Once again while I was driving to work and listening to my favorite morning radio show I heard yet another interesting discussion between the disk-jockeys that I wanted to share with you all. The topic of discussion this morning was a short list of ten different stupid things that rich people buy and spend their money on.
This reminds me of a commercial that I saw on television a while back about leasing, otherwise known as renting, a particular model of a Mercedes Benz for nearly $600.00 a month, and I thought that this was ridiculous enough. I mean come on, you're paying that much for a car to drive from point A to point B, and you don't even own it. However that was nothing when I heard about this list of ten stupid things that some rich people buy. Not all rich people, but just certain ones who obviously have nothing better to do with their money.
I've also heard of a simple 99¢ pair of rubber flip flops costing almost $100.00 at a fancy shop on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, California, and Rolex watches costing as much as hundreds of thousands of dollars, but some of the ten things listed on this list really take the cake. Sometimes certain people in this world have more money than sense, and if you are reading this and bought one of these items, then with the current state of the economy shame on you.
1) The next time you are in Las Vegas, Nevada, and you're looking for an expensive burger, just stop by Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino. You can get the FleurBurger 5000, which is Kobe beef stuffed with black truffles and foie gras, garnished with truffle sauce and served on a brioche truffle bun for $5,000. French fries are extra!
2) To wash down that expensive burger you can stop by the Talon Club and enjoy a single pour of 50-year-old single-malt Scotch whiskey. It's poured straight from a hogshead cask from the Scottish Highlands. A 1.5 ounce shot of this whiskey is $3,400 or you can get the whole bottle for $30,000.
3) In an overly bland corporate environment there are many different things used to boost some type of excitement. For the boss that gets big bonus checks there's 14 carat gold plated staples for that pretty little secretary of theirs. He can pick up 24 single staples for around $80.00 or 59.00 euros. Just remember these staples aren't intended for stapling everyday paperwork.
4) Most people who like Elvis Presley buy an album of his songs that they like listening to. There's also Tee shirts with his photograph on, postage stamps, and if you swing by Graceland the sky is the limit on Elvis souvenirs. However one person with a little more money then they knew what to do with decided to buy a lock of Elvis Presley's hair. At an auction they had the winning bid of $20,000 on lot #288 of 564, which was a lock of Elvis Presleys's hair, which his barber didn't dispose of after cutting Elvis' hair.
5) Now if a person isn't concerned about their feet being comfortable, then here's the perfect pair of shoes for them. For those women who obsess over different types of shoes, and have a stash of cash in their pocketbooks then they just might want to try on a pair of armadillo shoes. They can find a variety of armadillo shoes costing between $3,900.00 to $10,000.00. I really don't see how anyone can walk in them, but there's always different strokes for different folks.
6) They say that everything is bigger in Texas, or at least that's what the folks say in Texas. One man who really had deep pockets decided that he wanted to take up the whole town. So what did he do, he bought an entire town in the state of Texas for a mere two and a half million dollars. I guess this way he won't have to worry about nosy neighbors.
7) Now if you really have some extra money just sitting around, how about expanding your wardrobe. A man from India purchased a solid gold shirt for a whopping $230,000. He claims it's for an investment, and I believe him because I can't imagine it being all that comfortable of a shirt.
8) Now I know that there are a lot of computer geeks out there that have made a fortune from off of the world wide web. People are always trying to upgrade their personnel computer systems, and when a rich person runs out of ideas there's always additional options that they can choose from. Like a jewel covered computer mouse to do their surfing with on the Internet. They can pick up one of these gems for around $30,000. No pun intended.
9) There are big bucks made in the music industry, so it's only natural for there to be some expensive musical instruments out there in the world. A lot of money is shelled out for different musical instruments, however a violin holds the record. A person with a lot of money bought a violin for 3.9 million dollars, which is the current world record for the most expensive musical instrument ever purchased. Another high priced violin that was played by the bandmaster of the Titanic to calm passengers as it sank sold at auction for 1.4 million.
10) Normally a person's biggest living expense is their home, and that's no different for people with a little bit of money. A billionaire in India spent $2,000,000,000 on a 27 story house, skyscraper, which is located in downtown Mumbai, India for his wife and three children. The house is 550 Feet High, and a grand total of 400,000 square feet. It has 9 elevators, 6 floors of parking, three helipads, air traffic control area, family residence, maintenance floor, guest apartments, a swimming pool with a spa and gym, outdoor gardens, a fifty seat cinema, a partridge in a pear tree, and the list goes on and on just the Energizer bunny rabbit does in the commercials. Now this could possibly be called a little bit excessive. This is really a lot of over kill for housing a five member family. Just for a moment imagine all of the poor homeless families in India that a massive 27 story skyscraper of this size could comfortably shelter from the outside elements. Don't you think that this could make a tremendous difference in someone's life who isn't as fortunate? That's just something I wanted to leave for you all to think about as you finish reading this hub. I guess this beats burying all of your money in pickle jars, and I actually work with a nut case that does just that. One good thing about this is that this list of ridiculous things is out just in time for Christmas.
DennisG on March 22, 2017:
I've already thought I'd like to do research on the premise that the more money people get, the STUPIDER they become. I've read that the first thing an artist does if a piece doesn't sell, is to double the price. One artist said that more than the piece itself, people like to say, "That cost a hundred thousand dollars." Or, I recently read that somebody is making sneakers for $98 (more than I'd ever pay), that are designed to look like those of a homeless person, right down to the fact that they're partially made with duct tape. You can buy a $ 5000 hamburger in Las Vegas. Some guy in India built a 27 story house, skyscraper, for him, his wife and three children. I don't think its comforting that people in other countries are as stupid as we are.
I read constantly the incredibly stupid things that rich people send their money on.
Victoria Stephens from Cornwall, UK on February 17, 2016:
I can't imagine anyone staying rich for very long squandering the finances away like that. Imagine how many cleaners it takes for that 27 story place! That alone much be super expensive.
Nicholas white on January 23, 2016:
What a joke those shoes are ugly and a rip off and who would bye a shoe made by a armadillo
ROY T JAMES from chennai, india on January 10, 2016:
Good info. But I think these stupid expenditures are good income for the society.
on August 28, 2015:
Yeah but they earned that money, they have the right to do what they want, yes it is morally wrong , but so is war and poverty and so many other things. Just live with it and if you can't then start a charity or something.
Glensie J D on May 11, 2015:
The shoes are ridiculous. But, I have to say, just because I love burgers so much, if I have that much extra money in my bank account, I would love to try it, see if it really is worth the price. See, the burger is the only one on the list that would actually make me happy - FOOD! :) Anyway, I'll just stick with a good old Max's burger for now.
Clive Williams from Jamaica on February 25, 2015:
Some people have tonnes of cash and whatever they do, itt just keeps pouring in. They have no idea what to do with so much money so they build their dreams. Many rich people have good dreams, some selfish while others try to help others. It is quite stupid to waste money on material things while little children starve, but at the end of the day it is still their money and even though our perspective is that the children of the world is everyone's responsibility. Its not the riches job to see them fed but the governments. Very Good Hub.
JulSan on September 15, 2014:
They can waste the money here if they want
Mary Beth Granger from O'Fallon, Missouri, USA on August 25, 2014:
Wow! You are right these are some crazy expensive items. Thanks for an interesting hub!
Phillip Grobler from Polokwane on July 02, 2014:
A $5,000 burger now that's epic the most expensive food i have ever had was caviar at my wedding that was R 8,000 per bowl 300 grams (Zar) around $816 per bowl per person. It was a crazy thing to include on the menu on my costs but at the end it was worth to see a single person smile.
+up+funny+interesting, good hub keep it up
DChance on June 06, 2014:
I wonder why the house has to be so big?
greeneyedblondie on April 25, 2014:
That is an expensive violin.
Neetu M from USA on April 18, 2014:
HoleStory, you need to add cupcakes laced and sprinkled with real gold dust to this list of things - wait, let me go look for them! They were on a BBC site quite a while ago. I shall be back! :)
Brad Josh on March 26, 2014:
I cannot really believe the utter stupidity of people sometimes! I guess its their life, and it's a free world, so they can do what they want :D.
Daniela Gonzalez Herrera from Miami, Fl on January 21, 2014:
seriously? i swear this people.. too much money to waste i guess
Neil Cook from United States on December 30, 2013:
Wow! How interesting, but seriously... what is wrong with some people!?
Tolovaj on December 22, 2013:
Well, they have to spend the money somehow... So why not on stupid things?
Fun article, could be used for an inspiration for a short story!
tebo from New Zealand on November 25, 2013:
After reading your article I realize I am not as rich as I could be or as some other people could be. I am far too tight to do some of these things, probably all of them. Imagine living in that building. It would be like having your own community!. Great hub.
mywrites on November 21, 2013:
Great article. I have also read somewhere that rich buy diamond studded clothes! and obviously they wouldn't repeat wearing them. What a waste of money!!
ktnptl from Atlanta, GA on November 17, 2013:
True, who have money, they don't respect it the way it should.
Elizabeth Parker from Las Vegas, NV on November 14, 2013:
Wow. I can say for sure I would never pay $5000 for a meal...even if I had tons of money! I'm more a practical spender- not much into materialistic things! Interesting hub!
Nadine May from Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa on November 13, 2013:
That toilet paper, not to mention the skyscraper in India. How can anyone be comfortable floundering their financial wealth when so many do not even have a home to live in. But then I remembered a proverb. Possession of wealth creates an addiction to money.
Thanks for that entertaining hub.
Harish Mamgain from New Delhi , India on November 12, 2013:
Before reading this, I was under the false impression that the poor people lacked intelligence as they maintained staus quo but now I am convinced that the rich outsamart them. I enjoyed reading such a hilarious piece. So wonderful ! TheHoleStory.
Jan Brianne on November 11, 2013:
this one was a cool and interesting article!!! enjoyed it...
drbj and sherry from south Florida on November 10, 2013:
One problem with the armadillo shoes, ths. If they are made of the wrong species of armadillo, they will curl up into a ball when they feel threatened.
Could be hazardous to your feet.
Thanks for penning this neat list in time for Christmas. :)
Victor W. Kwok from Hawaii on November 09, 2013:
The rich will be weird.
DabbleYou on November 09, 2013:
Whoa, nice list and yes, their spending habits are kind of weird. It's ridiculous how some people have everything while others don't have anything.
Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on November 08, 2013:
This is very funny and very sad at the same time. It's absolutely amazing that anybody would pay so much money to buy the items that you describe. The money could be used to help so many people in need.
Alan R Lancaster from Forest Gate, London E7, U K (ex-pat Yorkshire) on November 08, 2013:
If a dram costs $3,400 and the bottle $30.000, it'd be cheaper to buy the distillery and give the middleman the boot.
If you're talking about the 'fiddle', a Stradivarius in good nick could put you back for the price of a couple of distilleries and the land they're built on - not to mention the castle in the loch at the end of the road.
[How about 'Wee Nessie' for a brand name that would pull in every punter on the Strip? - a dram of 'Wee Nessie' might set you to rights after a hard day at the office watching your executive toys]
Bronwen Scott-Branagan from Victoria, Australia on November 08, 2013:
It would be funny, if all those things you wrote about were not true, but those excesses are so over the top that it's desperately sad that people in their own countries are living in poverty and squalor. What a world we live in!
MaeMG on November 08, 2013:
I can understand purchasing things of high quality, but there is a line between quality and excessive luxury. Interesting hub -- was a joy to read. Helps to put things into perspective.
Sally Gulbrandsen from Norfolk on November 08, 2013:
Excess to the extreme - I wonder if all these possessions make the people happy! I think that going to Africa and working and financing children in poverty might be a much more rewarding spend but that is just my opinion. As you say, different strokes for different folks.
Silva Hayes from Spicewood, Texas on November 08, 2013:
Wow, how do they sleep at night? They could feed, clothe, and educate every needy child in the world with that kind of money. This is all hilarious; what fools. The shoes look like alien shoes. I thought one of those mega-yachts might be on the list. Can you imagine maintaining and staffing one of those monsters? A really different and thought-provoking hub.
The Examiner-1 on November 08, 2013:
I cannot believe those shoes. Besides being uncomfortable, who would want to wear them in public?! And that house - ridiculous.
I thought that basically all of that was silly and funny but some people do crazy things for unknown reasons.