
Cost of Photo Shoot
All packages include an outfit of your choice, a hair and make-up sitting, and of course the photograph shoot. You can choose to buy your favorite photo’s in many different formats from CD, to framed photos, photo books and even to key chain fobs.
Cost will vary with greatly between each package. A typical low cost 20,000-yen package may include a photo CD, a 6 shot printed photo album, two large photos in a double photo picture frame, and two key chain fobs. They also offer pocket albums and plastic photo stands.
Studio Alice Products
Format of the Photo Shoot
The service Studio Alice offers is far cheaper and more professional than what can be bought for a similar price in western countries. The entire process can take up to 3 hours. Firstly a half hour consultation, 1 hour on choosing outfits, hair and make up, 1 hour for the photo shoot and an a half hour picking out the best pictures from the computer screen and the end.
Studio Alice Locations and Open Times
There are Studio Alice chain stores in every major city in Japan.
Kabukiza Tower 5F, 4-12-15 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, near Higashi-Ginza Station on the Asakusa and Hibiya lines.
Telephone: 0120 137 753
Open Times 10am-6pm, however some are open until 9pm in busier areas.
Here Are the Main Studio Alice Locations in Japan
English-Speaking Photography Studio In Japan
Another great option for professional photography in Japan located at Takashimaya department store on the 5th floor. Reservations must be made 2 days ahead. There are usually staff that can speak English in this department store if you need help choosing an appropriate photography package.
The Takashima Department store photo studio
Other Children’s Photo Studios in Japan
- Seibu department store 7th floor, Ikebukuro, Tokyo
- Studio Mario is another chain similar to Studio Alice
- Pinocchio Studio is another chain similar to Studio Alice
Studio Alice Terms and Conditions
- Compilation time of your order will take about two weeks; so make sure to go at the beginning of your holiday. Even book from overseas if you are in Japan for a short time. They will not deliver to overseas addresses. If you have to leave before it arrives have your hotel or local friends on forward it to you.
- All photography appointments are by reservation only. If you reserve online it includes a free gift, such as a key chain fob with a picture of your child on it.
- Very little or no English will be spoken in the store.
- You may require up to 4 hours as the selection of clothes, hair and make up will take a long time. Also if it’s hard to get a child to sit still it will take a long time to get good photographs.
- A license fee payable to Disney of 1,050 yen must be paid to include a Disney character in the photo.
- Customers are not allowed to take photographs with their own cameras during the photo shoot. A few pictures of your children in the store and trying on outfits may be allowed but must be kept it to a minimum, so don’t go overboard with snapping photos.
© 2015 Dave
Mirna on March 17, 2018:
Thank you for this post. I really want my kid to be photoed here someday