For many small and medium-sized businesses, which do not have the budget to hire a digital agency, the possibilities are therefore often limited to:
- have a basic site at a low cost
- not have a site at all (which is no longer an option today)
In response to this problem, Webflow is positioning itself by offering a solution that allows a small team, or even a single web designer, to create a powerful site, from A to Z.
What is Webflow?
Born in 2013, Webflow is a website creation and management tool.
This particular CMS (Content Management System) allows you to create websites without in-depth code knowledge. Webflow sets itself apart from its competitors by its more visual and ultra-intuitive interface. It's the perfect hybrid between traditional site-building tools like Wix, content management systems like WordPress, and manually coding your site.
In a few hours, you will be able, thanks to Webflow, to create and then put online a professional website without difficulty.
Many national and international companies such as Groupon, MTV, Pinterest, or IBM have chosen to use this solution.
Webflow presents itself today as a reliable solution for all those who want to create a website but do not know programming and coding languages.
The many features offered by Webflow allow you to produce a personalized site that reflects your company and is of professional quality.
How does Webflow work?
First of all, when you arrive on the Webflow platform, you have to create your own account. Then the first step is to choose a design for your future website.
There are three options available to start your project:
- Start with a blank page that leaves the field free to imagine your site as you wish.
- Start from one of the proposed frameworks where the page sections are already defined.
- Choose one of the templates already created to modify with images, typographies and icons integrated.
Once this choice has been made, you are directed to the editing platform which allows you to edit and modify the smallest aspects of the site.
In Webflow you will also find many customization plug-ins so that your content is unique and in the image of your brand.
Webflow's editing interface is a mix of classic interfaces like Wix and Photoshop: it's an interface that is both ergonomic and versatile (however, unlike Photoshop, there is less layout flexibility).
I find in the use of Webflow a very intuitive side which is in addition to being appreciable, saves time: you can modify any element of the content of the page by clicking directly on it with the mouse.
In addition, Webflow offers very advanced features for customizing styles, fonts, formats, colors, etc.
For example, regarding typography, you will find a wide choice of fonts.
Additionally, Webflow allows you to load Google Fonts, Adobe TypeKit Fonts, and even custom fonts.
A “responsive” visualization in real-time
You can directly view your site according to the different screen sizes (computer, smartphone tablet) to check that it is responsive.
You even have the possibility to modify the mobile version of your site without impacting the computer version.
A simple and practical blog
Regarding the blog and the publication of articles, Webflow offers a separate section for writing articles. As expected, you have the possibility to date them, add images, and specify a few lines about the author.
The blog section is completed by a “cms collections” section which has a large number of features to automatically optimize your blog and your site.
It is then that we can create the grid of posts, and they are positioned automatically according to the choices you made upstream. You will always be able to come back to your articles to modify, update or delete them.
Webflow also offers dozens of tutorials accessible from the editing interface (left menu) to help you get started with the software.
These are very practical for getting to know the different features of the software and thus take advantage of the possibilities offered by Webflow.
A webdesign tool for beginners and professionals
To sum up, Webflow is a serious CMS for novices but also an interface for professionals who want to create a versatile and professional-looking website faster, without necessarily having to use code or more complex techniques.
Thanks to the ergonomics of Webflow's interface and all the practical features it offers, you can easily and quickly create a modern and responsive website for professional use.
In a few hours, you will be able to create and then upload your first website with Webflow without difficulty.
The site in question will already have a good positioning in the SERPS and you will have to refine the SEO part so that your site reaches the first pages of Google.
Thanks to Webflow, your websites will improve your brand image and boost the number of your customers.
The essential points to remember about Webflow
- Layouts and elements already created directly in the interface (left menu)
- The use of predefined sections facilitate the construction of pages
- Parent sections + child sections
- Ultra-advanced personalization of design
- No need for HTML
- Possibility to export the HTML code (paid version)
- Ability to use and download custom fonts
- Very good template quality
- Webflow allows you to improve the natural referencing of your website by making various SEO tools available to you.
- Possibility to customize the 404 page
- Unable to import photos/gif larger than 4Mb
- Webflow does not allow you to create e-commerce sites (for the moment)
- The interface can be quite complex because it has a lot of features (this platform would be aimed particularly at web professionals such as web designers, agencies, etc.) but also at curious people who want to discover the art of realization of a website without the use of coding
- Webflow is an in-browser interface only
My opinion on Webflow
Visual and intuitive, Webflow is a truly effective tool that fits in with the trends of new page builders (Elementor, Divi, SiteOrigin, Visual Composer).
Its innovative approach, between CMS and creation tool, makes it easy to use for web beginners who will be able, thanks to it, to design and publish aesthetic websites without coding a single line.
Web design professionals will know how to appreciate its advanced features.