I am a travel enthusiast who loves to write about nature and wild animals.
Are you thinking of a vacation in Africa and want to see the big five there? If your answer is yes, then Kenya is just the right place for you. When I think of Kenya, then the first word that comes to my mind is Safari.
It has around 22 National Parks and 28 National Reserves. The world has always know Kenya as one of the best places for safari trips, as it gives world-class game drive options. Check the list below to find some famous places to see in Kenya.
- The Masai Mara National Reserve.
- Lake Nakuru National Park.
- Nairobi National Park.
- Amboseli National Park, etc.
Nairobi National Park is one of the best places in Kenya that extends a great game drive. It is located inside the city that enhances the fun of the trip.
Choose a reason to visit there
There are various reasons one should visit Nairobi National Park. Which one is yours?
- Are you on a business trip and do not have enough time to go on a safari trip? Take out only four to five hours before your return flight and take a grand safari and make your visit grand.
- Are you on a holiday trip and tired after taking a long flight? Take some rest before you can use your free time to start your African tour with the Nairobi National Park trip. This trip can set your expectations high for the rest of your vacation.
- Are you a resident? Then why are you waiting? Plan a Sunday trip to Nairobi National Park with family and friends. Go there to enjoy a game drive and feel close to nature.
It is fine to go there with none of these reasons. Go there and enjoy the day.
How to reach there?
It is located nearly seven to 10 KM away from the Nairobi city center. Take a ride from the hotel or airport, and in the next 10 to 15 minutes you are ready to go inside the National Park. It is so easy to connect the place from any parts of the city.
- If one enjoys driving, then rent a car to go there. Enjoy the game drive, and drive through the National Park.
- Many tour companies provide a daily safari drive in Nairobi at a fair rate. They give good service, and they are affordable too. The fees are about $120 to $150 for eight-seater safari van. One can share the trip expenses with others by sharing the extra seats of the van. That makes the trip a pleasant one.
- There may be some drivers found near the park gate who offer a game drive. Visitors can hire them right from there too.
Check the below map for more details on the location. This can give a much better idea on the site.
Timing and entry fees
The Nairobi National Park opens between 6 AM to 6 PM and seven days a week for the public. The entry fees for the Parks are as follows. Do not forget to bring an ID card.
Visitors entry fees
- Vehicles with less than six seats: KSH 300
- Vehicles with 6 to 12 seats: KSH 1,030
- Vehicles with 13 to 24 seats: KSH 2,585
They do not take cash payment for entry fees. Visitors can pay the entry fees by a VISA debit card, credit card or by m-pesa only. Kenya forest services do not receive a cash payment at any of the national parks or any places run by them.
Nairobi National Park game drive
Nairobi National Park is the only national park in the world that resided inside a city. The boundary of the National Park is enclosed by electrical fences. It shields the animals inside and assures no clash with humans.
While going to Nairobi National Park, start the trip early in the morning to enjoy the best game drive. Most of the animals like to stay inside the shades once the sun is young and shines brightly. The early one starts the trips, the more the chances of seeing the animals. The sight of the animal with the city high-rises at the back is a unique one. Visitors can enjoy this view only in Nairobi National Park.
One can find the lion-pride hunting for a meal inside the Park. The total span of the trip may vary from four to six hours based on the interest. The tour vehicles use radio messaging to inform one another about the places where the animals are moving. It is good to use a pop-top roof vehicle for the best view.
Visitors can see below animals inside the National Park.
Lions, Rhinos, Giraffes, Zebras, Antelopes, African Buffaloes, Ostriches, Warthogs, Hippos, Crocodiles, and Varieties of birds.
Lions are the unique charm of the park. Most of the visitors may be found tracking lions inside the park. But the rhinos and giraffes are also great to watch.
We encounter the Lion crossing the road
On exit, one can meet Kenya’s Maasai tribe. They are very bold and brave warriors. They dare to face the lion with a stick. Get some time to interact with them, jump with them (the Maasai jump), sing, and dance with them. They charge a little money to take video and photos with them. Click some nice pictures to support and promote them.
Visitors can enjoy a lunch after the tiring game drive in the restaurant out there. It serves a range of yummy food. This may be the start of an African vacation. But it can give insights into African wildlife. This will set visitors expectation high for the rest of their trips.
Thanks for reading this article. Please share your views and questions in the comment section.
Dshibu (author) from Nairobi on August 23, 2019:
Thanks for reading and appreciating.
Bridgette Crowe from Morrow on August 21, 2019:
I love that you included park information and prices. Pictures are great. Thank you for such a nice artical.
Dshibu (author) from Nairobi on August 17, 2019:
Thank You @Liz Westwood for taking your time reading this. This is my initial article and comment like this from you is a real boost.
Liz Westwood from UK on August 17, 2019:
You have combined useful information with great illustrations in this helpful article.