Many people are searching "free online storage services" on Google because they want to store or share their files on the cloud, thanks for stopping by this article, here I will list many top popular cloud drive services, there will be one you prefer to use.
If you register all the cloud services I list below, you will easily get more than 1 TB (1000 GB) free online storage without spending a dime, enough space for you to use. My suggestion is choosing some you prefer to register.
What is online storage?
Image that tomorrow I will be away for a while on a business trip, but I still have a work report to write, but I do not have enough time to finish it today, what should I do?
I just upload the files to my cloud storage account, so that I can continue writing my report when I have time at any places as long as I have internet connection.
So this is the function of online storage services. Normally, there are three main functions of the online storage service, they are:
- Storing or backup, which means that after your uploading files to the online storage, you can access and download them from different places at different time as long as your devices are connected to the Internet.
- Synchronizing, for example, if you don't have enough time to finish an article at your work time, sync it on the web drive, then you can continue writing it at home in the next day.
- Sharing, you can share files on the cloud by drop people a link, in your control, they could read your words, or watch your videos by visiting the link they get from you.
What is a good free cloud drive service?
When we are choosing a free online storage, we need to make sure it is a good one so that we can trust it, right?
A good free online drive service should be:
- It is famous as a big company such as Google, Dropbox and Box.com, so that we can trust it.
- Its speed is both fast and steady.
- Security, because most people are caring about their files stored on the web.
- It is simple to use.
The list of many top free online storage providers
- Box Cloud Storage. Box.com is one excellent cloud provider from California, box mainly focuses on online file sharing and content management service for businesses. Box's 10 GB free storage and 250 MB max file size, just enough generous to personal. Also, your Box apps are protected with Passcode Lock.
- CloudMe. CloudMe free plan storage is between 3-19 GB, also you will enjoy these special feathers - European Storage, Privacy of Sweden.
- Degoo Cloud Backup. Degoo is famous for its 100 GB free secure online storage, which is very generous, and all popular platforms are supported.
- Dropbox. Dropbox is rather famous and excellent in the web cloud storage area, a lot of people say Dropbox is the best free/paid web cloud drive solution. Dropbox free plan is 2 GB, you also can increase your storage by inviting friends or using mobile and desk Dropbox apps. If you are a student or teacher, you also have Dropbox education bonus...
- Google Drive. Google drive is powered by Google, with up to 15 GB free web space, which is shared across Gmail, Google plus photos, blogger and other Google products. With Google Drive, you can edit all your Google Docs (Word), Google Sheet (Excel) and Google Slide (PowerPoint) on the cloud, very convenient.
- iCloud Drive (Apple's cloud service). iCloud is the Web drive service from Apple which is one of the top wealthy companies on this planet. iCloud is both secure and fast, 5 GB free BUT you can not use iCloud service if you are not one Apple consumer.
- Mega. Mega is a cloud drive from New Zealand. Its free storage is up to 50 GB, I have to say it is so gorgeous, if your friends also use Mega cloud, then you can chat with them through mega chat. And mobile app is with passcode lock. I think Mega Cloud is Good.
- OneDrive (also known as Microsoft SkyDrive). OneDrive is a free online storage and cloud service from Microsoft - another Internet leader like Google. Same as Google Drive, OneDrive Free plan is 15 GB per account. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook mail are better connected with your Onedrive, which really is effectively collaborated.
- pCloud. pCloud is a young cloud drive company registered in Switzerland, who aims to create a huge impact on the rapidly growing IT market. It is an online drive I am using on my iPhone in recent time, pCloud's speed is fast, simple to use, the single file size is not limited, also have auto-upload and passcode lock functions.
- iDrive. iDrive provides 5 GB free cloud drive for you, most popular platforms are supported. Honestly, I have not used it, but it is another choice, isn't it?
- OpenDrive. OpenDrive also provides 5 GB free online storage, 100 MB max per file, the difference of OpenDrive is that it supports direct links to your files. OpenDrive is a good choice for you to choose.
- Zoho free cloud storage. Zoho is famous for its email service, it also provides 5 GB free cloud storage, with the powerful built-in editor, you store your data in the cloud, so you can stop carrying a flash drive around.
- MediaFire. Its free space is 10 GB, and like Dropbox, you can get up to 50 GB free by referring your friends and installing mobile/desktop app. The free edition is ads-supported.
- Yandex. Yandex is known as Russian Google Drive, free space is 10 GB, there are more and more people are using Yandex to store and share their files on the web.
- hubiC. hubiC is from French, free storage is 25 GB, that is generous. Anyway, it is another choice for us to store data online.
- elephantdrive. Free space is 2 GB, per file max 100 MB, with no ads, elephantdrive looks good.
- mydrive.ch. mydrive ch is located in Switzerland, your files are protected by Swiss law, which is the specialty. Free edition only is 100 MB
- Amazon Cloud Drive. Amazon also provides free online storage, 5 GB for your videos, music and other files, and unlimited storage for your photos, popular platforms are supported.
- Mozy. Mozy was closed in 2019. Mozy is mainly focused on files back-up. 2 GB free, you can earn additional 256 MB by referring each friend. By the way, Mozy is part of Dell EMC (a computer data storage company), and DELL is a famous computer brand, I mean that probably we can trust it.
- Sync. Sync is fully encrypted, even Reddit is using their cloud service, it offers 5 GB secure storage, it is a good one.
Do you like this list about the free cloud drive services?
- OziBox. 10 GB storage free, there are no advertisements with OziBox, that is fresh. I will use it.
- FlipDrive. FlipDrive's basic plan is 10 GB free storage, the max file size is 25 MB, just enough space for your photos.
- Jumpshare. Jumpshare is fast, it supports over 200 file formats just in your web browser, its free plan is 2 GB.
- Tencent weiyun. Tencent is the largest social internet company in China, Tencent weiyun offers 10 GB free web storage, and foreigners also can register, if you have a QQ account (which is the most popular web chat tool in China), you already have a weiyun account because that both QQ and weiyun are Tencent's services, something likes Gmail and Google Drive.
- Evernote. Evernote actually is a notebook online, but you can take it as your tiny online drive - keep your photos, words, and voices on Evernote, and check it at any time.
- Google photos. If you like taking photos, Google photos is the right one for you, and it is very smart, for example: when you input 'flower' in the search box, it will show you all the flower photos you upload to google photos, it does not matter you name the photos or not.
- BlackBlaze. Its founder began blackblaze in year 2007 to backup his friend's computer online, now blackblaze has grown up as a excellent cloud company. blackblaze also provides free online storage service - B2 CLOUD STORAGE which offers you 10 GB free online space.
Which is the best cloud storage?
Many people are searching on google about this: which is the best free online storage services - Google Drive, Microsoft Onedrive, Dropbox, Degoo, MEGA or others?
My answer is that different people may give you the different recommendations, actually, which is the better? It is up to you, you probably will find the right answer after using these services.
Two Q&A about free cloud service
- Q: Why do these cloud drive companies provide free services to its users?
- A: To earn more money. By offering free edition, the cloud companies want to draw more and more users, which will build a better brand for their web drive products. In a word, free is just the commercial strategy, earning money is the destination. Anyhow, they do give people much convenience by the benefits of free cloud drive.
- Q: How to get more than 100 GB free online storage from the Internet?
- A: I have shared so many good web storage providers with you! Most of them provide free cloud service, If you register all the accounts, I am sure you will easily get more than 100 GB. But please do not waste the hosting servers out of your needs, just like we should not waste water.
One essential tip
Anything on the web is not absolutely secure, because that Internet is about sharing, so do not upload files which contain your VERY important information to the cloud. Log in your cloud account with the web that you trust in, especially when you are in a strange web connection environment.
abhishek pandey on March 28, 2018:
hey tell me deggo is not safe online free cloud storge for any personal security purpose
Williemorris from Los Angeles, California on May 29, 2017:
Thank for the useful info! My favorite one is Google Drive, I save all of my pics and Google files there, too. I don't use Google Slides ( prefer https://www.templatemonster.com/powerpoint-templat... ), but I must admit they are not bad, too. The password from your Google account must be really strong, otherwise all of the data can be hacked and stolen!