Karen Hellier is a freelance writer and eBay entrepreneur. She lives happily in the mountains of North Georgia with her husband and her dog.
Although some couples take cruises with friends, family, or to meet other couples, cruises can also be very romantic vacations for two. With the advent of Anytime dining and Freestyle dining, couples can now eat anytime they want and ask for a table for two on many cruise lines. There are also adult only pools on many lines, which are less crowded than pools for families and children. There are also couples only areas, although some do cost an extra fee. If you are bringing your children along, you can sign them in at the Kids Club and have time to yourselves as a couple.
Below is a list of romantic activities for couples to do on their cruise vacation:
* Get married; many cruise ships now have chapels with staff on board to perform weddings.
* Renew your vows; see above!
* Go out to dinner alone, just the 2 of you.
* Watch movies under the stars together on Princess Ships; complete with blankets, lounge chairs and free popcorn.
* Book a couples massage.
*Book a 1-week spa pass on Norwegian Ships to enjoy co-ed saunas, heated tile lounges, relaxation pools, and hot tubs.
* Take a shore excursion which might include riding horses on the beach, or riding a moped for two!
* Find a secluded area of the ship and two lounge chairs and relax in the sun together.
* Walk around the promenade deck at night under the stars; especially wonderful on a beautiful moonlit night.
* Go dancing every night.
* Take ballroom dancing lessons; then go dancing every night! Most cruise ships offer ballroom dancing lessons, and there is always at least one venue that offers music to dance to on board the ship.
* Learn something new together. Cruise ships have many educational activities that are offered on board. Whether it be a class about art, photography or cooking, the couple that learns new things together keeps excitement in their relationship.
* Have a glass of wine together before dinner in the atrium while listening to musicians play. ( Princess ships are great for this)
* Have room service bring breakfast to your room and eat breakfast in bed together.
* Take in an "almost" Broadway show.
* Book a room with a balcony and enjoy a glass of wine by sunset before dinner, or have coffee together at dawn watching the sun rise over the deep blue sea.
* Book an anniversary or honeymoon cruise package which usually includes welcome refreshments in your cabin, a bottle of wine, a dinner while on the ship, and a party with other couples celebrating their love. On Princess ships, it can also include flowers, canapes before formal nights, and chocolate covered strawberries, yum!
Cruising is the perfect vacation for those who want to relax and not worry about what hotel to stay in, where to pick up the rental car, or where to eat each night. Everything is at your fingertips, and I hope the above tips will help you add some romance to an already relaxing vacation.
Here's a quick video of a woman who enjoyed a romantic dinner with her husband on a Princess cruise ship!
More cruise articles...My Review of the Princess Cruise ship: The Sapphire Princess
- Cruise Ship Review: The Sapphire Princess
The Sapphire Princess is a gorgeous cruise ship with friendly staff, delicious food, and a wonderful décor.
- Norwegian Epic Cruise Ship: A Photo Essay
Many photos of the unique cruise ship, the Norwegian Epic. This ship cruises the Eastern Caribbean and Europe.
- I'm a Cruise Fanatic: 15 reasons I Love Cruising
I have cruised on Princess cruise lines, Norweigian cruise lines and Holland America Cruise lines. I am now addicted to cruising vacations and this article gives explains my top 15 reasonswhy.
© 2012 Karen Hellier
Karen Hellier (author) from Georgia on May 21, 2012:
Oh yes, I highly recommend a cruise to reconnect romantically with your partner. There's so much for couples to do, and when you don't have the kids to worry about, couples can concentrate on each other, and do things they like to do. I hope you and your husband get to go on one together. And you should definitely write a hub about it if you do!!!
Mary Craig from New York on May 21, 2012:
My one and only cruise included my kids and it was the best vacation we ever had. It sounds like a cruise for two could be in my future! Voted up.
Karen Hellier (author) from Georgia on April 17, 2012:
Have a wonderful time jollyjump. I haven't ever been on a royal Caribbean Cruise ship, but I hear it's one of the best cruise lines. You should write a hub about it when you get back!!!
jollyjump from Columbus, GA on April 17, 2012:
We are going to the Bahamas on Royal Caribbean International.
Karen Hellier (author) from Georgia on April 15, 2012:
I hope you enjoy it as much as my husband and I do. They are very relaxing vacations. What cruise line are you going on?
jollyjump from Columbus, GA on April 14, 2012:
Thanks for sharing! Going to take my wife on a cruise.
Karen on January 31, 2012:
Good idea and a great way for you and hubby to get some quality alone time. If you ever want to take the kids again, Norwegian has 2 ships, the Epic and the Jewel that are Nickelodeon themed and have characters roaming around, slime time, etc. It's great for the kiddos.
CassyLu1981 from Spring Lake, NC on January 31, 2012:
We went on a cruise to Greece with the three kids and we had a GREAT time as a family! We are planning on doing one with just me and my husband but we have to find a great babysitter first :) Wonderful ideas!!!
Thanks for SHARING!
Karen Hellier (author) from Georgia on January 29, 2012:
That sounds like a great plan!
cjhellierIII on January 29, 2012:
After reading this, I think I'll take my wife on a long romantic cruise to the South Pacific!