Updated date:

The 'Old Mill' in Arkansas Is the Only Building Left From 'Gone With the Wind'

Dorothy is a Master Gardener, former newspaper reporter, and the author of several books. Michael is a landscape/nature photographer in NM.

Every wooden-looking thing in this park and around the Old Mill (walkways, handrails, bridges) are actually made of cement and crafted down to the most minute detail.

Every wooden-looking thing in this park and around the Old Mill (walkways, handrails, bridges) are actually made of cement and crafted down to the most minute detail.

A Treasured Gem in North Little Rock, Arkansas

The Old Mill, which was featured in the opening scene of the 1939 classic movie "Gone With the Wind" is a treasured gem off the beaten path in T. R. Pugh Memorial Park in North Little Rock and it is reported to be the only building standing from that film. And, you can visit it for free from dawn to dusk each day.

Placards around the area present the history of a time and operation that modern technology has left behind.

Aside from seeing the quaint old mill, you will also find impeccable landscaping on the grounds, and restrooms available. This is a place that children, as well as adults will enjoy, so the next time you are planning a trip to Arkansas, try to work in some time to visit this great park with a cultural landmark that is well worth your time.

No pets, however, are allowed in the park.

Directions:

From I-40 drive north on Hwy 107/JFK Blvd. Turn right (east) onto D Avenue, then left onto Idlewild Avenue. Turn right onto Waterside Drive, then left onto Avondale Road and drive up the hill. Turn right onto Lakeshore Drive. The Old Mill will be on the left (north) side just east of Fairway Avenue.

Phone: 501-758-1424

Admission: Free

The Old Mill in Little Rock, Arkansas is a non-working mill and was built as a replica of working gristmills of the 1800's. It was commissioned by Justin Matthews in 1932 to be built by Mexican-born artist/architect  Dionicio Rodriguez.

The Old Mill in Little Rock, Arkansas is a non-working mill and was built as a replica of working gristmills of the 1800's. It was commissioned by Justin Matthews in 1932 to be built by Mexican-born artist/architect Dionicio Rodriguez.

The bridge over the water at the Old Mill in North Little Rock, Arkansas, is as pleasing to look at as the mill itself.

The bridge over the water at the Old Mill in North Little Rock, Arkansas, is as pleasing to look at as the mill itself.

Another view of the bridge over the water at the Old Mill in North Little Rock, Arkansas.

Another view of the bridge over the water at the Old Mill in North Little Rock, Arkansas.

Justin Matthews, Visionary Developer

The Old Mill in North Little Rock, along with the entire T.R. Pugh Memorial Park of which the mill is a part of, was the claim to fame for the late real estate developer, Justin Matthews.

Matthews gave several properties to the City of North Little Rock to be used as parks - Altheimer Park on Plainview Circle; the W. C. Faucette Memorial Plot Park at the corner of Cherry Hill and JFK; the Boy Scout Park located at D. Street /Cedar and Goshen; along with many others.

The Old Mill in North Little Rock, Arkansas, is  sometimes referred to as "Pugh's Mill."  Tripadvisor.com lists the mill as the #1 place to visit in North Little Rock.

The Old Mill in North Little Rock, Arkansas, is sometimes referred to as "Pugh's Mill." Tripadvisor.com lists the mill as the #1 place to visit in North Little Rock.

The walkways and architecture of the Old Mill in North Little Rock, Arkansas are both conducive to interesting picture-taking.

The walkways and architecture of the Old Mill in North Little Rock, Arkansas are both conducive to interesting picture-taking.

The Old Mill in North Little Rock, Arkansas, never actually operated as a mill.  Developer Justin Matthews intended the mill to represent a bygone era.

The Old Mill in North Little Rock, Arkansas, never actually operated as a mill. Developer Justin Matthews intended the mill to represent a bygone era.

© 2017 Mike and Dorothy McKenney

Related Articles