“The impulse to travel is one of the hopeful symptoms of life.”
“Somewhere between living and dreaming, there’s New York.”
—The Wanderlust Within
About New York (NYC)
There are some places in the World, which you dream of visiting one day.
New York City is one of them.
Recently, my long time wish to see NYC was fulfilled. Here is a brief account of this unique and mesmerising city, with my pictures. Although, it’s not easy to capture the magnificence of this fabulous city in cameras, but I have tried and sharing in this article.
There is a sense of freedom, happiness, and positivity in the air in the New York City.
Often described as the capital of the World, the New York City, USA, is—-
- An important centre for International diplomacy, because it’s home to the United Nations headquarters,
- An established safe haven for global investors,
- The centre of the New York metro area, the largest metropolitan area in the World by urban landmass,
- New York is one of the World’s most populous mega cities in the World,
- New York city is a global, cultural, financial, and media centre with a significant influence on commerce, research, technology, education, politics, entertainment, tourism, art and culture, fashion, dining, sports etc.
- New York City is also the most photographed city in the World.
With so many adjectives attached to this mega-mega city, it’s quite obvious that, like many others in the World, I had a great desire to see this wonderful place.
Secondly, I had only two days, in which I had to see and cover the maximum places. This was a challenge, but I am glad due to pre-planning, I could visit the major spots, and get an idea of other locations and Important places.
For other beautiful locations of NYC, there is always next time.
“New York is not a city, it’s a World.”
—The Wanderlust Within
“There is something in the New York air, that makes sleep useless.”
—Simone de Beauvoir
Sightseeing New York City in one day
As mentioned above, we had only two days trip to see NYC, and as suggested by many friends and family, we planned our trip accordingly.
You can also check out the Internet for the various options and plan the sightseeing of major attractions of New York City.
We had booked the Hop-On, Hop- Off Sightseeing bus tours.
There was a knowledgeable tourist guide, who explained everything (historical, present etc.) about the places, which we were driving through, and also all the places we stopped in between.
It was a comfortable ride, with frequent stopovers for a limited time of around fifteen to twenty minutes to explore the place, with significant details narrated by the tourist guide.
Some of the key spots which we visited are as follows:
- The Empire State,
- The Rockefeller Centre,
- The Central Park,
- Brooklyn Bridge,
- St. Patrick’s Cathedral,
- New York Stock Exchange,
- Wall Street’s Charging Bull
- Trinity Church,
- The World Trade Centre,
- Oculus Building,
- 9/11 Memorial,
- New York Public Library,
- Grand Central Terminal,
- Staten Island Ferry to get a Panoramic view of Manhattan,
- The Statue of Liberty.
We visited all these magnificent attractions, but may not be in that order, and in between the drive, we had the opportunity to see many-many amazing skyscrapers, crossroads, which are beyond description.
We took countless photos, and it was sure difficult to capture the tall skyscrapers in the cameras.
The second day, we had decided to spend our time at the magnificent,
- Times Square,
- One Vanderbilt Summit
Times Square—It is the liveliest place in New York, full of positive vibes all around. There is live music, dances, jazz, colours, lights, and only happy faces, whichever direction you look around.
You will find bars, restaurants, and people enjoying to the fullest with friends and family.
There are huge, illuminated, digital advertising billboards and hoardings, perhaps from every part of the World.
One Vanderbilt Summit—It was an amazing experience to visit this 93 storey, super tall skyscraper in midtown Manhattan. It is the city’s 4th tallest skyscraper in NYC.
Thanks to technology, It took few seconds to reach the top through the lift.
What was more adventurous was the glass floors, glass walls, and glass all around to get a mesmerising view of Manhattan and the overall New York City.
Yes, there was the fear of height among many tourists, and to ease their fear, there were ballon rooms. All together, an amazing and exciting place.
Interesting Facts About New York City
- The cultural diversity is one of the highly prominent characteristics of this city. The percentage of people migrating to NYC is so high, that it is stated as a global city, with immigrants from various races, cultures, countries and backgrounds.
- It is believed that more than 800 languages are used as a means of communication, and everyone lives together in harmony, without any feelings of discrimination.
- You can find all kinds of World cuisines, NYC cuisines, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Indian, because of the diversity of people living here. Everyone respects, each other’s culture, food, traditions etc.
- NewYorkers celebrate each other’s festivals with enthusiasm, and take active part in the celebrations.
- New York City’s original name was New Amsterdam.
- The first Pizzeria in the USA was opened in New York City.
- Honking your vehicle’s horn is illegal here.
- The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France.
- ‘The Big Apple’, ‘The City That Never Sleeps’, ‘Empire City’, ‘The City of Dreams’, ‘The Capital of the World’ are some of the other nicknames of New York City.
About New York City
New York City comprises of five boroughs sitting, where the Hudson River meets the Atlantic Ocean.
At it’s core is Manhattan, a densely populated borough, that’s among the World’s major commercial, financial and cultural centres.
It’s iconic sites include skyscrapers, such as Empire State Building and the sprawling Central Park.
Broadway theatre is staged in neon lit Times Square.
1. Via The Official Website of New York City
2. Via Britannica, About New York City
3. How to see NYC in a day
New York City, USA
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Chitrangada Sharan