Skip to main content

DFA Red Ribbon Authentication Requirements, Documents, and Procedures


Are you going abroad to work overseas? You may need to submit authenticated ("red-ribboned") documents to the embassy of the country where you work. Acquiring red ribbon authentication is as easy applying for a passport. You can do it yourself and never pay agents to do it for you.

The embassies for Canada, the UAE, Qatar, and others require citizens of the Philippines to have their important documents authenticated as genuine with a red ribbon. Authenticated papers must have been issued within three months of getting the red ribbon application process.

Here are the requirements, steps, and procedures for red ribbon authentication.

A Note About Timing

For some agencies, "rush" processing of red ribbon authentication means between four to seven business days. If you use DHL delivery, a rush order will take about two weeks, depending upon your location.

Remember: Documents must have been valid for three months to be authenticated.

College Academic Records

Go to your university or college registrar and ask for a certified copy of your credentials, transcript of record (TOR), and diploma. This will cost about P150 each depending on your school.

Next, go to the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) office near you and submit those documents. They will then give you a reference number. Use this reference number when claiming your red ribboned documents in the DFA or DHL.

You can go to the DFA personally for the issuance of your certificates. But it’s much more convenient if you just go to any DHL Cargo Express and use your reference number to receive your red ribbon certificate. DHL will deliver it to you in two weeks or less. When I had my NSO birth certificate red-ribboned, DHL charged me P400. It costs P265 for the college and high school diploma.

Note: Some state universities can issue documents directly to the DFA for red-ribboning without going through CHED.

High School Records

Almost the same procedure is required to get your high school records. Visit your high school registrar and ask for a certified copy of your diploma and record of credentials. Tell them it is for the purpose of obtaining a DFA red ribbon. Next, go to the Department of Education office and submit these documents. Wait for your reference number. Go to the DHL and pay the delivery fees.

Technical Skills Certificates

To authenticate a technical skills certificate, including records of completed culinary and caregiver courses, ask for a certified copy of your credentials, TOR, diploma, or certificate from the school where you completed the training. Bring these documents to the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), and tell them you need DFA red ribbon authentication.

Professional Certificates

All professional certificates can be authenticated as well. These include:

  • professional licenses
  • certificates of good standing
  • certificates of registration
  • report ratings

To authenticate these types of documents, go to the Professional Regulation Commission office and ask for a certified copy of the certificate. Wait for the claim stub and go to the DFA or DHL. Pay the corresponding fees and you’re done.

Elementary School Diploma and Form 137-A

To authenticate these documents, follow the same procedure as for high school documents. Expect to pay P265 for the DHL delivery.

NSO Authenticated Certificates

Documents from the National Statistics Office include:

  • birth certificates
Scroll to Continue
  • marriage certificates
  • CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage)
  • death certificates

To have these documents authenticated, bring the original, with the original official receipt, and a Local Civil Registrar copy of the document to the DFA, or DHL, for red ribbon authentication.

This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.

© 2012 twentyfive

Leave Your Messages in English, Please!

janna on February 26, 2020:

Hi i just want to ask how much now the uae authenticated in the philippines?

Anne on July 07, 2019:

How can i ask the certified true copy if my high school, school were already close? Where do i go to?

Girlie on January 11, 2019:

How to get red ribbon of birth certificate without going to manila.

DQuijano on December 27, 2018:


I have a Red Ribbon documents when I first went outside the Philippines to work. These Documents were stamp with KSA Embassy. Now I would like to work to UAE. Can I used the previously CAV Transcript of Record and Diploma for new Red Ribbon? The UAE said, that it's not necessary for me to request again from my school since they will just give me another set of documents, rather I will just bring the same CAV docs to DFA. Will the DFA honor it? Kindly response to my query. Thank you

jaybeebisco on December 23, 2018:

HI, im jay belen bisco,i just want to know how to make red ribbon my documents TOR and DIPLOMA, but now im here at UAE ? but i bring all my orig copy of documents.


Marlito Baysauli Sadsad on December 17, 2018:

I have PSA birthcertificate need to be red ribbon authenticated,can I walk in and,how much do it costs and it can be done near here in Laguna,? because I live here,thank you very much,,God bless on November 12, 2018:


Ia it okay if the 3 copies of my TOR i requested from my school are all original copies?

Catalina Lauce on March 26, 2018:

Where/how do we have the death certificate of a person who died in Alameda County, Union City, California authenticated (red ribboned)?

Kate on January 09, 2018:

Do I need to prepare diploma and certificate of graduation though I just need my form 137 to be authenticated?

Good Day admin on October 31, 2017:

i would like to red ribbon my TESDA Certificate but it is already expired last july 2017.. is it still valid for red ribbon?

by the way i have a continuum practice in the hospital here in UAE using my TESDA Certificae.

Reason for inquiry is for DHA exam licensure.

hope you can help me with this..

Thank you,

Sdjmenlop on October 13, 2017:

Hi!im going to red ribbon my marriage contract..what are the requirements?is there a red ribbon here in dumaguete city?thanks!god bless

Elizabeth Dawn Minase on August 12, 2017:

hi.i would like to ask how many days will it take to process the red ribbon at dfa manila?thank you

angelica oblea on July 19, 2017:

i lost my authentication receipt for claiming.. what i gonna do

Erma Espino on June 14, 2017:

Where is the other place of DFA Red Ribbon

Suzanavic on June 06, 2017:

Hello po! Thanks for sharing this article. It's such great help lalo na sa mga hindi pa nakakatry. Hope you can enlighten me about my querie. Ok lang po ba na both Highschool CAV and College CAV po yung ipa Red Ribbon? In my case po kasi, nakapag pa Red Ribbon na po ako sa College docz q. Pero conflict po kasi siya kaya I decided na yung sa highschool ko nalang ipa Red Ribbon ko. Ok lang po ba yun? Thank you po in advance.

Princess on March 21, 2017:

DFA should double check the documents submitted by their applicants. There are some docs that doesnt match with their records. For an example, associate/vocational graduates but holding a diploma instead of certificate. And a non-graduates but holding a diploma.

Vilma Makilang on December 19, 2016:

Can u do me a favor, please send me steps on red ribbon processing of my sister in laws CENOMAR. She is in japan.. on this email Thank you

felix labanda on December 13, 2016:

All the documents for red ribbon is with me now.. Can I go direct to DFA Office (Any branch) to be able to make red ribbon or No? Or still I need to go to my previous school for them to process. Thanks

ariel fetalvo on November 01, 2016:

my aunt sent an SPA authorizing me for the selling of her land. do i need to authenticated SPA from Minnesota? or can i FAcilitate the authentication here in Manila

Gina on October 11, 2016:

I will have cenomar of my son who is based in Saipan to be authenticated and red ribbon since they need it as part of requirements for marriage. May I ask aside from original copy of cenomar and official receipt, a local civil registrar copy of document is being asked. May I clarify if this copy is different from the one being issued by NSO office? Thanks

Jay Pedrozo Bejar on September 12, 2016:

What is the requirements for the red ribbon marriage contract.?

CristyTaglinao on August 22, 2016:

Good Afternoon!

Urgently need a quick response!

Could anyone tell me how much each the " Red Ribbon" for my Authenticated Cenomar and Birth Certificate for marriage purposes? How many days it will take for the rush processing? Do i need to present the original or copy of the NSO receipt? lastly, the exact location please.


agnes romin on July 30, 2016:

How much it cost for the red ribbon of birth certificate, marriage contract and special power of attorney and also certificate of heir sheet.

Ma.Louella Angeles on July 12, 2016:

i need to do red ribbon for all original documents.aside from all my original documents what are the things that i be needed to bring or to fill up?thank you!

joan on June 05, 2016:

I lost my official receipt of the nso. Can i still continue with the red ribbon. I'm from the province of isabela.

darie love on May 23, 2016:

good day,,, i need to do a red ribbon for my Certificate of employment and my prc license? what should i do? and how long will it take me to get the red ribbon?

are you also catering red ribbon applicants i DFA davao?

HannahMorales on April 11, 2016:

Good evening!

I'm currently I'm staying in dubai.

I'm urgently I'm needed to submit my TOR ,DIPLOMA,and my birth certificate NSO, can you please let me know what is the process and how much it will cost for all red ribbon ? Also the authetication certificate .

But if someone applying for my behalf what is needed?

I need urgent asap!

Ayah Thea on April 03, 2016:

asked ko lang po kung what if kung hanggang college level lang ang natapos ko tapos kukunin ako ng mama ko sa qatar pero hindi na daw po nia alam kung ganun pa rin ang sistema ng pagkuha ng red ribbon , mayrun lang po ako dito na NBI Clearance, and Passport required dn po ba un para makakuha po ako ng red ribon authentication.

eto nga po pla contact number ko #09353839482

Trylle on March 15, 2016:

the embassy will accept the birth certificate from local registry office which is scanned copy or they need the original copy?

samera on February 22, 2016:

i just wanna ask ? what documents need to make red ribbon for my marriage contract and how long it will take thanks,

unknown on February 04, 2016:

what is the requirements for passport red ribbon?is it possible that other person will process it with an authorization letter?

michael rostata on January 19, 2016:

i thought red ribbon documents have no expiry then why i should have to go another processing for my red ribbon in fact it can waste a lot of time and effort i hope DFA have a good reasoning about this!!!

anonymous on December 15, 2015:

why they require passport and nbi a red ribbon?

shai on December 14, 2015:

for marriage is possible that the second wife can get also the red ribbon while the first wife had already??pls let me know!!! thak you and God bless

Dory on December 03, 2015:

I have a with red ribbon stamp dicumentation but our P.R.O. Said its lost . Is it possible that someone used it if ever handled by the person who found it ?

Lerma on November 30, 2015:

I have an NSO copy of my marriage contract which I acquired 4 years ago. But I no longer have my receipt of that( which according to this site I need to bring the original copy of the marriage contract with the original receipt) I now need to get an authenticated copy of my marriage contract to be used in applying for UAE residence visa. Can I apply for the Authentication and Red Ribbon even without the NSO original receipt? Your response would be highly appreciated . Thanks a lot!

salip omar Khalid c. abubakar on October 26, 2015:

I am applying as seaman for international shipping. Had finished required training and I have my seaman's book. Do ihave to apply for cav for elementary high school vocational and undergraduate documents for dfa red ribbon?

kurl on October 14, 2015:

is it ok to present the id of my cousin from japan having non signature by her to claim her redribbon documents coz its not required to there country to put a sign, instead its being sealed and number coding.thanks

melai on September 29, 2015:

My red ribon are in the philippines now.they said that need a stamp of uae embassy before i received my red ribon..what the process do i need to do to hve a stamp from embassy of uae?

Drix on September 21, 2015:

Hello po! Ask ko lang kung magkano ang babayaran sa DFA kapag magcclaim personally nung pina red ribbon na TOR and diploma? Thank you!

Qtcorrs on September 15, 2015:

Hi do i need to go back to zero since my Red Ribbon was done 2009. Will it be okay if i just renew it directly to DFA? I am currently in Dubai and i need it for my new work. Thank you!

Catherine Bonsato on September 11, 2015:

I want to apply the another job but my certificate was not release.

pilar on September 07, 2015:

good day!i just want to ask how much will i pay at the deped when i submit all my documents?thank you

teng on August 26, 2015:

what if i dont have my tor just my diploma?

Daisy on August 14, 2015:

hi, i just want to ask how can i get the my TRO and diploma stamp if my school is not available, where i can get the seal for my documents? Please help ASAP

macci83 on August 09, 2015:

I just got an information from a friend of mine, both of us are working here in Abu Dhabi. Is it true that Red Ribbon documents is only valid for One year unless being stamped by the UAE embassy??

Milli on August 08, 2015:

Ask ko lang po ano po kelangan para magclaim ng nared ribboned na Tor/diploma? Kung parents mo po magclaim, ano po kelangan? Authorization letter na nanotarized po ba?

Daisy on August 03, 2015:

what if the document got soaked???what will i do??

cherrymy garcia on July 22, 2015:

how much will be the costs of birth certificate and CENOMAR in red ribbon

Bella Corazon T. Tejano on July 19, 2015:

I am about to have all my records red ribbon. I am a teacher which document be red ribbon first? thanks on July 13, 2015:

Hi. I am an ex ofw and on the process of renewing my red ribbon documents since it was stamped year 2011. I called DFA office and informed me that I can renew my old red ribboned documents. However the RLE documents from my university is not included during the process . According to my university,I need to get another set of documents from them and do the whole process to support my rle documents and send it again to ched then to DFA. Which process I will follow? Please reply to this email address. Thank you.

Maeann on July 09, 2015:

Hi... just want to ask if still I can get my CAV?? That was last yr of may... I wasnt able to get the CAC in dfa.... but istill have the stub... thankyou.

Maria guillen C. Angcog on July 05, 2015:

I already recieved my red ribbon. But sad to say the company wherein i worked they lost my red ribbon. My question is i can get my red ribbon again even im here in Dubai?

milany baclig on June 28, 2015:

my expiration po ba ang authenticated birthcertificate.

karen on June 21, 2015:

tor and diploma naredribbon n po nung 2009.. kailangan ko po bng irenew?

Hannah on June 19, 2015:

Un pong documents n dnla s dep. ed (Diploma, form 137 at certification of graduation) na for CAV after po ma-CAV un ang Dep. Ed n din po ba ang mgafoforward s DFA ng mga documents n un or ako po ang kukuha s Dep. ed at mgdadala s DFA for Red Ribbon?

Jackie on June 09, 2015:

I got with me my reb ribbon documents from college[transcript of records } but i need to attest it back to the phils -uae embassy. For the stamped. I got it last may 2013. My question is this documents still valid? Or do i need to get again new set of it? Thank you.

Raihima Monson on May 26, 2015:

I need my singleness have red rebon how much fees and hu help to me can u gve no.plz

tsongroy on May 25, 2015:

I need to validate for red ribbon my renewed NBI Clearance, Is it posssible to process my document to DFA San Fernando, Pampanga. (How much will bee the fee? if available) I am From Bataan.

jane on May 23, 2015:

hello. just want to ask regarding the red ribbon.. I had this last 2013, how much will be the renewal? could it be possible to renew or back to new papers again?tnx

iamchestern on May 19, 2015:

Hi. I read the comment thread but I cannot find any concrete answer similar to Daniel's question regarding the validity of the "red-ribboned" document (TOR). In my wife's case, she had her documents "red-ribboned" in 2012. Some forums say it is valid for 5 years from the time it was done. Does it make my wife's documents valid still? She seeks employment here in UAE.

H on May 12, 2015:

how many months or year the validity of red ribbon?

Peter on May 05, 2015:

May certified aq n diploma at TOR issued last 2008, pwede b ito ung gagamitin k para maipred ribbon or kelanagn k kumha ng bago s school registrar?

ask k lng poh kc magppared ribbon poh aq ng TOR at diploma k.


Kimberly on April 27, 2015:

i wanna just ask if i didn't get my authenticated nbi clearance

on the date schedule of release. Can i still get it the nextday?

Justine on April 24, 2015:

Can I still use my TOR? I had it since 2014.

gideon on April 21, 2015:

need ko po ng red ribbon sa TOR ko ano po ba ang requirements? thanks

jolly dela fuente on April 13, 2015:

do i need to bring a consent letter and valid ID of my wife and my son for red ribboning of their birth certificate and our marriage contract?

question on April 10, 2015:

my girlfriend and i are getting married, she lives in denmark working as aupair. She has no nso documents. im wondering if the dfa or dhl can get the original papers and red ribbon them and then send it to denmark? or if it is possible to get the nso documents on email, so she can send the email to dfa/dhl?

Shermaine on April 07, 2015:

Hi, my documents with me here are no longer valid because they were issued to me for over 6 months ago already. Is it also possible for that the agency will also obtain new copies of my needed documents from NSO such as Birth Certificate and CENOMAR before authentification? This is also to save time and money from sending documents. Hoping to get a reply.

twentyfive (author) on April 05, 2015:

You need recent documents in the last 3 months if you want to authenticate them for Red Ribbon

Arj on April 01, 2015:

Question po, to have my CENOMAR and NSO birth cert to be red ribboned, do i still need to present my local birth certificate? Please hit me back. I really need an answer. Thanks po.

Juanita Rosario on March 29, 2015:


What is the requirements for the red ribbon transcript of records???

aj ramos on March 29, 2015:

What are the requirements and process to authenticate/red ribbon my Certificate of employment here in philippines?...

twentyfive (author) on March 26, 2015:

Yes, you can authorize someone to process the authentication on your behalf. Make sure you also attach photocopy of your valid ID and your representative's valid IDs with the letter

Louise on March 24, 2015:

Hi I was planning to have my documents (TOR,RLE,Diploma) processed for Red ribbon/Authentication, if by any chance is it acceptable to send someone over on my behalf to submit my documents for the processing? I am willing to write an authorization letter for the person on my behalf.

chummming on March 22, 2015:

hey! Would like to ask regarding CAV. Does it have expiration?

my cav was actually given to me last year of november by my university. In it is an attached claim stub. I wasnt able to have it red ribbon since i'm still waiting for my other docs from elem and hs. Tnx!

twentyfive (author) on March 20, 2015:

Some DFA branches also serve DFA authentication like DFA Pampanga. Contact the DFA branch in your area to know if they also serve Red Ribbon athentication

majj on March 19, 2015:

i just want to know where i can send my diploma certificate for the attestation ? do you have any idea?

jazz kalayaan on March 15, 2015:

Red ribbon mga 300 to 650pesos.depende sa flavor alam ko mas mahal ang chocolate....

Jan on March 10, 2015:

My Uncle just wants he's TOR to be just authenticated from DFA.

Is there another authentication from DFA? Aside from CAV & Red Ribbon for TOR?

Angilyn Perillo from San Fernando, La Union on February 23, 2015:

hello i just want to redribboned my birth certificate and my cenomar, before kaylangan kong ipa authenticate po muna ang nso ko po,pati rin po ba ang cenomar and how much i pay it for rush.plz reply

tejada on February 17, 2015:

hello good pm.

how long it takes if i'm going to red ribbon the death cert. of my father. . .thanks. ..

and what should i do first or requirements to bring. . .

jick on February 15, 2015:

hi can I ask regarding the case of my documents, I already sent it for red ribbon and then, Its like I dont have any idea regarding of putting a stamp at the back of my documents / or attesting them to the embassy, so, I need to send it again for attestion in UAE embassy sa Pinas but the is that there looking for my DFA receipt but its already gone.. . is it possible that they can attest my documents/credentials without the receipt from DFA?please I need your advice of what to do. I really need it as soon as possible.

Joanna Marie Quisano on January 26, 2015:

I just wanted to ask if the authenticated documents have expiration date? and if my documents have been stamped in a different country can i still use it to other countries or i would have to authenticate the documents again? thanks!

Mitzy on January 22, 2015:

Does DFA honor a printed scanned copy of an authorization letter to claim a red ribbon document?

charrie mae on January 22, 2015:

hello poh..ask lng poh sana ako,kasi yung na RED Ribbon kuna diploma ay nawala ,saan poh pwede ako ulit kumuha dito sa DUBAI?

this is an urgent poh,please help me..

chiclet on January 04, 2015:

do you know how to authenticate original diploma ? Qatar is requiring this documents

twentyfive (author) on November 09, 2014:

I don't think so coz it's already been a year

Prof. Bimal Solanki on November 03, 2014:

It was really informative to read about getting the documents red ribboned.

hazel on September 27, 2014:

i lost my claim stub what will i do. please help me.

annalyn on September 26, 2014:

is it possible po b na personal appearance po in securing my documents

Oliver on September 25, 2014:

Recently my brother process my highschool diploma for red ribbon. We studied in autonomous school. They provide him all the necessary requirements for red ribbon such as authenticated diploma with original one, cert. of graduation, form 137, CAV, but the DFA Manila return the document with a comments " Caption should be TOR and Diploma" we don't understand what does it,,, please us to resolve this one for company who hired require this documents ASAP for my employment , thank you.

ensign on September 25, 2014:

i need to get cav and passport in dfa near aseana. My question is, is it possible to get them both at the same day? it is more convenient if its possible because i am very far from dfa aseana. your quick response is highly appreciated.

Roann A. Gruta on September 13, 2014:

Pina Red Ribbon Ko Po Yung TOR Sa School Ko Sa Fatima Sabi After 1Week Kunin Ko Daw Sa DFA Pero Di Ko Parin Nakuha Hanggang Ngayun.. Pwede Ko Pa Bang Makuha???

Jana237 on September 02, 2014:

@twentyfive this is so helpful & informative.

I would like to ask & know if i can do the uae attestation here in the Phils since my sister is already in uae because i was told that her papers needs to be attested by the uae embassy.

Can i just go directly to DHL and let them do the attestation? Do have any idea what requirements do i need to bring since i chose DHL to do it for my sister.

Waiting for ur reply the soonest possible time.


cristina on August 18, 2014:

Hi good day to you!I'm just asking what if I have my highschool diploma and tor since I graduate a very long it possible not to go to school again and request a new one?what shall I do to have a red ribbon?hoping for your reply,thank you godbless!!

Jea on July 30, 2014:

Hi.. I need ur help.. Ask ko lang if ok lang makuha yung pina red ribbon ko kahit late na aq makapunta sa scheuled time ko? Nkasulat sa receipt ko na between 8-10am yung pag claim, but then manggaling pa kc aq ng pampanga. Out ko from work is 8am.. So maybe 11 or 12nn na ako mkkrating sa DFA.. Heeeeeeelp!

benjie on July 24, 2014:

magkano po ba ang ridribon ng TOR, Diploma and PRC license thank po

leona bitonio on July 23, 2014:

meron din po ba pa red ribbon ng nbi?

Merasol Change on July 17, 2014:

Why the DHL davao is not making red ribbon almost 2 weeks now. I want to make red ribbon my birth certificate and senomar.

Related Articles