Ms. Inglish is a successful Employment & Training pro, setting Midwest regional records with tens of thousands placed in gainful employment.
Keep Austin Weird - Slogan of the Austin Independent Business Alliance
Austin is a Prosperous Community
The large city of Austin has prospered, even through the Great Recession of 2008 - 2010, its businesses expanded and joined by new ventures and its population increasing as well. The increases require more workers in service industries to handle the increased traffic flow of individuals and families needing goods and services.
Healthcare businesses are increasing, requiring additional workers at the same time that nurses and doctors in the Baby Boom cohort are retiring. Most businesses require Informational technology systems in order to operate, increasing workers in those fields. Energy and Engineering are industrial sectors that are expanding with the other businesses in and around Austin, especially in light of advances in the Aerospace Industry and Sustainability.
Greater Austin Area
Weird Sights to See
Austin on Amazon
Bat Bridge of Austin
Unique Austin Festivals
From the middle of December through Christmas Eve, Austin holds the Armadillo Christmas Bazaar. Fine arts are for sale among interludes of live music performances of the Armadillo Music Festival. Live radio broadcasts originate from the bazaar most days and concessions are available, including locally brewed beers.
Location: Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Road, Austin, Texas 78704.
The Austin City Limits Music Festival is held Zilker Park on two three-day weekends every October.
The Austin Bat Fest is less formal and held often at dusk, but mostly during summers, at the Ann W. Richards Congress Avenue Bridge. People gather to watch the clouds of bat emerge from underneath the bridge in the evenings. The local Austin Ice Bats hockey team was named for the Mexican bats, which travel back to Mexico during the winter months.
Employment Trends: Jobs Advertised Doubles
Employment Opportunities are Excellent In Austin
- New jobs were on the increase during the first six months of 2012 with 15,000 jobs available within a 25-mile radius of the city before June.
- During the same time period in 2015, advertised jobs for this same area increased to over 28,300 open employment opportunities.
- By February 2016, over 34,000 job openings were advertised.
Engineering provides over 4,000 jobs advertised, including Information Technology (IT).
- High Tech jobs, including IT, offer over 8,600 Austin area positions overall in March 2015.
Top High Demand Job Titles:
- IT Project Managers
- Software Engineer/Senior Software Engineers
- Network Engineer/Senior Network Engineers
- SEO Specialists
- Quality Assurance Engineers
- Product Development Engineers
- Design Verification Engineers
- Systems Engineers
- Technical Sales Engineer/Account Managers
- Java Developers
- Test Engineers
Other high demand jobs related to the above positions include:
- Systems Analysts
- Business Analysts
- Retail Sales Supervisors
- Project Program Management Consultants
- .Net Developers
- Web Developers
- Software Developer/Analysts
Renewable Energy Jobs in Austin
- Austin Energy
GreenChoice programs and projects.
- KVUE online
Austin Green Roof Project - combatting urban heat islands.
Oil and Natural Gas Employment in Austin
While controversy roils over the Keystone Pipeline since late 2011 (legislation vetoed by President Barack Obama in early 2015), some jobs exist for Austin in Oil & Natural Gas with the following companies.
- Murphy Oil - Gas station managers and some crew positions.
- GE Energy
- University of Texas at Austin
- Surveying And Mapping, Inc.
- GDH Consulting
- Kleinfelder, Inc.
NOTE: The Austin company called DrillingInfo announced on March 5, 2012 that it had raised $165,000,000 in new financing for the Oil & Natural Gas Industry.
MarketWatch announced on the same day that Texas Gulf Energy Incorporated planned to start well re-entry and optimization in the Austin chalk field near Luling, Texas, using 13 new crude oil wells.
Luling, Texas Oil Field Expansions
New Hospital Jobs 2015 - 2025
Nursing Careers in Greater Austin
Over 1,500 employment vacancies were listed for the Greater Austin Area. These included Registered Nurses (RNs), Case Manager Nurses, Physical Therapy Assistant Nurses, Rehab Nurses, Operating Room Nurses, and others.
TRAVEL NURSING is big in the Austin Area, with increased rates of pay, wider range of benefits, travel expenses, and even mortgage or rent payments for up to one year. Some "Travelers" feel that this career affords work and vacation all at once. Major companies in Austin hiring all of these nurses include.
- South Austin Hospital
- St. David's Medical Center/St. Davids Medical Care
- North Austin Medical Center and Seton Family of Hospitals (tied)
- Round Rock Medical Center
- Maxim Healthcare Services
- Cedar Park Regional Medical Center
- Heart Hospital of Austin
- Harden HealthCare
- Core Medical
- Various Medical Staffing Agencies
Physicians' Jobs Are Increasing.
High Demand For Physicians: An overall increase in advertised jobs for physicians in Greater Austin occurred from 2011 - 2016.
The numbers of physician's employment vacancies increased from January 2011 through January 2012. By June 2015, Austin employers listed over 12,000 openings for Physicians and Registered Nurses (RN and BSN). These types of listings include Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Medical Assistants, and similar.
Significant Increase In Physician Job Listings
Top 5 Largest Employers
This Top 5 List of organizations to employ and recruit the largest employee pools around Austin are:
- The State of Texas
- The University of Texas
- SETON Healthcare Network
Employment Trends Indicate Significant Growth
Although 14,870 job vacancies were advertise daily on average during spring and early summer 2011, this number grew to over 35,000 job postings in May-June 2015. All jobs are located within a 25-mile radius of city center.
Highest Demand Job Postings:
- Software Engineers
- Nurses - All certifications and training levels
- Network Engineers
- Senior Software Engineers
- Administrative Assistants
- Co-Op Engineers
- Restaurant jobs
- Project Managers
- Instructional Designers
- Quality Assurance Engineers
- Technical Writers
- Product Development Engineers
- Account Executives/ Financial Advisors
- Design Verification Engineer
- Electrical Engineers
- Storage Software QA Engineers
- Network Operations Center Engineers
- Sales Engineers
- Systems Engineers
Companies Posting the Most Jobs
- Austin Focus - Event Planning and Coordination
- Pizza Hut -All Levels of positions
- Wells Fargo - Banking and Finance
- CRST Expedited Trucking
- Tallgrass Talent Group
- Hilton Worldwide
- Home Depot - Home Improvement
Top 10 Careers in Austin Through 2025
The Top 10 Fastest Growing Jobs in capital Austin, Texas begin with Choreographer and also include Healthcare and Engineering positions, Education professionals, Oil Industry workers, Performers' Agents, IT staff, Bus Drivers and Fast Food Cooks. Even the last job on this is increasing by over 40% by 2014.
Top 10 Careers & Increase
Job Titles projected to increase fastest from 2008 to 2018 are listed below with increases of 35% to 56% during the decade ending in 2018:
- Network Systems & Data Communications Analysts (high of 56% among all fastest growing jobs)
- Home Health Aides
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Mainstream Middle School Teachers
- Personal & Home Care Aides
- Mainstream Secondary School Teachers
- Education Administrators for Elementary & Secondary School
- Compliance Officers
- Physical Therapists
- Heating, Air Conditioning, & Refrigeration Mechanics & Installers
Additional Fast Growing Jobs
- Hotel, Motel, & Resort Desk Clerks
- Dental Assistants
- Dental Hygienists
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Teacher Assistants
- Fitness Trainers & Aerobics Instructors
- Instructional Coordinators (35% increase)
Native American Businesses
- Chenega Corporation
- Native American Images
- Native American Seed Company - Heritage seeds produced in America.
- TurquoiseTrading Post
- Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corp
Whole Foods HQ
Colleges and Universities in the Greater Austin Area
- Academy of Oriental Medicine at Austin - http://www.aoma.edu/
- Austin Community College
- Austin Graduate School of Theology
- Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
- Concordia University at Austin
- Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest
- Huston-Tillotson University
- Saint Edward's University
- Texas Health and Science University -- Private university that offers graduate degrees in business, acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine (TCM).
- University of Texas - Austin
- Riverland Community College
Sport Opportunities in Austin
Minor League Teams
- Round Rock Express at the Dell Diamond
- Austin Lightning at the Tony Burger Center
- Austin Outlaws at the House Park
- Austin Wranglers at the Frank Erwin Center
- Austin Toros at the Austin Convention Center
College Teams: Texas Longhorns
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS
Melody Cornelius on October 20, 2015:
Thank you for this content-rich and very useful article!
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on March 05, 2012:
New money for oil drilling and a new hospital in Austin are leading to new jobs during 1st and 2nd Qtr 2012.
Nolen Hart from Southwest on October 16, 2011:
Austin leads the nation in "weird jobs". I suppose as a stay at home writer and Hubber in Austin I'm part of 'em.
ceholmes from Chicago on May 20, 2010:
Wonderful article. This is important and very informative.
kunlealade on July 11, 2008:
This is very helpful.
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on January 22, 2008:
Thanks for visiting Prince Maak. You're still making great requests!
Prince Maak from Just Above the EARTH and below the SKY on January 22, 2008: