Want to make Gmail your homepage? This is easy, and these instructions work for all the popular browsers: Internet Explorer (IE), Firefox, Chrome, or Safari. And not a bad idea, considering how often so many of us start our day by checking our email.
Make Gmail your Homepage - Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer.
- Click Tools in the top menu, and select Internet Options at the bottom.
- In the small window that pops up, look for the Home page section at the top of the General tab.
- Erase what's currently in that box, and type in the following:
- Hit the OK button at the bottom
- Opening up a new tab or window, or restarting IE, will then bring up Gmail for you.
Make Gmail Your Home page - Firefox
- Start Firefox.
- In the menu at the top, select Tools, and then Options... at the bottom of the menu.
- Click on the General tab (looks like a light switch)
- In the drop-down next to "When Firefox starts", choose Show my home page.
- In the field next to "Home Page", type in:
- Click the OK button at the bottom.
- Open up a new tab or window, or restart your browser altogether. The first thing you should see is Gmail.
Make Gmail Your Homepage - Google Chrome
- Start up Chrome.
- In the upper-right corner, click the wrench (spanner) icon.
- Choose Options from the drop-down menu. It will open up a new tab called "Options - Basics."
- In that tab, in the first section, called On startup, make sure the first radio button, "Open the home page," is selected.
- In the next section, called Home page, choose the second radio button, "Open this page", and enter:
- In the section below that, called Toolbar, you might want to check off the box next to "Show Home button". This will show a little house icon to the left of the Web address bar at the top, which, if you click it, will then automatically take you to Gmail, too.
- Close the tab when you're done. (You don't have to hit an OK or Save button; yeah, it's a little weird)
Make Gmail your Home Page in Safari
- Start up Safari,
- In the upper-right, click the icon that looks like a gear (this is to the far-right of the Web address bar).
- From the drop-down menu that shows up, choose Preferences...
- A small window will pop up. Choose the General tab (with the light-switch icon) if it isn't already selected.
- About halfway down, find the field "Home page" and enter the following:
- Close that small window.
- When you restart Safari, your homepage will now be Gmail.
Hank on October 01, 2013:
For Chrome users there is no "wrench" in upper right hand corner. There was once, but that was months ago. How about updating your instructions for making Gmail my home page?
pforlenza on October 14, 2011:
can i get the old homepage back?
Elena@LessIsHealthy on June 30, 2011:
One awesome vote up! I am one of your followers now.
Aurelio Locsin from Orange County, CA on June 23, 2011:
Thanks for the step-by-step. Voting this Up and Useful.
Jason Menayan (author) from San Francisco on June 23, 2011:
Hi Cardisa - Thank you for your comment. Yes, adding Gmail to your Google start page (iGoogle) is definitely a popular option, too. :)
Carolee Samuda from Jamaica on June 23, 2011:
Hi there Livelonger,
I use Firefox, and one way I access Gmail on the homepage without losing my other features is using iGoogle, this way I can access all my mail, news, entertainment etc right there.