Pixie is an IT professional ,who shares some real life tips then and there ,that can help others lead a happy life.
What Is A 5G Network?
To start with 5G is a wireless standard network that uses millimeter waves. It is faster than 4g network. Yes, it is fast enough to connect every thing virtually. The high speed is achieved by using higher frequency radio waves than the former networks. But these millimeter waves can not pass through walls or windows of an infrastructure, also they can provide useful network only within a shorter area. Hence there has to be many small cells built to support wider range of the network. Also these are currently expected to be built around the most crowded public places due to their high cost.
The service is decided to be provided in three different frequency bands low, medium and high.
1. The low band 5G uses frequency range of 600-700 MHZ .And gives 30-250 megabits per second download speed. These are similar to 4G.
2. The mid band uses 2.5-3.7 GHZ allowing download speeds of 100-900 Mbit/s.
3. High band uses frequencies of 25-39 GHZ. It achieves download speed in gigabits per second.
After 1G,2G,3G and 4G, 5G network has arrived. Ever since the idea arrived there has always been a controversy about it killing birds and damaging ecosystems. But is it actually true that 5G can affect the environment? and do we need a faster network than 4G? Let's see everything that you need to know about 5G before supporting or abandoning it.
Do We Need 5G? Is It A Necessity?
In my opinion, 5G is not necessary or very important right now. Because the existing technologies are good enough to suffice the human needs. And working on what's important right now is wiser than to increase the efficiency of something that is already doing good. If we had the nature and the earth backing us up in this process of advancement, 5G would have been a great compliment to the human society. But right now our focus should be to stabilise the climate changes.
Yes ,there will be an advancement in healthcare,communications and the automobile field with 5G rolling out, but the current technologies are just doing fine. Thus 5G network is good to have but may not be a necessity.
They will be of better use in future than now. If we are able to curb the climate changes and protect our living planet , 5G will be of great use.
Impacts Of 5G Network On The Environment
Though we are not sure about the immediate environmental impacts of the 5G network there are certain long term effects that will have to be considered.
1. The millimeter waves used to make the 5G network has some effects on birds life. The center for environment and vocational studies of Punjab university researchers observed that after exposure to radiation for just 5-30 minutes, the eggs of sparrows were disfigured. Though this problem was said to exist with the already existing networks ,the intensity has increased with the 5G network. The significant short time for this to happen is the notable point here.
2. A major concern about the environmental impact of 5G is how much energy it will consume. So far U.S. telecoms use 36 million megawatt hours of electricity annually, roughly equal to the electricity consumed annually by 2.6 million U.S. homes. 5G is expected to consume up to 3 times the energy it takes to power the LTE network. According to IEEE spectrum 5G use cases require more power hungry base stations to ensure full coverage. This has grim implications. Much of the united states still depends on emission heavy fossil fuels like coal and natural gas for its electricity.
3. 5G may have certain effects on insects. Insects often rely on high frequencies to communicate and detect food and predators. A 2018 study published in Nature detailed the effects of various radio frequencies on simulated insect models. Studies showed that at frequencies in mm Wave spectrum, the insect models absorbed more energy.
Quoting the need of sustainability
"Sustainable development is the pathway to the future we want for all. It offers a framework to generate economic growth, achieve social justice,exercise environmental stewardship and strengthen governance."
- Ban ki-moon
Debunking The Myths
There are many rumors and myths going on about the newly built cells for the 5G network. Let's look at that.
1. There are rumors going on that the network system may affect human health and even cause cancer. In 2019 a letter titled "International EMF Scientist Appeal " was endorsed by European scientists urging further testing of the 5G network components and its impacts on the life ecosystem.But no solid evidence has been produced so far proving that there will be a major effect on human health.
2. 5G is not radioactive. Pictures of a cell worker wearing hazardous materials suit claimed that the worker was working on a 5G tower. However, it has already been proven that cell towers do not emit enough radiation in order to pose a risk to humans.
3. 5G does not cause cancer. The radio frequency range 5G uses does not have enough power to break down DNA molecules.
4. Japan did not halt 5G deployment due to health concerns. In fact they are ushering the 5G deployment.
5. A cell tower in Dagenham, England was destroyed in an arson attack fuelled by conspiracy theories linking corona virus pandemic and the new 5G tower.
False narratives around 5G and corona virus have been shared hundreds of thousands of times on social media. They vary widely from the claims that the corona virus is a coverup for 5G deployment to those that say new 5G installations have created the virus. But there's no evidence that the wireless communications network harm the immune system ,said Myrtill Simko, scientific director of sci-proof international in Sweden, who has spent decades investigating this matter.
Worldwide Presence Currently
To stay ahead in the global economy competition, countries are adapting to 5G technology. Communication providers around the world are competing one another to build and deploy the new network system.
According to estimates published in an information technology research paper. 5G technology could bring 22.3 million jobs by 2035.
South Korea, China and United States are the countries leading in building and deploying the 5G network. Also countries like Turkey, Estonia and Sweden are taking significant steps to make 5G available for commercial use.
The country is ahead of other countries in 5G deployment. The country has rolled out 5G to 85 cities as of Jan 2020. Government officials estimate 90% of korea's mobile users will be on a 5G network by 2026.
Japan has met its goal to launch 5G mobile service by 2020. In Sept 2019, NTT DOCOMO company rolled out pre-commercial 5G services. The test phase went well and the company began offering consumer 5G services on March 25,2020.
The United States
The FCC spectrum frontiers order laid the groundwork for the use of 5G technology in United States. In July 2016, FCC began creating rules for 5G technology, making the United states the first country opening a high-band spectrum for the technology.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.