My passion for cooking leads me to travel to different places, eat authentic local dishes, and inspire everybody to cook amazing food!
Titanic Experience Cobh is a museum situated in the original office of White Star Line Ticket in Cobh Cork, Ireland. This building became the departure point of the remaining 123 passengers who joined the Maiden Voyage of RMS Titanic.
The RMS Titanic
RMS Titanic was called the “Ship of Dreams” during her time. It was built in the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Ireland. This ship was ordered by the White Star Line to compete for the ships, Mauretania and Lusitania, of its rival company Cunard Line. There were technical advancement features of the RMS Titanic compared to others, which made the public considered it as an unsinkable ship.
During the launch of the RMS Titanic on the 31st of May 1911, an accident happened when one of the beams crushed a worker’s leg. Unfortunately, the worker eventually died after all the treatment given to him. 17 men died during the entire construction of the RMS Titanic and the RMS Olympic.
Captain Edward John Smith became the commandant of the RMS Titanic at the age of 62. In order to honor his long-term service for White Star Line, the company honors him by delegating the highest position onboard. The Captain position of the most prestigious ship in the world during that time.
RMS Titanic was set to sail from Southampton to New York on the 10th of April 1912. During its travel, a near collision incident happened between the ship and another liner, which required the authorities to make a further inspection before sailing again. This incident caused the delay of the voyage for almost an hour.
After four days of a voyage on the sea, at exactly 11:40 in the evening, the starboard side of the ship hit an iceberg. The holes created by the collision allowed water to penetrate one compartment to another. The whole ship was broken in two and eventually sank at 2:20 in the morning. Signals were sent all over including to those liners within the nearby areas. Luckily, the RMS Carpathia was around. The liner was able to save at least 750 people out of 2228 passengers. After this tragedy, major changes in maritime regulations were implemented including the safety measures.
The wreckage of the ship was found in the North Atlantic Ocean on September 1, 1985. The expedition for the wreck was led by Dr. Robert Ballard. However, the founder of the Titanic believed that everything should be left in peace.
What to Expect during the Titanic Experience
- Upon paying the admission fee, a boarding pass will be given to you. The boarding pass is a replica card given to each one of the 123 passengers who boarded RMS Titanic in Cobh. All tickets are dated on 11th of April 1912.
- As a dummy passenger, you will be part of a boarding group. Then a personal tour guide for the group will take everybody on a virtual journey of the passengers during their tender ride when boarding RMS Titanic.
- This tender boat ride includes the view of the original Cruise Terminal of Cobh outside of the building premises. It is known as “Heartbreak Pier".
- There will be exhibitions of the facilities, such cabins, provided to different classes of passengers.
- A Cinematography will also be shown to the group that allows everybody to learn and to experiences all the happenings onboard before the tragedy.
- Donated items and some discovered items of passengers were exhibited in a room as well.
- The final leg of the tour will allow you to check if the name of the passenger written in your replica card survived or died during the tragedy.
Child (4 years old to 16 years old)
10:00 am to 5:30 pm from October to March (during Winter)
Student (16 years old + with valid student ID)
9:00 am to 6:00 pm from April to September (during Summer)
Adult (18 years old and over)
*Last tour will be 45 minutes before closing hours.
Senior (65 years old +)
Special Package - Family Ticket
1 Adult and 2 Children for 20.00 Euro
1 Adult and 3 Children for 22.00 Euro
2 Adults and 2 Children for 25.00 Euro
2 Adults and 3 Children for 28.00 Euro
2 Adults and 4 Children for 31.00 Euro
Did you know that 123 passengers boarded Titanic from Cobh?
Beautiful Structures to Visit in Europe
- Visiting the Parish Church of St. Michael in Southampton, England
Church of St. Michael in Southampton, England is one of the most oldest structure in the place. As a matter of fact, many times it was bombed, but managed to survive. Until now, this church continues to serve people of Southampton.
- Visiting St. Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall, Orkney
St. Magnus Cathedral was built in memory of St. Magnus, the uncle of Earl Rognvald. This historical structure has been one of the most beautiful town highlights which attracts many visitors.
- Camden Fort Meagher Experience in Cork Harbour
The Camden Fort Meagher is the coastal defence of Cork, Ireland. This Fort has been a part of both British and Irish history. In year 2013, the place was opened for public viewing. However, some areas of the Fort remained restricted to the public.
- One Day Adventure in Fira, Santorini
Santorini is a developed city from the remains of a volcanic eruption. It became famous for Fira's outstanding seaside view especially during sunset. Moreover, the very challenging 588 steps or known as "Karavolades Stairs" has been the most visited
© 2018 Travel Chef