Spam text messages are not only annoying, they can also be harmful. If a spam texter gets access to your cell phone number, it can cause all kinds of trouble for you later on—including scams and frauds where someone tries to trick you out of money or personal information by pretending to be from an official government agency or other entity (for example, the IRS or your bank).
Spam text messages are annoying, but there are ways you can report them.
Report unwanted spam texts to your mobile provider
If you’ve received a text message that looks like spam, and you don’t know how to report it on your phone, you can follow the steps below.
To report a spam text message on your iPhone:
- Go to “Settings” then tap “Messages.”
- Select the message(s) that look like spam and click on “More…” at the bottom of screen.
- From here, click on “Report Spam.”
- Once completed, Apple will investigate and take appropriate action against those who are responsible for sending misleading or unwanted messages in violation of their terms of service (ToS).
To report spam text messages on your Android:
- Open your mobile phone's messaging app.
- Find and select the text message from the spammer you wish to report.
- Select the three vertical dots in the top-right corner of that message, then select "Report Spam" (or something similar).
Forward unwanted message to 7726
If you receive spam text messages, forwards them to 7726. Verizon users can also forward the message to SPAM (72267). This is a free service that is available to all major cell phone carriers. Your carrier will then forward the unwanted message to the network provider of the spammer's phone number. If you receive spam in your inbox, forward it to 7726 for email instead. The text or email will be sent from us, [Spamfighter], with an attached copy of the original message for your records and reference. You'll receive a confirmation message when we've successfully sent your report off so you can be sure we got it and know what happened next!
Report it to the Federal Trade Commission
To report spam text messages to the FTC, visit their website [www.ftc.gov](https://www.ftc.gov/) and click on "Report Fraud."
To report a text message you received:
- Fill out the form on the page by entering your phone number, address, and email address if you have one;
- Choose whether or not you want to give them permission to contact you about this matter (you can always opt out later);
- Submit! You'll be taken to a page confirming that your information has been received by the FTC and providing a confirmation number for your records. Don't forget this number!
Best way to stop spam texts
The best way to stop text message spam is to simply block the messages. Once you block messages from a specific sender, they won't be able to send you any more texts. But it's important not to respond or open any links in these kinds of messages, as doing so could lead you straight into an attack that could compromise your mobile device and potentially even steal personal information from your phone.
You should also avoid clicking on links in these types of text messages and opening any attachments that come with them — those will likely lead you somewhere dangerous on the web, too. Also be aware that if a message asks for personal information (like credit card numbers), don't reply back with anything other than "stop." You'd be surprised how often people fall prey to this type of scam because they're eager enough to report their experience as spam that they let their guard down when responding directly with details like credit card numbers or passwords; spammers count on this kind of carelessness!
How to block spam texts
As a first step, you can block texts from a specific person. On Android and iPhone, you can do this by going to the settings menu in your phone and scrolling down until you see a category titled “Blocked numbers.” If there are any blocked numbers already listed, tap on them to see the name of who sent them and options to unblock that sender or report spam text.
To block texts from specific numbers or groups of people:
If you want to stop receiving texts from all unknown senders (including messages from family members who aren't part of your contact list), then follow these steps:
From Settings > Messages > Blocked contacts & SMS > Add new
Go into Contacts app> Menu> Settings> Call & Message blocking
You can also use a call blocker to block unwanted calls and text messages on your phone automatically or by creating a list of unwanted number and then adding them to the list.