Max holds a B.S. in mass communications from SIU, an M.A. in communications from U of I, and is pursuing an MBA from Webster University.
Common problems with the Roku 2 player can include the player's Internet connection dropping off, poor video quality, issues with channels and more. Most problems with the streaming media player can be resolved through troubleshooting without having to contact Roku's support hotline or exchange the device.
Cards Against Humanity: A Party Game for Horrible People
Roku 2 Won't Connect to Internet
- Try resetting the Roku 2 player. Sometimes, a minor glitch with the Roku operating system can result in the inability of your device to temporarily connect to the Internet. You can reset the device by doing the following:
- Disconnect the power cable from the Roku player.
- Wait for 15 seconds and then reconnect the power cable to the Roku 2 player. The Roku 2 player will power back on automatically, however, it will take a few minutes for the initial screen to appear.
- Select "Settings" at the player's home screen.
- Select "Network" and then select "Wireless."
- Select your wireless network from the list and then enter the password associated with the wireless network when prompted. If you don't see your wireless network in the list, the issue may actually be with your wireless router. Refer to the user manual that came with your wireless router for the proper procedure to reset it to its factory settings.
Unable to Connect to Specific Channel
- Try resetting your wireless router in accordance with the procedures outlined by the wireless router's manufacturer. You may just be experiencing issues with the wireless router.
- At the Roku 2 home screen, navigate through "Settings," "Network" and then "Network" again. Ensure that you're actually connected to a wireless network and that your Roku player didn't unexpectedly disconnect you from the wireless network. If it did and the network appears, reconnect to the network.
- It's possible that the channel you're trying to access is having problems and isn't capable of being accessed right now. Wait for 24 hours and then try accessing the channel later on.
Remote Won't Wake Up Roku
- Reduce the brightness on your TV. If your TV is too bright, it could deflect the signal being sent from your Roku remote before it makes it to the Roku box. If you don't want to reduce the brightness of your TV, reposition the Roku box further away from the TV.
- Ensure there are no objects between the Roku player and the remote control that could be blocking the signal. Additionally, move devices that send and receive a signal, such as baby monitors, cell phones, wireless routers and other similar devices away from your Roku player; these devices can prevent the Roku player from receiving the signal.
- Try replacing the batteries in the remote control that came with your Roku player.
If you notice that the audio on a selected channel is lower or higher than what you expected, this doesn't signal a problem with your Roku 2 player, but rather is an issue with the channel. Contact the channel provider to see if this is an issue they plan are aware of the issue and whether or not they plan on addressing it.
Rate Your Roku 2
Poor Video Output
If the video output isn't what you were expecting on your Roku 2 player, either the video quality on the channel is poor or the Roku 2 player is receiving a weak Internet signal. The most basic ways you can ensure you're Roku 2 player is receiving the best Internet signal possible from a wireless router is by position the player so it has a clear line of sight with the wireless router and also disconnecting other wireless-enabled devices that are connected to the Internet from the Internet. Alternatively, whether you're using a wired or a wireless connection, you can always contact your Internet service provider and look into boosting your Internet speed.
Shonda on January 31, 2020:
I have no sound at all
Tony on November 12, 2019:
I have an X r Roku . I can’t open the channel store.
I had amazon prime but it has disappeared, and I haven’t
Been able to get it back
Tony knuckles on November 09, 2019:
Have a model sr Roku,
When I op en the channel store it shows not available
Arlene Holley on May 25, 2018:
Can’t get text off screen when watching a movie - already tried pressing the star button before program starts , after , at the beginning of show it’s very irritating ! Please help
Nancystrohs@comcast.net on October 04, 2017:
My Roku screen won't disappear when I get to Netflix! It takes a few minutes to go away