One of the hardest things to get your head around while travelling in a foreign country is to get your head around the price of things in that country. Especially in southeast Asian countries where all the locals are trying to make a buck out of the westerner. I hope this hub can give you a rough idea on prices of things in Bali as of June 2018. These prices are what i have paid for things and i think considering the exchange rate that they are pretty good value for money. But i am sure that other peoples bargaining skills are superior to mine and most of the things i purchased were only in small quantities. You will get an even bigger bargain if you buy items in bulk. The main thing to remember is to have fun while bartering and don't get upset over a few thousands rupiahs considering five thousand rupiahs is only about 20 US cents.
For first time traveller to Bali a stay in Kuta is a must. it is a vibrant and sometimes crazy part of the island full of market stalls, places to stay, places to eat and thousands of scooters buzzing around the streets. One of the most common things that a tourist will buy in Kuta is a famous bintang singlet. Just about every stall holder in Kuta sells them in a variety of sizes and colors. The quality does vary and so does the price if you are not on your toes. Most traders will initially offer you a price of around 50.000rp to 70.000rp. But for a single singlet you should not pay any more than 20.000rp or about $US 1.50. You will even get a better deal for buying in bulk. Other prices of clothing items are as follows
- knock off brand name t-shirt (ripcurl, billabong etc) - 40000rp (US$2.80)
- knock off shorts (hurley, fox, billabong) - 50.000rp (US$3.50)
- little kids fairy dresses - 35.000rp (US$2.50)
- Bintang towels - 30.000rp (US$ 2.10)
- Fake converse shoes - 100000rp (US$7.60)
- Fake Rolex watches - 50.000rp - 200.000rp ( US$4.30-10.00)
- NBA Basketball Singlet - 100000rp (US$7)
Now these prices are just a guide and like i said if you bargain hard or buy in bulk you will get if for a smaller price. But four dollars for a kids fairy dress if a pretty good price. These prices are based on an exchange rate of 14000rp for one US dollar.
Eating and Drinking
These are literally hundreds of places to eat and drink in Bali, from five star restaurants to men riding around on food carts selling soto ayam (chicken soup). Food in Bali is absolutely delicious and is so cheap you have to be careful not to pile on the pounds while on holiday. Here are some examples of prices and remember this is in Kuta, when you go out further on the island the prices get even cheaper.
- Mie Goreng (fried noodles) - 20.000-35.000rp (US$2.32- $4.06)
- Nasi Goreng (fried rice ) - 20.000- 45.000rp ( US$2.32- $5.23)
- Gado Gado ( vegetables and tofu in peanut sauce) 15.000-30.000rp (US$1.74- $3.48)
- Soto Ayam (Chicken Soup) 15.000rp (US$1.74)
- Large Bintang Beer - 25.000rp (US$2.90)
- Small Bintang Beer - 15.000rp (US$1.74)
- Pizzas - around 70.000rp (US$8.00)
- Can of Coke 10.000rp (US$1.16)
Remember these prices are for restaurants and in Kuta they are all about the same price. If you want Bintangs or Cokes cheaper then you can go to the mini-marts and pay around half.
In Kuta your transport options are virtually limited to your imagination. You can jump on the back of a scooter or board a very dodgy public bemo. My preferred mode of transport in Kuta is a Blue Bird Taxi. They are clean and most have good air conditioning. If going on longer trips to Ubud for example, you can hire a car that seats up to eight people and a driver that will wait for you at ever stop for a very reasonable amount of money. If you really want a true Kuta experience then hiring a scooter could be the way for you to get around. There don't seem to be any road rules in Bali but you witness very few accident and no road rage at all. Some examples of prices are
- Blue Bird Taxi - 6.000rp flag fall then about 4.000rp for each km ( a trip from the airport into Kuta should cost no more than 30.000rp ( US$3)
- Scooter hire with insurance - 50.000-70.000rp (US$4.30- $6.00) per day
- Car with Driver for a day - 400.000-550.000rp (US$34.00- $47.00)
- Public Bemo - from 1000rp (US$0.10) depending on the trip
A word of warning is don't let a taxi driver tell you there meter is not working. Just get out a find a taxi that has a working meter. All Blue Bird taxi will have a working meter and they are very professional. Whichever mode of transport you take the driver will always have a brother that owns a good shop somewhere. You can always politely say no thank you.
Bits and Bobs
Here is a quick list of anything else that you might need while staying in Bali
- Laundry per 10 items - 20.000rp (US$1.70)
- Pkt Lucky Strike 20s - 20.000rp (US$1.1)
- Hair Braiding - 50.000-100.000rp (US$4-9)
- Bottles of Water 1 litre - 1.500rp (US$0.13)
- DVDs or CDs pirated - 10.000rp (US$0.70) if you buy ten you get six free
You can see that prices are very cheap in Bali and peoples sole income is from the tourist trade so try to tip generously because one dollar to you is a whole lot of money for a Balinese person. If you have any enquires about Bali in general please drop me a line. Price were good for October 2013 based on an exchange rate of US$1 = 14.000rp
A great Kuta establishment
- Queens of India
A great place to go and get curry or a cold Bintang
Great Exchange Rate
Ask me any questions about good deals in Bali
peachy from Home Sweet Home on December 29, 2014:
i want to try gado gado, the rest of the menu we can get them here in malaysia
Jodie on August 21, 2013:
I have a friend going to Bali and I want her to get my kids some knock off dirk shirts. Do you know if there is a site so I can look at some and pick out what I want from the pictures ?
Snowy on June 29, 2011:
Thanks for the info, you are a legend!!!!!!!!!!
Hello Bridget on April 08, 2011:
Very informative! Hope will attract others :) For additional info, the sellers somehow will raise the price for foreigner. For exp, they offer temporary tattoo for about 20usd to the foreigner, while me, only paid around 5usd with same model and size! So atleast try bargain for what u want to buy. I mean it, everything basically are soo cheap! The price mentioned here are reasonable :) good job buddy!
jackavc (author) from Australia on March 16, 2011:
Thanks for reading cyrstolite
Emma from Houston TX on March 16, 2011:
Great hub,thanks for writing.
jackavc (author) from Australia on March 15, 2011:
No worries drbj. Bali is a magical place
drbj and sherry from south Florida on March 14, 2011:
Thank you, jackavc, for this beautiful and informative hub on Bali. When things settle down a bit in that corner of the world, I hope to visit again.