Alan Cherian Rajan(Alan Raj) is a Travel enthusiastic from South India.
Historic places to visit in South India ( Tamil Nadu)
List of Places i'm suggesting you to visit ( Which author visited himself and verified) are:
Dhanushkodi- A disaster tourism
As i said above, the place Dhanushkodi is named after a disaster; a cyclone which hit the Dhanushkodi in 1964.
- It wrecked all houses in the locality , a church and a railway station. You can see the remanence of the church and railway station which is named as "old church" and "old railway station'' respectively. The railway lane can be spotted now also (very few meters in length)
- .There are very few residents in Dhanushkodi at present and they are living in huts as any permanent structure may not withstand another cyclone and costs money. Their main occupation is tourism; they sell lemonades to tourists.
- Another important place in Dhanushkodi that is worth mentioning is Dhanushkodi beach.
- Dhanushkodi beach is also a meeting place of Bay of Bengal and Indian Ocean.
- Indian ocean which is on the right side is considered a roaring one and Bay of Bengal which is on the left is considered as a calm one.
- Unlike other beaches in India, the Dhanushkodi beach is a cleaner one and with lesser tourists as the place Dhanushkodi is stranded.
Sea Shells from Dhanushkodi Beach!
If you want to enjoy a clean and less crowded beach, think of Dhanushkodi first.
— alan raj
Rameswaram-Land of Pilgrims
Rameswaram is a town in Tamil Nadu (south India) known for Ramanathaswamy temple. Rameswaram is a town known for pilgrimage and busy with pilgrims throughout the year. Interesting places to visit in Rameswaram are: 1.Ramanathaswamy temple,
- . Ramanathaswamy temple comes under the category of a 'Regions temple'. A temple is called as a 'regions temple' when all deities are worshiped. In such towns, only one such temple will be constructed. People travel from distant places to worship deities here.
- The main deity is lord shiva and is one of the twelve jyothirlinga temples in India.
- The interior of temple resembles a palace. There are sculptures on both sides of the interior of temple with hands closed as if they are welcoming you.
- The architecture of the temple is Dravidian architecture which is astonishing and a worth visit to everyone without respect of religion.
More about Pamban bridge, Rameswaram
Pamban bridge is located in Rameswaram and connects main land to the Rameswaram town.It is one of the longest bridges in India. Pamban bridge is a rail bridge which is also a cantilever bridge. Being a steel bridge, it fascinates every civil engineering enthusiast. It consists of complicated connections like bolts and welding. The view of a train passing through the pamban bridge amidst the red setting sun and blue sea is beautiful. The view of sun set is worth mentioning and can be viewed from the bridge parallel to it.
Ramar Padam: A sacred place!
Ramar Padam is a sacred place located 3 km away from Rameswaram. Ramar Padam has a mythological importance:
- Rama has started his journey to lanka from Ramar Padam.
- Another mythological importance is that in a temple in Ramar Padam, Rama's footprint can be seen
Temples in Ramar Padam provides good view of Rameswaram. . To enjoy the view of Rameswaram and nearby places to the fullest, Ramar Padam is a good choice.
Madurai-Athens of the East
Madurai is one of the ancient cities in India. Madurai Meenakshi temple dedicated to Meenakshi, a form of lord Parvathy and Sundareswar, a form of lord Shiva is the main attraction to both pilgrims and tourists. The temple is built in Dravidian architecture.
- The temple has four entrances; each in each direction.
- The temples opens at around 5 am and around 15000 pilgrims visit the temple daily.
- The temple is made up of stones and pillars are constructed in single stone. So much care have been taken in the construction of temple.
- Even the flooring is done using stone tiles which add up to the beauty.
- There is a special ceremony in the temple in which an elephant is being a part of procession to devi.
For each question, choose the best answer. The answer key is below.
- Which ocean lies right to the Dhanushkodi?
- Indian Ocean
- Pacific ocean
- Artic ocean
- Which is the disaster which affected Dhanushkodi?
- Indian Ocean
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2017 Alan Cherian Rajan
Milan halder on February 13, 2020:
Very beautiful and also we are already
Feb on September 29, 2017:
Very informative ☺✌