Whenever I drive to the airport or the train station to begin my next trip, I always have that panicky feeling because I think I forgot something. I mentally go through all the things I packed but I can never quite calm myself down. I am not the most organized person when I pack and on top of that, I always pack 2 hours before I leave. Luckily, I have never forgotten something as important as my passport or wallet. But I usually did forget one or the other thing which I had to purchase at my travel destination. So I decided to write my own packing list in order to be more organized when I pack my suitcase and now I am sharing it with you. If you are one of those forgetful people as well, take a look at this packing list. I am sure by using this list, you can finally enjoy the ride to be airport!
Money and Keys
1. Your wallet (Check if you have all the credit cards you need and an appropriate amount of cash.
2. Some extra money that you put in another place than your wallet.
3. Your keys (Give another set of keys to the neighbor or a friend in case of an emergency or simply so they can water your flowers)
4. Car keys
Documents and Information
5. Your passport (Check a couple of weeks before if it's still valid. If not, get it renewed!)
6. Your visa, where required
7. Your drivers license ( maybe an international one depending on your length of stay)
8. A list of phone numbers in case something happens to your cell phone (Let's face it. Since the age of cell phones, no one even knows their mothers phone number anymore! I feel guilty...)
9. Addresses for postcards
10. Travel guides for the places you are visiting. They will cost double or triple at the airport.
11. A dictionary
12. A book with important phrases and words in the language of the country you are traveling to, provided its not your native language
13. Important passwords which you hide well (you might have to access your online banking in an emergency for instance)
14. Health insurance card
15. Travel insurance documents
16. Any booking confirmations you need for courses or classes or trips you booked
18. Vaccination records
19. Instruction manuals for various equipment
21. Car documents
23. Paper and pens
24. Work documents (for the workaholics)
25. Underwear (bras, boxers, panties, thongs etc.)
27. Pants (leggings, jeans, shorts, ski pants)
30. Shoes (for women this should be divided up into: sneakers, heels, running shoes, ballerina shoes, flip flops, hiking shoes...)
31. Jackets and coats
33. Dresses and skirts and/or shorts
37. Suits and/or blazers
41. Neck ties
42. Sports outfit
43. Polo shirts
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- 100 Reasons Why You Should Travel
Traveling has so many benefits and will turn you into a better human being. Traveling is fun and teaches you great lessons. Keep reading for more reasons to travel...
- Visiting the Brazilian Tropical Island Ilha Grande
A beautiful paradise can be found on Ilha Grande, a Brazilian tropical island in the Atlantic Ocean. You can go trekking, scuba-diving, swimming and observe exotic animals. Find out more!
Body Care, Hygiene and Beauty Products
45. Manicure Case
46. Toilet paper (for those planning on hiking for instance or for those traveling to a country where you might not find it everywhere... )
47. Hair-care products (shampoos, conditioners, masks, hairspray, gel, other hair-care products)
48. Skin-care products (skin cream, sunscreen, lip balm, eye cream, body lotion)
49. Makeup (including makeup remover and cotton pads)
50. Hair dryer, straightener and/or curling iron
52. Medicine (against headaches, stomach aches, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, allergies, motion sickness… You never know what the foreign food or the temperature change is going to do to you)
53. Toothbrush and toothpaste
54. Towels if needed
55. Tampons or sanitary napkins for women and shaving equipment for men.
57. Brushes and combs
59. Special containers or bottles to take liquids in the airplane (more than 150ml is often a problem) and plastic seals for those containers
60. First aid kit
61. Laundry kit & laundry bag
62. Small mirror
63. Disinfectant spray
64. Insect repellent
66. Birth control
67. Your watch.
68. Jewelry (Necklaces , earrings , bracelets, piercings, rings...)
69. Sunglasses and/or your regular glasses and/or contact lenses and care products for contact lenses)
70. Your laptop or tablet in case you want to check emails or do some surfing while on vacation
71. Your phone (unless you would rather like to leave your phone at home in order to be able to completely relax with no disturbances. The same applies to number 6.
72. Your digital camera and/or your underwater camera
74. Gps ( if you have your own you won't have to rent one if you plan on renting a car)
75. Charging cables or stations for cameras, laptops, cell phones , tablets etc.)
76. Download a currency exchange app if you are traveling to a country with a foreign currency
78. Flash drive
79. Memory cards
80. Head phones
Equipment for Activities
83. Sports gear ( some examples: swimming and/or diving gear , skiing gear, hiking and climbing gear, surfing gear, sailing gear, biking gear)
84. Camping equipment (tents, cooking equipment, food, lighter, pocket knife, flashlight, etc.)
85. Bags like your suitcase, backpacks and purses ( okay it's highly unlikely that you are going I forget those... But take the opportunity when you go through this list to check if your suitcase is still in a good condition. You don't want it to break down somewhere in the Himalaya.
86. Locks for bags and their appropriate keys
87. Some snacks and drinks for the time at the airport (way too expensive at the airport)
88. A neck pillow, which makes sleeping on the airplane or any other vehicle you are traveling with more pleasant, and a blanket (the ones they give you on the plane are so thin!)
89. Magazines or books for the traveling time.( also overpriced at the airport)
90. Ear plugs and eye mask
This and That
91. For those with kids (diapers, bottles, clothing, toys, snacks, books, car seat, medicine, skincare products... I could make another list of 100 things to take with you when traveling with kids, lol..)
93. Self-defense spray
94. Document holders for under your clothes
95. Playing cards
96. Gifts if you are visiting someone
97. Rubber bands
98. Sewing kit
99. Pet food
100. Person, people or animals you are traveling with
Denise W Anderson from Bismarck, North Dakota on April 08, 2015:
I know what it is like to forget something when traveling! I have had to borrow from the most unlikely people! Thanks for creating this comprehensive list!
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on April 07, 2015:
Great packing list, Jen, with the must-haves on this check list. Voted up for useful!
Jennifer Madison (author) from Lohmar on April 05, 2015:
I am glad you enjoyed the article Edward. :)
Oh yes, bigocean, imagine how women feel! :)
George Bogosian from New England on April 05, 2015:
I need a bigger baggage!
Ed Palumbo from Tualatin, OR on April 05, 2015:
This is excellent advice, and I enjoyed reading this!
Jennifer Madison (author) from Lohmar on April 05, 2015:
Great! Glad this hub could be of some use :) Thanks for visiting!
poetryman6969 on April 05, 2015:
A pretty complete hub. I can use it as a checklist for my upcoming trip to California.