Ms. Inglish has 30 years experience in medicine, psychology, STEM instruction, history; and aerospace education for USAF Civil Air Patrol.
Top 20 Retirement Cities in Florida
Palm Harbor has been ranked as a top retirement community in Florida by organizations like WalletPop, 55+, CNNMoney, and others.
The city is appealing, because Florida has no state income tax and Palm Harbor is not incorporated - therefore, the government levies few or no taxes of its own in Pinellas County other than by local referendum. This means little or no tax.
Palm Harbor sits approximately halfway down the western coast of the state on the Gulf of Mexico. Local restaurants serve not only American and regional Floridian cuisines, but also Tex-Mex with the influence of Florida and diverse cultures, as in FloriMex Cuisine.
Active Community Attractions
Prior to the American Civil War, people migrated southward to Florida to take advantage of citrus groves and mineral springs that gave rise to health resorts in a mild climate where the temperature is usually in the mid-60 degrees F all winter.It was paradise!
Fishing was good in the Gulf of Mexico and farming was successful as well, especially the citrus orchards. Many people moved into the area from 1860 to 1880.
Local unincorporated neighborhoods beside Palm Beach today include East Lake, Crystal Beach with its long-time Live Oak City Park, and Ozona; all of which combine to form the larger community.
Palm Harbor is governed by the Pinellas County Commission and the three smaller neighborhoods have some form of community organization or member's club that acts as government.
The Palm Harbor Community Services Agency is a non-profit with a Board of Directors that serves to govern local operations, programs, and public library and recreation facilities. The Palm Harbor Library is especially active, with a total of 150 active volunteers beyond their 24 staff persons. it is a cultural center and meeting place for the community that provides many educational and entertaining programs and events, including concerts and a lively book club.
The Palm Harbor Community Center adds additional entertainment and classes, so there is always something to do at the Library or the Center. In addition, green space is located in a dozen local recreational parks and outdoor sports are provided for adults, youth, and children. Hiking, biking, and fishing are still popular.
Countryside Mall is 15 miles south of town along Route 19 and for tennis and golf, Innisbrook Resort is in town.
Houses of Faith
For retirees to whom faith is a part of life, then a number of denominations are available in Palm Harbor:
- Baptist: Abundant Life Baptist, Berea Baptist, Bible Baptist, Curlew Baptist
- Other Mainline Churches: East Lake United Methodist, Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, New Life Church, New Purpose Community Church, Palm Harbor Community Church, Presbyterian Church of Palm Harbor, St. Alfred's Episcopal, St. Luke Catholic, SS Helenix Orthodox Church
- Jewish Temples: Temple Ahavat Shalom
- Other Houses: Christ Church, Crossroads Chapel,Grace Covenant Church, Jehovah's Witnesses Palm Harbor, LDS Church, Lutheran Church of the Palms, Unity Church of Palm Harbor and Word of Faith.
- Local Sports include the Palm Harbor Nighthawks under US Soccer, which is working to bring the World Cup to the US in 2018 or 2022. Tampa is a candidate city.
Pinellas County offers an extensive system of buses, trolleys, loop routes, shuttles, and other options. Some routes extend into other, nearby counties. Senior Citizen prices are much reduced.
The Clearwater Jolley Trolley car runs every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for senior citizens or anyone else that wants convenient, inexpensive transportation around the area, especially for errands, dining, and shopping.
Old Palm Harbor Main Street
The historic region of Palm Harbor's downtown district is preserved and developed by the Old Palm Harbor Main Street organization. This is a non-profit corporation working in partnership with county government since 1999 to provide business and communty services as well as such events as
- First Fridays celebrations
- Palm Harbor Days founders' festival
- Christmas & Holiday Parades
- Palm Harbor Parrot Head Party
- Palm Harbor Bike Fest and Car Show
- Citrus Festival
- Craft Fairs
Further, improvements to infrastructure were completed in 2006 and ongoing development is likely.
Education, Personal Enrichment and Training
- Eckerd College is the only private national liberal arts college in Florida, is located on a waterfront setting in St. Petersburg.
- Palm Harbor Library
- Palm Harbor University High School is a high-performing, nationally recognized school that has developed a curriculum to meet the needs of a diverse student population. It offers an innovative traditional program coupled with the International Baccalaureate Program and others.
- Try the local Central Florida Institute Medical and Dental Training Schools at http://www.cfi.edu -- Explore a new career at the Tampa and Orlando Medical and Dental Training Schools. Study and become accredited training as a Medical Assistant, Dental Assistant, Cardiovascular Technician, Sonographer, and others with these programs.
Employment and Economy
Most Frequently Listed Job Openings
High demand jobs have increased to over 39,100 listed vacancies in May 2018. The highest demand openings listed below are within 30 miles of the downtown district of Palm Harbor.
Unemployment in he Tampa Bay Area is 3.2% for the first quarter of 2019 and new jobs are increasing, o there is plenty of work if senior citizens or any adult would like to find a job.
Hot Jobs in the Palm Harbor Metro Area
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Mechanics - Truck and Auto
- Truck Drivers with CDL
- Certified Nurses' Assistants (CNAs) and Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Retail Salespeople
- Business Analysts
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapists
- Software Applications Engineers
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Managers and Assistant Managers
- Landscapers and Helpers
- Restaurant General Managers, Casual Dining and Fast Food Team Members and Crew
Top Hiring Companies
- Bay Care Health System
- Care.com and various other healthcare recruiters
- Florida Hospital Tampa
- Tampa General Hospital
- Speedway Gas and Convenience Centers
- Moffitt Cancer Center
- McDonald's, Checker's Drive-In
- Advance Auto Parts
- Winn Dixie Supermarkets
- John Hopkins All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg
Highlight: Bay Care Health System
This complex was named to the Top 100 Best Places to Work In Florida during the summer of 2009 and has remained near the top of the list.
This employer happens to be the largest community-based healthcare system in Florida West Coast Region, or Tampa Bay Area.
The system of hospitals and clinics serves Clearwater, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Palm Harbor and surrounding communities across the Tampa Bay market area. The hospitals that are government by this system include
- Mease Countryside
- Mease Dunedin
- Mease Morton Plant
- Mease Morton Plant North Bay
- St. Anthony’s
- St. Joseph’s
- St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital
- St. Joseph’s Women’s Hospital
- St. Joseph’s Hospital North - new facility for 2010 that will add new jobs to the area.
- South Florida Baptist Hospital
Other Local Hospitals and Clinics
- Bay Tree Rehab and Nursing; and Bay Area Medical Center (see section above)
- Countryside Health Care Center. 3825 Countryside Blvd. N. Palm Harbor, FL 34684
- HCA West Florida: This is an amazing network of 16 hospitals with 21 emergency rooms, 14 surgery centers, and 21 graduate medical education training programs in West Florida. Palm Harbor opened a 24/7/365 ER in 2016.
- Manor Care of Palm Harbor
- North Pinellas Childrens’ Hospital
Retirement Living in Palm Harbor
- Modular, Manufactured, and Mobile Homes in Palm Harbor: Palm Harbor Homes is the national leader in quality customizable modular homes, manufactured homes and mobile homes. Palm Harbor Homes provides a huge selection of modular homes, manufactured homes and mobile homes.
- Palm Harbor Retirement Complexes
Factory Tour: Manufactured Homes
- Chamber of Commerce of Palm Harbor
- Indeed.com; January, February, March 2019.
- Sperling's Best Places: Palm Harbor
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2010 Patty Inglish MS
Web Gazelle from USA on April 09, 2011:
Retirement in Florida sounds great. Can I retire now, please? :)
Florida Collection Agency on November 03, 2010:
Florida is one of the best states out there. There is so much to do and so many wonderful places to live. The winters are amazing there too.
dusanotes from Windermere, FL on January 12, 2010:
Palm Harbor is special. But there are a lot of wonderful Florida communities. Your Hub, as usual, is outstanding. Good luck to you. Don White
Greg Cremia from Outer Banks on January 12, 2010:
There isn't a place in Florida that I don't like.
Hello, hello, from London, UK on January 12, 2010:
#Seems such a nice place. You make my feet ich. Thanks for the hub
Dim Flaxenwick from Great Britain on January 11, 2010:
Great and interesting hub , as always Patty. x
Cory Zacharia from Miami Beach, Florida on January 11, 2010:
Hi Patty, Happy New Year! Great hub, as usual. Two of my sisters live in Palm Harbor. I love visiting them. Besides enjoying my family, the area has a great energy and is very beautiful. You can find everything from charming little cottages to palatial mansions. Best wishes to you.