Nicole is a travel enthusiast and enjoys bonding with her family on vacations across the globe.
Whether you're a big city lover or prefer to stay in one place all year, it's still important to take the time to get out and enjoy the beautiful destinations around the world. In fact, vacations are just as essential for your mental health as they are for your physical health!
Motivations to Take a Family Vacation
Looking to take a family vacation this year? Los Angeles is the perfect destination! Here are some reasons why you should add LA to your list:
- Los Angeles is one of the most diverse cities in the United States. You'll find everything from downtown LA with its iconic landmarks, to the beaches and coastal communities of Santa Monica and Malibu.
- Los Angeles has something for everyone. From world-renowned museums, such as the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA), to exciting theme parks like Disneyland, there's never a dull moment when you're in Los Angeles.
- The weather in LA is always perfect. Whether you're looking for a hot summer day on the beach, or a cool fall evening under the stars, Los Angeles has it all.
- Los Angeles is home to some of the best restaurants in the country, and there's always something new to try. If you're looking for a romantic dinner out, or want to try some of the city's most popular ethnic restaurants, Los Angeles has them all.
How to Plan a Budget When Going on Vacation
If you're like most families, vacation time is always just around the corner, but never enough money. Planning a budget can be daunting, but with a little creativity and some help from your family, you can make it happen. Here are a few tips to help get started:
- Think about what activities or attractions you want to visit. This will help narrow down what costs to include in your budget. For example, if you want to visit Universal Studios, expect to spend around $50 per person per day on admission tickets and snacks.
- Create a prioritized list of expenses. Which items are the most important to you and your family? Once you know what's required for each activity, start filling in the blanks with estimated prices from popular tourist destinations.
- Utilize public transportation and stay within your budget. If you plan on visiting multiple tourist destinations during your trip, consider using public transportation between destinations instead of renting cars every time. Rental cars can easily rack up additional costs that you may not have anticipated.
- Pack light! This may seem counterintuitive, but packing too much will only add costs to your trip. Bring along only the necessary supplies for each person and place.
Tips for Visiting LA with Kids
There's no need to feel guilty about taking a family vacation to Los Angeles. In fact, there are plenty of things to do and see in the city that are perfect for kids. Here are a few tips to help make your trip go as smoothly as possible:
Assess the age level of your children. Some things are best for older kids, while others may be more appropriate for younger ones. For example, the Griffith Observatory offers excellent views from the top of its hill but is best suited for older children. If you have younger kids, they might enjoy going on rides at Disneyland or Universal Studios.
Make a schedule and stick to it. This is especially important if your children are young and tend to get overwhelmed by busy places like airports and amusement parks. Set aside specific times for each activity and stick to them, so there's less chance of chaos later on.
Bring snacks and drinks with you. This way, you won't have to stress about finding food or drinks on your trip. If you're traveling with a baby or toddler, pack extra diapers, wipes, and formula, so you're not running out during busy moments.
Where to Stay in Los Angeles?
If you're looking for a family-friendly place to stay in Los Angeles, I've got you covered. Here are five of the best hotels for families in the city.
The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel is a great option if you're looking for something close to the action. This hotel has a variety of kid-friendly amenities, like an arcade and pool. Plus, it's only a mile from Hollywood Boulevard.
If you're looking for a little bit more of a suburban feel, The Westin Bonaventure Los Angeles is perfect. This hotel offers plenty of activities for families, like mini golf and a pool. Plus, it's only 10 minutes from downtown LA.
If you're looking for something on the luxurious side, The Beverly Hilton is always a good choice. This hotel has an indoor pool and spa, as well as plenty of kid-friendly amenities, like a game room and movie theater.
And if you're looking for something more affordable, The Extended Stay America Santa Monica offers reasonable rates with plenty of family-friendly features. This hotel has an outdoor pool and playground, as well as free Wi-Fi and breakfast included in the price.
Things to do in LA
One great way to enjoy a family vacation in Los Angeles is by taking a tour of some of the city’s top attractions. Here are five to consider:
The Hollywood Sign – This iconic landmark is located just outside of Hollywood and can easily be seen from the freeway. The sign is a tribute to Hollywood’s early days and features the letters “Hollywood” spelled out in 3,000 light bulbs.
Disneyland – This popular theme park is located in Anaheim, but many visitors also make a day trip to Los Angeles to see it. Disneyland features rides, shows, and character encounters that will keep any family entertained.
Universal Studios Hollywood – This theme park is home to movie-themed attractions like Universal’s Islands of Adventure, which includes an array of rides, shows, and attractions themed after movies such as Jurassic Park, Despicable Me, and Harry Potter.
LA Live – Located within downtown LA, this entertainment complex features venues such as the Staples Center and L.A. Live Amphitheater that offer both music and movie performances.
Griffith Observatory – One of the most popular tourist destinations in Los Angeles, Griffith Observatory offers visitors an opportunity to view the city skyline!
Traveling with Kids in Los Angeles
The City of Angels is known for its cool climate, stunning scenery, and diverse culture. It’s a great place to take a family vacation and explore all that this amazing city has to offer. Here are three tips for traveling with kids in Los Angeles:
- Don’t be afraid to get out and explore. Los Angeles is home to some of the most famous tourist destinations in the world, so there’s no need to stay in one place all day. Head out to Hollywood Hills, Griffith Park, or the Venice Beach Boardwalk for a fun day out.
- Plan your trip around kid-friendly events and attractions. LA is home to plenty of fun attractions that will keep your little ones entertained. Check out the California Science Center or any of the museums located in downtown LA. There are also plenty of amusement parks like Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland nearby.
- Drive rather than fly when visiting Los Angeles. The city is huge, and there’s no need to waste time getting from one place to another by flying. Drive out to Orange County or Pasadena for a weekend getaway and explore some of the beautiful countryside that surrounds the city.
Places to Eat and Shop in LA
Looking for a place to eat or shop in Los Angeles? Here are some of my favorite spots!
- Cafe Gratitude: This popular vegan cafe offers healthy, delicious food and an atmosphere that's perfect for taking a break from the city. From breakfast to dinner, you can't go wrong with anything on the menu.
- Smorgasburg: If you're looking for fresh fruit and vegetables, Smorgasburg is the place to go. This outdoor market has everything from produce to seafood, and it's always bustling with activity.
- Farmer's Market at The Grove: If you're looking for more of a boutique experience, head to The Grove Farmer's Market. This market features local vendors selling everything from cheese to clothes, and there's always something new on offer.
- The Grove Farmers Market: If you're looking for a larger selection of organic foods, The Grove Farmers Market is the place to go. This market has been open since 1928, and it's usually packed with locals looking for fresh produce.
If you're looking for a perfect getaway, look no further than Los Angeles! This city is home to some of the world's most iconic attractions and landmarks, making it the perfect place to take your family for an unforgettable vacation. From Universal Studios Hollywood to The Getty Museum, there is something for everyone in this beautiful city. Whether you want to explore on your own or have some amazing experiences with loved ones by your side, Los Angeles is the perfect destination for a family vacation.