Skip to main content

Obtaining a US Work Visa: Types and Information

View from Ellis Island

View from Ellis Island

Interested in Obtaining a Work Visa?

Welcome! If you're looking for information on a US work visa or how to obtain one, you've come to the right place. While I'm not an immigration attorney, I have a lot of experience with visas. Also be sure to check out the comments for more valuable insight from others.

All around the world, people dream of having the opportunity to come to the United States. Many know that the jobs available in the US pay better and have better conditions than anything available to them at home. Since so many people are interested in visiting the United States, the rules have been getting more and more strict as to who can come in and why.

The Guest Worker Program

Because of the lack of available U.S. workers, the U.S. government has established the Guest Worker program. This program provides qualified individuals with work visas, allowing them the ability to live and work in the United States anywhere from three months to three years (and beyond, under certain conditions).

Non-Immigrant Visas

There are many different types of visas reserved for various jobs, lengths of stay, and countries of origin. The U.S. has over sixty types of non-immigrant visas alone. Maneuvering around and applying for these visas can be difficult, if not impossible for a single individual. More often than not, workers interested in acquiring a work visa have to apply for work with an international recruiter. Recruiters are usually able to offer them a position in a U.S. business and can provide aid and advice in choosing a status and location.

Non-immigrant visas typically have a limit placed upon them as to how many applicants can receive the status. With H-2B and H-1B visas, the cap is 66,000 individuals per year. The cap is divided into two periods of 33,000 applicants per period.

It is notoriously difficult to get these types of visas unless the applicant is able to apply as soon as the opportunity to do so arises. Applicants that wait to 30 days prior to the opening of the cap often miss out on the chance to be approved to hire nonimmigrant workers.

Available Types of Visas

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) typically grants two types of visas:

  1. Immigrant. These are permanent. Get an immigrant visa, and you're able to stay for good.
  2. Non-immigrant. This second type of visa is temporary—either on a temporary, seasonal, annual, or three-year basis.

All Family and Employment-Based (EB) visas are immigrant visas while most business visas and other non-employment (non-EB) visas are considered non-immigrant visas. Every type of visa is assigned a letter (designating the type of visa) and a number (designating the subclass).


Employment Immigrant Visas

  • EB-1. Reserved for Priority Workers. For foreign nationals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics.
  • EB-2. Reserved for professionals with advanced degrees or persons with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business.
  • EB-3. Reserved for "Skilled" or "Professional Workers," defined as: foreign national professionals with bachelor's degrees not qualifying for a higher preference category; skilled workers with two years training; and experience and unskilled workers. In almost all cases, a job offer and labour certification are required. More recently the introduction of Programmed Electronic Review Management (PERM) is making the application process more complicated but is cutting waiting times significantly.
  • EB-4. Special Immigrants. Reserved for religious workers, employees and former employees of the US government abroad.


Business visas are all about how much money you are willing to invest in the United States. In some cases, $100,000 or less could give you the chance to become a resident of the United States via an E-1 or E-2 visa.

Immigrant Business Visas

  • EB-5. Immigrant Investor visa. Reserved for those who set-up a business in the States with a minimum investment figure of at least $500,000. The business must create or stimulate the employment of US nationals in an area designated as a Regional Center, or one million elsewhere. The EB-5 is the only business visa that provides immediate permanent residency to the applicant, his or her spouse and any children under 21. Often the EB-5 designation is presented as a 'retirement' visa, but it is, in fact, a 'passive' investment visa (meaning you do not have to actively participate in the business).

Non-immigrant Business Visas

  • E Treaty Traders and Investors. A Treaty Trader is an individual from a country with which the US has a trade treaty.
  • E-1. Treaty Trader. Reserved for those carrying out a trade of an international nature. Typically granted to those doing business on their own behalf, but also allowed for individuals doing business as the employee of a foreign business.
  • E-2. Treaty Investor. The E-2 is for those who invest a 'substantial' amount of capital in a US enterprise that they are seeking to develop. This designation is often popular with business-oriented individuals from the British Isles. Renewals, which are typically granted for three years, can be gained should the business continue to meet the requirements. Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age can accompany the primary beneficiaries.
  • B-1. Temporary Business Visitor. This designation permits temporary residence in the US for a specific, limited period. During this period, beneficiaries cannot normally take 'gainful employment', receive a salary from a US source or participate as a professional in entertainment or sporting events (where there is a cash prize or other economic incentive). B-1 visas are often granted to those travelling to the United States for a period between 2 weeks to 6 months, for the purposes of signing trade agreements or attending conventions related to their primary business.

Miscellaneous Status

Holiday Visa

Scroll to Continue
  • B-2. Reserved for those who don't qualify for any of the above. The B-2 designation is often referred to as the "Holiday Visa." It permits a stay of up to six months in the US. An interview with a consular officer is required to obtain a B-2 visa, and it is unlawful to engage in any work in the United States while under this status. As of late, residents of certain countries have been receiving authorizations for up to 5-10 years. However, they are only permitted to remain in the United States for up to six months (unless they specifically petition otherwise).

Student Visa

  • F-1. Student visa. Reserved for individuals between the ages of 18 and 55. Permits a stay of up to seven years, provided the beneficiary remains enrolled in a U.S. college or University throughout the duration of his/her stay.
  • J-1 Exchange program visa. This designation is popular with students from countries around the world. Typically reserved for the "summer season" (for Northern Hemisphere countries) and "winter season" (Southern Hemisphere countries).

Family Visa

US citizens can sponsor relatives to gain permanent residency in America, but they have to be defined as "immediate family." If you are eligible, however, don't expect to be able to leave in a hurry. This process can take a number of years, and is usually quite cumbersome. There are four types of Family visas, all subject to annual quotas.

  • F-1. Reserved for Unmarried sons and daughters of US citizens who are over 21 years of age. Also allocated towards Exchange Students studying in U.S. universities. The processing period is one to five years.
  • F-2A. Reserved for Spouses and unmarried children under 21 of a US permanent resident. The processing period is one to five years.
  • F-2B. Reserved for Unmarried sons and daughters over 21 of a US permanent resident. The processing period is one to seven years.
  • F-3. Reserved for Married sons and daughter of US citizens. The processing period is typically one to five years.
  • F-4 Reserved for Biological siblings of US citizens. Processing period tends to be five to seven years.

Non-immigrant Visas

  • H-1B. Speciality Worker. Reserved for professions in which specific labour shortages are experienced in specialised industries. Qualifications for the via include college education and extraordinary ability.
  • H-2A. Reserved for temporary and seasonal agriculture workers. This program supplements the needs of farms, greenhouses, and other agriculturally-oriented businesses throughout the United States. There is no cap on this visa status, but the requirements placed upon the employers are very strict.
  • H-2B. Reserved for temporary and seasonal unskilled NonImmigrant workers. This visa is typically sought by employers and workers in the Hospitality, Tourism, Construction, Landscaping, and other unskilled industries.
  • Other H-class visas. Reserved for nurses working in health professional shortage areas, trainees in various industries, truck drivers, and other such professions.
  • Intracompany Transfers. Employees of foreign companies with parent companies, branches or subsidiaries in the US are able to work in the United States under the L Intracompany Transferee visa designation.
  • L-1A. Reserved for executive or managerial roles. Also used by UK business owners to transfer to a US branch of their company.
  • L-1B. This status covers specialised skills and knowledge.
  • L-2. Reserved for the spouses and children of recipients of L-1A and L-1B visas (spouses are able to work on the L-2 visa).

The H2B work visa is a status that is designated for individuals:

  • Who will be employed in non-agricultural positions that are either seasonal, intermittent or that can be labelled a one time occurrence.
  • Qualifying positions include those in the: hospitality, restaurant, tourism, landscaping, construction, and other unskilled worker categories.

Spouses and children of H2B visa holders may enter and remain in the US in H4 status. H4 visa holders may attend school in the US but are not legally allowed to be employed.

For whom is the H2B work visa appropriate?

  • US. companies hiring foreign nationals to perform temporary work for which there are no US workers are available.

What are the requirements for obtaining an H2B Work Visa?

  • A worker that qualifies for the H-2B Worker program if they are a temporary/seasonal worker coming temporarily to the United States to perform temporary/seasonal services or labor.
  • This worker must not displace U.S. workers capable of performing the job, and whose employment is not adversely affecting the wage and working conditions of U.S. workers.
  • In all cases, even though the H-2B work visa can be issued for up to one year, it is assumed that the temporary need has a "clear beginning" and a "clear end" which will self-destruct in a year or less by a pre-arranged date when each non-immigrant worker must promptly return to a foreign shore.
  • The temporary nature of needs lasting longer than 10 months are suspect and need to be adequately justified. H-2B workers do not qualify for temporary work unless the underlying job itself is temporary.

Remaining in the U.S. on an H-2B

Many H-2B workers, upon entering the country, are able to find employment throughout various employment seasons.

  • For example, employers that typically need workers during the summer seasons do not have as many jobs open during winter months, and thus are not able to make full use of H-2B workers.
  • Workers may then find another employer needing workers for winter and spring months, and continue their stay in the U.S. without being required to return to their home country.
  • The cycle of continuously finding seasonal work can continue for up to three years, after which the non-immigrant worker must pursue a different status or return to their home.

H-1B Visa Availibility

For More Information on the H2-B Visa

This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.


susan f on April 25, 2019:

wow ! this is so much info. I have never seen so many types of Visas. I am thinking if I might be qualified. I am a certified nurses aid/ auxiliary nurse. My father is US citizen and have aunts and uncles with US citizenship. Have lots of cousins born there to.

Christian Fennell on April 06, 2019:

I have been invited to the US as a guest lecturer and teacher in the field of creative writing. There is a small stipend of up to $4,000 involved. Do I need a visa? And if so, is the EB-2 the correct one to apply to?

Lilly on October 26, 2018:

Hi i would like to work in Las Vegas how do I get a visual from kenya

Kathy LUNDY on October 16, 2018:

Hello, I am asking info for a young man from Inda he is in Orlando Florida on a J1 visa he has to return in four months and would like to stay here for a while longer he understands that if he is here on a J1 that it isn't possible so I'm trying to help him . He goes to my church and is very nice speaks English. Do you have any suggestions I was told to call the Lutheran Services but they are closed here so I don't know much I'm just a grandmother trying to help someone out. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

MUHAMMAD NASIR KKHAN on September 07, 2018:

i am Telecommunication Engineer by profession from Pakistan and i would like to work in an America so i need help how to apply for visa full process

Kusum Luitel on September 06, 2018:

I'm from Nepal

Actually i wanna apply for EU countries for study and work and i wanna take my boyfriend with me in dependent visa.Is that possible and what should I do for that?

shay on August 27, 2018:

I want to come to America for the experience to travel the country and get a feel of what it's like to work on the USA.Certainty not for the conditions and money! That part about having the best conditions than any other country is totally false! I've met a lot of USA from my years of backpacking and most have said they only get 5 paid sick days per year and 2 weeks paid annual leave. You also don't a minimum award rate etc. I am from Australian and it's illegal for any employer to employ you on a full-time basis and not given you a minimum of 4 weeks paid annual leave a year. Employers must also give you a minimum of 10 paid sick days, although a lot of employers will still give you more. This doesn't even include paid bereavement leave and personal leave on top of all the other leave.There is also an award rate for each industry, an employer needs to pay at leased that rate per hour. So that's certainly a big call to just assume USA has the best working conditions, you guys certainty have it bad for a 1st world country. Bad pay rates and leave!

Anxious Jabangwe on August 26, 2018:

I am a Zimbabwean , would love to work an America as a hair braider. How can I get a Visa

Deep Kaur on August 13, 2018:

Do you provide any job offers for Indians? I’m of 22 year old and have work experience from Dubai too.

umar on August 04, 2018:

i need American working visa

Janaka on August 04, 2018:

Dear sir/Madam

My wife and my self have B1 B2 visa for USA. Currently we are working in Sri lanka. I'm a sales manager and my wife is University program cordinator. Please adcise how to apply for jobs in USA.

Merullo Suhrobzoda on July 30, 2018:

I am from Tajikistan

Tols73 on July 26, 2018:

I have recently started working in the US. I am working here on a H-1B visa and I’m from England. I am looking for some advice if possible. I am here on my own but my girlfriend is back in the UK, we have been best friends for years and it’s only since the visa was granted we realized there was more than just friendship. She wants to come over and be with me, which I want to. She is prepared to leave her job sell or rent her house so she would not need to work here as she would have enough income to live off. But according to every website I have been on she would only be allowed to stay for 3 months and would have to return to the Uk for 3 months before she can return again. I have 2 years left on my visa and would ideally like her to be with me for that time. We are not at the marriage stage but we are serious about each other. Is there anything that we can do so she can be here. Any advice will be really appreciated. Thank you.

Situ chakraborty on July 20, 2018:

Hi, I want to work in USA and also from India, but I don't know what are the visa procedure

Can anyone please help me to understand and get job in US? Or if you're an employer and willing to sponsor me, please kindly e-mail me at Thank you

J. Abraham on June 30, 2018:

Hey Sir/Madam.

I am interested to obtain HB2 Visa. To work in hotel industry.How can one obtained this type of Visa? How can I get started?

Julie, UAE on June 13, 2018:


I'm a Filipina who is currently working in the UAE and I want to work in USA but I don't know what are the visa procedure. Can anyone please help me to understand and get job in US? Or if you're an employer and willing to sponsor me, please kindly e-mail me at Thank you & God Bless!

beverley down on June 11, 2018:

the managment of hlton hotel canada Quebec / ontario region are currently employing workers and giving out family working visa 5 years interested persons should contact email:

Samson Nyambega on June 01, 2018:

Hi i thank you to give a way of get a chance work in U.S,but how can i get the form of fill?.

Anthony on May 25, 2018:

Dear Team ,

I would like you to help me file for H1-B visa in Colorado.

I have been to the US twice with B1-B2 visa and i see opportunities as regard my Skill Set and career growth.

I have over a decade of software development experience and am currently working with telecom multinational company.

I would be so glad if your company can help me with this or better still advice on which Visa is the best for me.

Please what do you need from my end.

See attached my resume and advice if i need to vet.

You may reach me anytime on the number below.

Thank you

Anthony Nwosu

Evelyn Kaa on May 21, 2018:



They offer Packages are as follows: Work in Canada,USA and Shengen. ACCOMMODATION will be provided, whiles you work

for only 5 hours a day and get paid $6000 every month,you can also whatsapp them on 08068442495,they did visa for my sister,despite several denials

Sharon Caspar on May 20, 2018:

My husband has accepted a job in the States, starting in 2 months. We are relocating as a family, but I would really like to find a part-time job when we get there. Without a relevant “work” visa prior to my arrival, will this be possible?

Vanessa Riccetti on May 03, 2018:

I would like to immigrate to Atlanta Georgia from South Africa on a Work visa, how and what do i need to do to get this done. I am single and have been working in Retail Advertising for the past 20 years. Please advise best practice forward.

Lamaas Simmons-El on April 08, 2018:

I have friends in the Philippines who are studying cyber security is there any way they could get a work visa cuz it is write complicated

Alemayehu on April 03, 2018:

Hi, Alemayehu from Ethiopia i have DS-(160) Visa application form for non-imigrant can you please link me up to an organization which is willing to employ me and sponsor? Can you help me? I'm so confused please.

Rashmi on February 06, 2018:

Hi! I have a USA tourist visa . Can I get enrolled in any course in USA during my stay there? Please reply soon.

Jedda on January 13, 2018:

How do I get visa ,I have already employer ?whats documents do I needed ....thank you and have a good day

Tania on January 08, 2018:

Hi I'd like to get a working visa in the US and I'm a Canadian.

I was told I could get a work permit first then look for work. I also have a serious boyfriend in the US but I prefer a work permit than to marry.

I'm an executive assistant and I'm sure I can find work. What type of visa do I apply for?

Jade on December 28, 2017:

Can I move from Canada to Los Angeles and work even if I'm only 17 years old or do I need to be 21?

ggp on December 20, 2017:

Lets say i'm in filming and want to go to america to freelance work. what type of visa do i apply for as i am not with a company.

Arjoy on November 14, 2017:

Hi my parents is nearing the age where they need to be taken care of and I plan on taking them in with me but as someone who work, I don't think it will be possible to juggle both work and meeting their needs, so I though I will sponsor one of my family in the Philippines to care for my parents while my husband and I work. how should i tackle this situation?. I have read about the H-2B but I am thinking of making her my permanent caretaker for my mom and dad.

Marty Nizera on August 10, 2017:

Hi, my daughter is 30, US Psych degree, a Canadian and has married a US citizen.

While awaiting a work permit in the US, is she allowed to engage in business as self employed or through our LLC/corp ? There would be no salary involved just dividends.

Katie Lou on July 03, 2017:

Hello -

I have a possible job offer as a Executive assistant in LA.

I am from the Uk - what visa would my employer need for me, what sort of qualifications / information would I need to show?

Many thanks


grace on June 28, 2017:

Hi I'm from philippines and the husband of my aunt has a bar and a restaurant in WA. They're planning to get me a working visa but got no clue where to start. Any ideas or pointers would gladly be appreciated.

KimberlyLan on June 09, 2017:

Good day all. I am currently looking for a job in Arizona for next year to join my boyfriend. How do I even start job hunting and which type of companies would help me obtain a work visa? In November I will get my Degree in Education but I dont have any work experience yet. Would I be able to get a visa for a teaching job?

Jay on June 07, 2017:

I'm currently in the US with an F1 visa but I haven't been in school for a year now so I'm out of status but my visa is still valid. My mom is on B1/B2 visa and she's trying to get a green card to stay permanently. Is there any way to change her visa type without her going back to our country to apply? or is there anyway to get a work visa without going back to our country? I really need help now. Can you help us? I'm so confused please

joseph on May 12, 2017:

I have a friend that is a teacher in the Philippines she wants to be my nanny in the united states, she has two kids and I would like to hire her to be my nanny for my two boys. how would I go about this and can I get it done before summer starts

Rebekah on May 08, 2017:

Hi I am part of an exchange programme at the moment in which I am an au pair so I am on a j1 visa. I have been able to obtain a social security card and a drivers license whilst I am here however after this year I was wondering if it is possible to be hired independently by a family as I wish to stay here what is the requirements to do so I really need help and don't know where to start. Wil the family have to sponsor me? Will they need to pay to get me a new visa and if so which visa will I need?

Hi there. I am Beverly Pastor. I came to the USA in December 2016 on a tourist visa and currently with my boyfriend who invited me here. I am legally allowed to stay here until June 13, 2017. However, on April 25, 2017:

Hi there. I am Beverly Pastor. I came to the USA in December 2016 on a tourist visa and currently with my boyfriend who invited me here. I am legally allowed to stay here until June 13, 2017. However, the more I stayed here, the more I realized it would really be good if I can stay here for a longer time. I am a college English and Literature professor in the Philippines. Can you advise me on anything I can do to make this possible? Looking forward to your response. T

Roger on April 22, 2017:

We can here under J1 visa with a 2 year rule. We were able to get an extension before our visa expired but it's only good for two years. This coming school year will be our last year for the extension. Is there other ways other than the waiver of the 2 year rule that will help us convert or change our visa? The schools are willing to convert our visa but they don't know what route to take to be able to process it. Our home country Philippines, made their processing for the approval of the waiver hard for all j1 visa holders that they only approve it if you're really old like in your past 60s, if you're going to marry or bear a child which a lot of ladies are doing now and forget about their families back home and leave their morals to the side just to obtain this. I hope you can shed light to our queries as we want to stay here and continue serving the students who belong to the poor and title 1 schools. Thank you

Mary Rivera on April 11, 2017:

I really need my friend to help care for me. I have several issues with my spine and everyday duties. Even bathing. She has offered to come help me for free if I can just get her here to the U.S. legally.

Bharadwaj on March 20, 2017:

I wanna go to usa for work then which type of visa is suitable for me?

Lenette-Uy on March 19, 2017:

I am a J1 visa holder, I am currently teaching as a SPED TEACHER here in CALIFORNIA. I came from the PHILIPPINES, I was here last Sept. 2016. Can I apply for H1 VISA? What are the things to do or process?

Angela Cormier on February 16, 2017:

Hello iam a Canadian citizen interested in moving working in Tampa,fl I work in Canada as a professional cleaner how do i go about getting a work visa. Thank you any advice is appriated.

Chioma from MN on February 06, 2017:

I am on f1 visa here in US and my fiance is my sponsor. he is a graduate accounting and he has over 5 years experience in procurement. I would like him come over to the U.S to join me work, and further his education, how do i go about it? can you please link me up to an organization which is willing to employ his and sponsor or he can sponsor him self. he has been my strength over the last 7 years now i really want him to join me here. Please sir assist us in any way this can work out.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chioma from MN on February 06, 2017:

I am on f1 visa here in US and my fiance is my sponsor. he is a graduate accounting and he has over 5 years experience in procurement. I would like him come over to the U.S to join me work, and further his education, how do i go about it? can you please link me up to an organization which is willing to employ his and sponsor or he can sponsor him self. he has been my strength over the last 7 years now i really want him to join me here. Please sir assist us in any way this can work out.

Thanks in anticipation.

David Magee on February 03, 2017:

Dear Employer Alliance ~

A friend of mine who is a citizen of Uganda is interested in getting a job as a housemaid in the U.S. Any suggestions as to how she might might be able to do this? Is it possible?

Many thanks!

Hello All on January 26, 2017:

We are a Canadian Family that recently relocated to California with L1 Visa... We want our 18 year old son to come and live with us and of course he wants to work! I have heard the only way he can work is to be a student? Can anyone advise if there is any other option to getting him a legal work visa for this summer?

He wants to work and its seems like he cant without being a FT student?

He only wants to serve.. anyone need an awesome Canadian

server in Walnut Creek CA for the summer :)

naeem ahmed on January 08, 2017:

dear author

i m planning to open a pakistan asian restaurant in usa michigan detroit

for which i will need to bring 3 good cooks from pakisan

how to get visas for them any advice please

karma on December 12, 2016:

Dear sir/madam


My friend from usa is going to sponsor me for working visa for his company ..he is permanent resident of usa and I am a degree certificate holder with three years working experience in liaisoning works. Therefore what is the process for this, what i should do and what he have to do ..please help me ...

Thank you and may god bless you

janechan on December 02, 2016:

hi Sir,

I live in Austin Texas, my brother is an IT and my sister is a teacher and another one is a chemist at a big oil firm in the Philippines and they would like to obtain a sponsorship visa here in the USA is there any list that you can provide me so they can start the process? thank you so much

stuart mc on November 30, 2016:

Would like to go for a permanent work visa as i would like to stay here with my girlfriend and her son in Pittsburgh P.A i'm ex military but have no qualifications as such but i would also like to apply for a drivers licence and apply to work with comcast if you could get back to me with an email address i can explain in more detail to you thank you for your time

DC on November 28, 2016:

I am divorced female with 3 kids and want to immigrate to the USA permanently. How do I go about this. From South Africa. Current field and qualification in Human Resources qualification Bcom Honours in HR.

Do I make use of a immigration attorney ? please advice best practice forward. on November 21, 2016:

Hi I am married and settled with my family in India, my entire family members are US citizens although they had applied for my petition for immigration but it will take time. I have B1/ B2 visa and willing to travel US for short period if I can convert my visa in H2B and work for some time may for 3 years legally will have any negative impact on my petition.

natz27 on November 10, 2016:

I have a tourist visa for the USA and I also have a degree, I would like to get work sponsorship for jobs there, can you assist me? My degree is in business management

Marie on November 09, 2016:

Hi. I am from the philippines but i am now in rhode island for just ayear. I am currently taking a training course for CNA's. I just want to ask if it is possible for me to get a working visa while i am here or do i need to go back to the philippines first to acquire a visa? In other way what is the best thing that i could do to be able to work here permanently? i am currenlty a dependent of an A2 visa holder. Thank you.

Joy on October 31, 2016:

I was originally in J-1 via when I got here in USA. then extended it to B2 visa.. Can I apply for a Working visa? What should I do?

Gabriel Shittu on October 20, 2016:

Please I have a family friend in New Yoke, he is ready to accommodate me whiles I look for work in New Yoke, I have my Higer National Diploma Certificate, but I will take care of my expenses and get a backup from my dad. Which visa do i apply for.

Please help thank you.

Suchi on October 18, 2016:

Hi sir,

I am currently in USA on F2 visa as my husband is doing his masters here and has already got placed.He will start work next year and his employer will subsequently sponsor H1B visa and later for Green card.I was working with an MNC in India and the same employer has their offices in USA.I had resigned my job and came to US to be with my husband.Now if the same employer is willing to give me a job in USA,what is the visa proceedure?Can i join the company on my F2 visa and later can they sponsor my H1B visa or should i request them if they can offer me an L1 visa and i can come down if i join them back in India office.I am senior managerial candidate with above 12 yrs of experience.Which is the best way for me to get an employment visa here.

Many Thanks

Leon on October 17, 2016:

Hi Sir, I am a citizen in Sri Lanka, My Sister is a Resident in the US. can you help me ... She wants to sponsor me, also I need to work temporary for few months as I'm married & having kids... is there any way I can look for a work permit in that time ????

GGL on October 05, 2016:


I am from the UK and work as a Freelance Business Director in marketing. My husband and I are interested in moving to NYC. Can I get a Visa that allows me to work as a Freelancer or would I need to find full time employment through a UK employer that has offices in NY? Just need to look at my options of employment and not sure what is feasible Visa wise. Many thanks.

grace on September 27, 2016: really need someone to ask about my mom and sister lives in usa... they want me to visit them... as 43 years not married but i have working here in the philippines as a day care teacher...until now...what are the requirents they need to show to them...

salma on September 27, 2016:


I have 2 kids and both were born in the USA and are Americans, but the oldest is 6 years old.

Is there a way to take green card or work permit to live in USA.

Quincy on September 25, 2016:

what is your email address

Dne on September 25, 2016:

Hi , I'm Nepalese I have 5 year's multiple visa now I'm in usa on b1 visa till 4 month I have . I found a employer he like to sponsor me on h2b work permit so what I have to do ? Can you suggest me ?


Emily on September 25, 2016:

I am a 17-y/o Australian citizen looking to move to the U.S to work as an au pair and continue my studies. Can I do this and, if so, what visa would I need

Alex on September 16, 2016:

Hi, I went to New York for 6 weeks this past summer and fell in love with the city. Im wanting to move out there for a year or two to work once I graduate university which is in two years. What would be the best visa for me?

Chari on August 30, 2016:


I have a question. I hope someone can help me out. If you manage to get your work visa, your spouse and children are allowed to go with you. But what if you have a child with your partner but you're not married yet. Can he still come along? Or do you really need to be married?

Esther on August 12, 2016:

Hello My name is Esther, I am 30yrs old and I am from Spain. I lived inVirginia, USA for 2 yrs like an Au pair I met my wornderful host family and they want that I stay we go through multiple options to I can stay. But we couldn't made it work. After 1yr I came back for holidays, and the grandmother Ask me if it will be possible for me to stay taking care the grand grand mother that is 94 yrs old and have dementia. I was wondering if there are any possibility for me to stay with a working VISA with she hiring me or what option do I have. I am a social worker and I have experience in the field. Thanks. Looking for your answer, thanks.


Emma on August 02, 2016:

Hello sir/madam,

Have a good day. I just want to know how long it takes to know the results of petition letter for employment visa from my employer who want to hired me as an emplyee to usa. I am a filipino.

Heidi on July 30, 2016:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm a 36 years-old woman, from Hungary, Europe.

I'd like to immigrate to the USA, because the US-values.

I need a Visa or green card and I need your advice whats the best way for me to get it.

I was working in hospitality for 15 years( hotels, bars, fine restaurants as a bartender and waitress), now I am a real estate agent for 5 years. I have good skills in communication, I work hard and I want to learn a lot more and my love for America is unquestionable.

So my wish a suitable job, a green card or a Visa, if anyone is here who can help me with a piece of good advice, please help me, I will so grateful. Thank you.

Nurse Riches on July 30, 2016:


i am A Male Nurse from western part of Africa Nigeria, i will be getting married in October,I and my wife are both Nurses and we want to relocated to United State of America,what kind of Visa do we Apply for,i want you to help me with the neccessary


Sharon on July 29, 2016:

Hi my name is sharon. I live in America with my husband.

My brother in india completed his graduation wanted to work in America.He is married n 2 kids.

What are the ways to bring him here.

Bcz we dont know how to sponsor him so he can get a valid visa to find a suitable job for him to work in America.

Plz help us with a good suggestion.

Thank u.

Lhourdes on July 27, 2016:


There is someone from Texas USA that like to hire me as a Nanny. Is it possible for me to get a working visa and work in Texas.If yes,what are things that we need to do?

Hope to hear from you soon .Thank you !

Alaa on July 26, 2016:

Good Afternoon,

I am a Lebanese Citizen and my husband is Greek. Currently, we are living in London where my husband works, and I have an EEA family permit visa that allows me to live and work in the UK.

My husband might move to the US. The company will provide both our visas. For my husband I am guessing it is a working visa, but I have no clue which type will be my visa. How can I apply for a working visa in the US?

Any help is much appreciated,

Meena mascarenhas on July 13, 2016:


I want a work visa to US any job may be carer or hotel line HOW do I get it

Claire on July 08, 2016:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am a qualified primary school teacher in Ireland and my partner recently has received a job in the US in a computer company .His company are paying for house and car etc and are willing to sort the visas but we are unsure will it be possible for me to get a working visa for America and if so which one?

I would really appreciate any information that you know my email is

umang on July 04, 2016:

Dear sir/Madam,

I am 48 years old . I have still valid visitor visa for USA . So, I want to make working visa or any leagal status to saty USA. So,please advise me how to process to make leagally work in USA or to make legal stay. My email address is:

Manju Basnet on June 28, 2016:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am Manju Basnet a Nepali citizen but working as Assistant Teacher in Qatar.I want to work as assistant teacher in USA but i am totally unaware about the visas and process to go ahead to apply for a job.It would be kind of you if you give some suggestion and advice about the visas and working process. My id is on June 27, 2016:

Am Rasheed from Nigeria, I hold HND in accountancy, am 30years old and single. I wish to live and work in USA, how would I go about it.

This is my email

Andrew Vsevolodow on June 27, 2016:

Hello, my name's Andrew from Russia. I'm 25 years old. I've worked in many directions. Mainly I'm a roofer and welder. Worked as a builder as well. But have never worked officially. Read many times that if you want to move to USA you have to be qualified and have work-experience. My intention is to move to USA on permanent base and work over there. If anyone has some thoughts about it or has something to tell me - he or she's more than welcome! My email is - on June 24, 2016:

My son Chester will be going to Virginia, USA on this August 2016 with a tourist visa. How can he find a sponsoring employer interested in work visa in a Hotel. He is inclined to work in a hotel as waiter and server, as this is his job for 7 years now in the Philippines.

Thank you and waiting for your help and response. My E-mail address is on June 17, 2016:

Hello my name is Raximjan from Kazakhstan im 19 years old student id like to work in the USA this year by H2B visa but i have no idea how to find employer who's ready to hire foreign people by this visa it seems hard to me find them ther is no information about employer on the Internet could you please help me somehow to find them or could you give me some advice about this i would appreciate it.. . This yeas i was going to America by j1 visa but my sponsor is screwed up about ds2019 forms they were out. So my dream to visit Usa hs been caused until i found out about this type of visa.....please if u know smth let me know thank you (

bindresh patel on June 14, 2016:

i want work visa for me and my wife, what was the procedure for that

my e mail

Md.Riaz Shahed on June 14, 2016:

Dear Sir

I have Valid b2 Visa . At this moment I am not in USA. I am interested to work in USA . Can you help me to find out any reference who will help me to get employment visa. My email is :

avonelle manswell on June 13, 2016:

I am a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago . I will like to obtain my visa to visit my sister in the united states but am afraid because I don't have the necessary ties . I have three children so I have no intensions to live in the us I just want to be able to visit as I please.

KristaH on June 05, 2016:

Hi there Im from Canada and Im interested in working in the USA as a office assistant, medical office assistant, or art instructor. I obtain a diploma in medical assisting and a bachelor degree in arts and science. Which visa catagory would i fall into?

PK on May 18, 2016:

Hello please urgent reply.

I am on F1 visa completed my 1st Semester and earned total 16 credits . i am doing my MBA in finance from NEWYORK. I have an MBA degree from India. I have got sponsor who is willingly sponsoring my VISA work visa. Is it possible that he can sponsor me before i get MBA degree from USA? if yes then do i need to wait till march-2017?

DTHEAH on April 16, 2016:

Hi I am a single mother of 5 (ages 18,16,12,5 & 2) All besides my 5 year old was born in the US Florida. 2 of them live out there and 3 here with me in Turks & Caicos. I want a better life for them with more to gain but I am not able to live and work in the US. I do have a Masters and I'm very skilled and would love o get my self and my 5 year old out there. My last child was born with a few medical issues nothing life or death I have 4 sisters that are also from US Florida and they live and work in Florida. As a child I lived in Florida I went to school in Florida. How do I go about getting work and living in the US?

geeta on February 04, 2016:

Hello i really need help. Am in F1 visa .i finished my masters degree. Am in opt now almost done. How can I get green card. I heard i can apply NIW eb catagory. Plz somebody help. I need to settle.

Nathalia on January 18, 2016:

Good afternoon. I'm a Brazilian who teaches English as a Second Language and my greatest career dream is to have the chance of experiencing the American teaching methods. What kind of chances do you think I might have? I mean, I would need an American school to sponsor my visa, wouldn't I?

Rushane chang on January 11, 2016:

can a 17 year old from jamaica obtain an h2b visa on November 24, 2015:

hello blessing, first of all i want to say you have such a wonderful name and your name itself says what a blessing you are. your name says you are a christian. through prayer and past experience when a person is in an existing relationship and seeking for more out of the relationship its quite clear that the person is not content and not meant for the loyal person. just a suggestion its good to let go than to get into a spell. Its always good to turn to God our Creator than to any human being who has their own limits. its good to understand and accept now than later. God loves you more than any other.

Beyondthesars on November 15, 2015:

Hi , my friend is a mananger at a gas station , can he sponsor me and get me a work visa?

Bea3z on November 01, 2015:

bea3z 53 seconds ago


I want to work in USA especially in California area. If you can help me find a job there, that will be appreciated and I am willing to pay for whatever help that you can do for me.

I am an architect by profession but currently working as an Estimator and Quantity surveyor in one of the biggest contracting company in Kuwait.

My husband is a nurse and he is also willing to work there. We have 2 children, 12 and 9 years old.

I hope you can help us in any way.

Best regards,


bea3z on November 01, 2015:


I want to work in USA especially in California area. If you can help me find a job there, that will be appreciated and I am willing to pay for whatever help that you can do for me.

I am an architect by profession but currently working as an Estimator and Quantity surveyor in one of the biggest contracting company in Kuwait.

My husband is a nurse and he is also willing to work there. We have 2 children, 12 and 9 years old.

I hope you can help us in any way.

Best regards,


vithiyaakanth on October 27, 2015:

hello sir , i am from srilanka , i am fitness trainer , so how can i enter into US or any other proper country and find a job there .......... please advice me in this regard..

Rita on October 25, 2015:

Hello Ma/sir...please I need your help concerning what visa I should apply for...I am going to work as an Au pair after which I will enroll into the university and get settled in the uk permanently...what visa should I apply for?

Harry on October 15, 2015:

Hello sir, my friend is working in Indian navy he wants to shift USA . He is having experience of 6yrs of Indian navy. Is there any type of visa for him. Pls reply me


sileas on October 14, 2015:

I think I might be offered a teaching position in an international British school in Illinois. My husband is a software developer with a Bachelor's degree and five years of experience (I have seven years of experience in my profession). If I am offered a job, which visa would I get and would my husband be able to work in the USA?

soyemi on October 04, 2015:

i am currently in united state on visitors visa B1B2.....i want to change to another working permit status what can i me sir/ma

Related Articles