Faith is a traveler, trader, investor, and entrepreneur. A Business Administration,Virtual Assistant, Digital Marketing, and SMM specialist.
Manila Zoo: The Oldest Zoo in Asia
An Unexpected Visit to the Manila Zoo
The Manila Zoological and Botanical Garden initially opened to the public on July 25, 1959, during the administration of Manila Mayor Arsenio Lacson. The Manila Zoo took roughly a year to build and cost more than that. Its inauguration was attended by First Lady Leonila Garcia. The Manila municipal government, which counts the location as a city landmark, claims it is the oldest zoo in Asia, which is inaccurate because Tokyo's Ueno Zoo has existed since 1882. It was my first time visiting the Manila Zoo. I've wanted to visit the Manila Zoo since I was a child. I'm originally from Mindanao, and I didn't have time to visit the Manila Zoo due to my rigorous schedule while in Manila. I knew Maali, the country's only elephant, from the TV show Matang Lawin. Sri Lanka is where the elephant was born. We made the decision to visit the Manila Zoo. We bought our tickets from the Manila Zoo's ticket desk. The Manila Zoo is located on Adriatico Street in Malate, Manila. II'm looking forward to going back to the New Manila Zoo once the pandemic has gone.
PHP 100 for Adults
PHP 50 for 4ft height child below
PHP 50 for Adults
PHP 50 for 4ft height child below
They are open Monday to Sunday Including Holiday. (8 am-6 pm)
(NOTE: If you Manila resident don't forget to bring your valid ID like SSS ID, TIN ID, School ID, or Driver's License)
The Talking Parrot
The Manila Zoological and Botanical Garden
Manila Zoo's oldest resident fondly referred to as Queen Bertha, passed away. Bertha, the world's oldest hippopotamus, lived there until her death at the age of 65. Bertha had a spouse, Bert, who died several years ago, leaving her as the zoo's major attraction after the other animals died. Bertha's bones were autopsied by the bureau, but veterinarians found no signs of illness or disease that may have caused the zoo's oldest animal to die. But speculated that the hippopotamus may have perished of old age. The hippo's remains were buried in one of the zoo's unoccupied lots, but the skeleton will be taken out and kept once it decomposes.
Manila Zoo: Snake Albino Burmese Python
Great Horseback Riding Experience
Manila Zoo: This elephant is a girl named Maali from Sri Lanka
The Asian Elephant
- The only elephant in the Philippines named is Maali.
- Asian elephant captive from Sri Lanka.
- The most controversial elephant. PETA wants her to transfer Maali to Tennessee Elephant Sanctuary. They change their mind to the Bon Lotte Elephant Sanctuary in Thailand.
- Many are worried because she will transfer them if they suspect any virus that the elephant is carrying. They will kill the elephant.
- We all know that Maali is old and cannot survive to travel across the country. I hope PETA will let Maali stay in the Philippines.
- In fact, she arrived at the zoo in 1977 as 3 years old calf from Sri Lanka.
- The PETA called her the world's loneliest elephant that has lived alone.
- The oldest hippopotamus is named Bertha.
- Bertha arrived at the zoo in 1959.
- I'm so happy at least I met Bertha last year. Suddenly she died in July 2017 at age of 65.
- A post-mortem examination concludes that Bertha died due to multiple organ failures.
- In August 2011 the three tiger cubs were born. That they named them Pedring, Ramon, and the only female Quiel. Quiel is described as a fierce female.
- They named them after the typhoons that cause damage to Manila. To remind people there's hope.
- Taking pictures with the snake, crocodile, and parrot.
- Horse Riding
(NOTE: Don't worry the snake and crocodile have been taping their mouth for our safety.)
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2017 Faith Nacario