Max holds a B.S. in mass communications from SIU, an M.A. in communications from U of I, and is pursuing an MBA from Webster University.
Common problems with the Toshiba Thrive tablet PC include issues charging the device, problems getting the device to turn on, the device not charging, the tablet freezing and more. Use troubleshooting to work through the various causes of your specific problem so you can resolve it on your own without having to send it back to Toshiba or have a professional repair person look at it.
Toshiba Thrive Charging Problems
- If the Toshiba Thrive is connected to an AC adapter and isn't charging, the outlet may not be turned on, and if it is turned on, it may be defective. Try connecting the Toshiba tablet to a different AC adapter for charging to see if the outlet is the problem.
- Look the power cable over for damage, such as cuts, frays, ties in the line or other physical damage that could result in the tablet not working. If you do find physical damage, the cable likely needs to be replaced.
- If you're using a third-party charging cable, this is likely the source of your problem. Only use charging cables manufactured by or endorsed by Toshiba for your particular tablet.
- Remove the battery cover on the back of the device and make sure the battery is placed correctly in the device.
- If the battery isn't holding a charge for as long as it seems like it did before, let the battery drain completely and then let the battery charge until it indicates a full charge.
Toshiba Thrive Won't Power On
The battery in the device may be dead. Try resolving this problem, connect the Toshiba Thrive to a power supply for charging or remove the existing battery from the tablet and insert a charged battery. If the battery in the device was completely drained, connect the device to a power supply and wait at least 15 minutes before trying to power the device on while it's connected to a power supply. Leave the device connected to AC power for at least an hour to charge if the battery is dead so that it will have a decent charge.
Toshiba Thrive is Frozen or Locked
Hold the "Power" button down for roughly five seconds to force the Toshiba Thrive tablet to shut down. This closes all open applications, which most likely resulted in the device freezing or locking up. If this continues happening to your Toshiba Thrive, consider updating the device's software or restoring the device to its factory settings. Alternatively, if you recently installed a new app or made some other change to your device, uninstall the app or reverse the change to the best of your ability.
Other Technology Articles!
- Troubleshoot Netflix Problems on Wii
Are you tired of connection problems with Netflix on your Nintendo Wii? Is Netflix content choppy or blurry on the Wii? Check this article to learn how you can troubleshoot your problem to get the best quality streaming Netflix content possible.
Toshiba Thrive Wi-Fi Problem
- If the Toshiba Thrive isn't accepting the Wi-Fi password you're entering, make sure you're entering the correct password or have selected the correct Wi-Fi network. Also, be aware that your password may be case sensitive, and you may be entering the correct characters but some of those characters may need to be specifically capitalized or lower cased.
- If you had a Wi-Fi signal and then lost it, you may have moved out of range of the Wi-Fi network. Try moving closer to the wireless router before attempting to continue using the Wi-Fi connection.
- Turn off devices that send and receive wireless signals, such as baby monitors, cordless phones, radios, cordless power tools and more. These devices can interfere with your Toshiba Thrive's ability to receive a wireless connection, even if you're within range. Also, large objects (especially metal objects) between your Toshiba Thrive and the wireless router can significantly weaken the signal.
No Sound on Toshiba Thrive
Ensure that the volume is turned up and the device isn't muted. Alternatively, make sure that any connected headphones are pushed all the way into the headphone jack. If the audio is turned up and the headphones are securely connected, try plugging a different set of headphones in to the Toshiba Thrive. If the newly connected headphones work, then there's a problem with the headphones that were previously connected.
mary on September 03, 2020:
I can;t turn my tablet off?
Mary on April 23, 2019:
My toshiba thrive keeps showing a message when I go to most websites, stating "A secure connection could not be established".
I have not used it for a while, what is the best browser to use or do I need to update my browser???
Sheryl S on September 27, 2015:
My thrive comes on to Toshiba Leading Innovation but won't go any firther
Alex on June 29, 2015:
My thrive won't reset. I've tried everything and nothing please help
aylarue on June 12, 2014:
I have a problem with my Toshiba Thrive...It's at 9% charge and it plugs up, shows lightening bolt but won't charge no more than 9%. Can anybody help me?
Charlie on September 02, 2013:
My Thrive is 22 months old and gets occasional use. The battery is stuck at 4% and when I plug it in, it works fine but the battery doesn't rise above 4% charge.
I always let the battery run through it's charge and then fully recharge. Could the battery be bad? Is there an easy way to check? Many Thanks.
kenny on July 25, 2013:
help my trive is 1 year old, and it has no life i brought a new battery and still no life help
MArinel on July 20, 2013:
can someone please help me.. My toshiba tabet won't upload photos on Facebook.. Why plsease help.. It always says Failed
Bob on January 12, 2013:
thrive wont boot up ! just get a vertical light show in middle of screen?
Jerremy willis on December 05, 2012:
ok so my toshiba thrive wont turn on or boot up i don't know the proper name for it but if i put in the battery the power light is white, and the battery oen is like a pink or red color even if i plug it in nothing happens what do i do
cdwatkins1091 on November 27, 2012:
When I turn my thrive on it will go to the loading screen but won't go past that. I did a factory reset and its still not working. Any suggestions?
cromwel on November 23, 2012:
what should I'do if my tablet can't run? when I turn it, only start'up screen will appear.. how can i fix it? help pls..
Eric on August 30, 2012:
My thrive has stopped displaying battery life percentage and now just displays a? I tried restarting it and plugging it in, but it hasn't helped. Any thoughts?
helen nicole on June 27, 2012:
My tablet has worked fine for 6 months and now it's stuck on vertical and won't let me even click on the option to change the on and off auto screen rotate. PLEASE HELP! :(
Dave on June 11, 2012:
I can't remove or delete the photos in one of my folders for that matter I can't remove the folder. Help please-
Max Dalton (author) from Greater St. Louis, Missouri on April 17, 2012:
Are you talking about apps you installed or pre-installed apps?
Oral Williams on April 17, 2012:
I need to know how to uninstall a programme from my Thrive
Max Dalton (author) from Greater St. Louis, Missouri on April 10, 2012:
The screen may be locked. Move the Screen Lock/Unlock switch on the side of the device to the Unlocked position, which is done by moving the switch closest to the icon where the padlock is unlocked.
Let me know if this doesn't work for you.
marvfire on April 10, 2012:
Hi my thrive wont turn when I turn it too the side what should I try?
alicia on April 01, 2012:
nevermind, hubby has "magic fingers" and just fixed it
Max Dalton (author) from Greater St. Louis, Missouri on March 27, 2012:
You may just have a defective device. A hard jolt or something else weird may have hit it, and now it needs to be replaced. For kicks, try holding the "Power" button down for about 30 seconds and see if anything happens. You have a situation where you should take it back to where you bought it and see how you go about getting it replaced.
maverick on March 24, 2012:
I believe I have a dead thrive...I bought it new n it lasted maybe a month now I get no led lights when I plug it in..it has been chargin for a few hrs n it shows no life..I purchased a brand new power supple n nothing...what else can it be?
Max Dalton (author) from Greater St. Louis, Missouri on March 21, 2012:
Try charging your device, as sometimes that brings it back to life. If that doesn't work, just let the battery run down and then try powering it on again. Also, try holding down the power button until the device turns off. Sometimes it doesn't work after five seconds and you need to hold it down a bit longer.
Let me know if those suggestions don't help and I'll see what else we can do.
jessie on March 16, 2012:
my tablet is still froze and I held the power button down for 5 seconds and still won't work what should I do???
Max Dalton (author) from Greater St. Louis, Missouri on March 11, 2012:
No joke, lol.
ionutpopa on March 11, 2012:
I hope Toshiba's new Excite 10 tablet will have less issues that last year's Thrive