I enjoy sharing troubleshooting tips and advice to help solve various technical issues.
Kodi is a digital player that streams Movies, TV shows, IPTV on Windows, Linux, Fire stick, Raspberry pi, Android, and Apple TV. So, updating the Kodi brings you the latest features, latest fixes, optimizations.
So here is the step-by-step procedure on how to update Kodi on different platforms.
Update Kodi Within Itself (Firestick)
- First of all, launch the firestick main menu and go to settings.
- Now, click on applications and click manage installed applications and select open Kodi.
- Click on add-ons.
- Then select package installer (located at the top).
- Now select ''install from repository'' and select ''Kodi add-on repository.''
- Now go to program add-ons and find or select Kodi android installer or the file name of the latest installer package and install it.
- After installing, open the android installer and click on the releases.
- Now, select Arm Kodi release, then choose ''Kodi-18.1-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk'' or the latest one.
- Download will start with Kodi version 18.1 or a newer version if available.
- After completing downloading, a box will appear to ask you that install; click install. That’s it.
- Now you have the latest version installed on your firestick.
- There is another way to install the latest version of Kodi via a suitable file manager (ES file explorer).
Update Kodi Within Itself On Firestick Via File Manager
Note: You can use any file manager. I have used ES file manager here.
- First, open the firestick main menu and search ES file explorer and then open it.
- Click on tools and then select download manager.
- Now, click on ''+new''.
- Now type ''http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/kodi-18.1-Leia-armeabi-v7a.apk'' or ''http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm64-v8a/kodi-18.1-Leia-arm64-v8a.apk'' in the path and press ok.
- After downloading, click ''open file'' to install on the firestick.
- Now go back to the home screen and launch updated Kodi.
Update Kodi On Android Phones Via Google Play Store
- Open Google play store and type Kodi.
- Now, install it or update to the latest version if already installed.
Update Kodi On Android Phones Via Website
- Open Kodi website ''kodi.tv/download.''
- Head over to ''android.''
- Select ''ARMV7A (32BIT)'' or ''ARMV8A (64BIT)'' according to your supported platform.
- Now click on any of them and downloading will start.
- After completing download, click install to install it and launch it.
Update Kodi on Android Box
Process of updating Kodi on android box is same as android devices.
- Open browser on android box and type the web address ''kodi.tv/download.''
- Now click on ''android.''
- Now click on ''ARMV7A (32BIT)'' or ''ARMV8A (64BIT)'' according to android box version. It starts downloading after clicking on it.
- Now, go to downloaded applications folder and find the downloaded file and open it and install it. It will ask for update so click on update.
Update Kodi On Windows
- Open Kodi and go to ''add-ons.''
- Click package installer (box type icon top left side).
- Select ''install from repository.''
- Now, find and select ''Kodi add-ons repository.''
- Go to program add-ons and then select windows installer and hit install button.
- Go to main screen and then select ''add-ons > program add-ons > Kodi Installer.''
- Now, click on the releases and select 32bit or 64bit according to operating system.
- Select latest version and install it.
You can also download latest Kodi version of windows from kodi.tv/download and install it.
Update Kodi On Windows Via Windows Store
- Open windows store and find Kodi and install it.
- Here you will update Kodi app to latest version automatically.
Update Kodi On Windows Via Kodi Website
In this solution you can download Kodi directly from the official web site and install it to your pc.
- Go to Kodi website ''kodi.tv/download.''
- Now, select windows.
- Now, select installer 64bit or 32bit according to your OS.
- After downloading install it.
Update Kodi On MacOS
In this solution Kodi version will be automatically installed after installing from the website.
- Open internet browser and go to ''kodi.tv/download.''
- Now click on the MacOS and click on installer 64bit.
- After downloading, install it.
Updating Kodi On GBox
Before updating Kodi, you will have to require downloading a file manager. We will use ES file manager here.
- Go to Google play store and the type and find ES file explorer and install it.
- Now go to the browser and type ''kodi.tv/download.''
- Go to android and select ''ARMV7A (32BIT)'' or ''ARMV8A (64BIT)'' according to OS and click on it to download and install.
So above are the steps to update Kodi on various operating systems. Updating Kodi is necessary to get the latest updates of fixes and patches. Advanced users can directly download from the website and install it on each operating system. Before trying to update, uninstall the old version to avoid errors during installation.
© 2021 Dhruv Joshi