Patrick, a computer technician, is a dedicated writer who wishes to make the world better by informing individuals who seek more knowledge.
Insert Menu of MS Word 2003
The insert menu has got several important commands that we can use to modify and turn an ordinary text into a professional one.
These are some of the uses of the commands found in the insert menu of Microsoft Office Word 2003.
Commands Found in Insert Menu of MS Word 2003
- Break: - The break command is used to insert various types of breaks on a document. These are some of the break types we have;
- Page break – marks where your page ends and another begins. There are two types of page breaks soft (automatic) inserted by Microsoft Word once you reach the bottom of a page and hard (manual) inserted at a specific location. To insert a manual break, click on where you want to create it the click on insert > break > page break.
- Column break - Use this command when you want to break a column into two or more columns.
- Text wrapping break - This break is closely akin to line break (Shift+Enter). A text-wrapping break breaks a line of text and moves the text to the next line. This type of break is intended for use with text that wraps around graphics.
Section Break Types;
- Next page - Insert a section break and start the new section on the next page.
- Continuous - Insert a section break and start the new even page section on the same page.
- Even page - Insert a section break and start the new section on the next even-numbered page.
- Odd page - Insert a section break and start the new section on the next odd-numbered page.
Inserting Page Numbers
- Page numbers: - The page numbers command is used for numbering pages in a document. The options you select when applying for page numbers on your document are;
Position - this where you determine if your page numbers will appear at the top or bottom.
Alignment helps you set on which side of the page the numbers will appear; left, right, centre, inside, outside. You can tick the 'show number on the first page' checkbox if you want to have a page number present on your document’s first page.
Here comes the most important point, click on the format to set the number format. This is numbered, Romans, or alphabets. Still, under the number format, you can specify the page number to start with.
The Page Number Dialog Box
Inserting Date and Time
- Date and time: - Use this command to enter the date and time in your work. Procedure – click on where you want to have your date and time and then insert date and time. Select the date and time format you want to use. If you want them to be updated automatically you must click on the checkbox written update automatically.
- Autotext: - Autotexts are predefined texts that come incorporated in the Microsoft Word template. You select the one you want and then fill in the rest of the details. For example, if you use a closing autotext yours truly, then after that you only type your name.
- Field:- This option helps you insert any field type to where you have clicked. A field is just a set of codes that tell Microsoft Word to insert text, page numbers, graphics and other different types of fields.
Inserting Symbols and Comments
- Symbol: - the symbol command is used to insert characters that are not on the keyboard and Unicode (A character encoding standard developed by the Unicode Consortium) characters to your document.
- Comment: - This button helps to insert a note or annotation to a document. This can be useful when you are reviewing a document. The comment is usually displayed in a balloon in the margin of the document or the reviewing pane.
- Reference:- The reference command enables you to insert the following; footnote (a note placed at the end of the page explaining a word used in the document or citing references), caption (a numbered label that is added to a picture, table figure equation, graphic, or other items, for example, “Table 1”), cross-reference, and then lastly, index and tables (where you can insert index, table of contents, table of figures and table of authorities).
- Picture:- there are various things you can insert using the picture command. These are clip art, pictures from files, from scanner or camera, a new drawing, auto shapes, word art, organization chart, and chart.
- Diagram: - This command will allow you to insert organization charts, cycle, radial, pyramid, Venn, and target diagrams.
- Text box: - This is a movable and re-sizable text container. It is useful when you want to set your text into different orientations.
Some Useful Links
- Introduction to Microsoft Word - Using the Cut, Copy, and Paste Tools
After typing a document, we can transfer data or produce many copies by using the copy, cut and paste commands. In this hub, we are going to explore the use of these important tools.
- Introduction to Computers
There are many people who still don't know much about computers. This introduction to computers tutorials is intended for them, it can also be useful to those who want to enhance their skills. For the beginner there is a lot to know about what is a c
The Insert Object Command
- File: - This can be used to load a file you had already prepared and saved it somewhere on your computer.
- Object: - The insert object command can be used to insert various objects into your document.
- Bookmark: - This command is used to identify or mark a location or selection of text that you would like to mark for future reference.
- Hyperlink: - Use this command to create a hyperlink (a coloured and underlined text or graphic that when clicked, takes you to a file, a web page or any other location).
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Patrick Kamau