Full-time blogging requires consistent efforts. You cannot succeed overnight. You have to stop procrastinating and rewire your brain to increase its productivity.
For every new action to convert into a habit, you require a minimum of 21 days. So, start now. In this article, I have shared the three most important strategies you should follow if you want to be a professional blogger.
#1: Create a Writing Routine
What is the main income-generating work that a blogger has to do regularly?
It is writing.
If you want to become a successful blogger, then you should develop the habit of writing regularly.
Though several other factors determine blogging success but writing a lot is one of the success factors common among all the bloggers.
You should have a writing routine.
Now, the same routine may not work for all of you. Different people require different routine.
- If you love to get up early in the morning, then wake up early and write.
- If you are a night person, then write when everybody has gone to bed.
- Also, you can have a separate writing routine for weekdays and the weekend.
- You can experiment with different timings and select which works best for you.
To be successful, try to write at least 1000 words per day. It might seem a daunting task in the beginning, but slowly it will develop into a habit. It is fine to make mistakes and do not publish what you have written. But write every day.
Before you start writing, find your niche and unique writing style. The words will flow automatically. Also, every time you do not need to get inspired to start writing. You can sit in front of a blank screen and type whatever comes to your mind. Many times thoughts come from your subconscious mind.
#2: Create a Writing Environment
Along with having a regular writing routine, you also need a good environment to write.
Select a place that is free from distractions to write daily. In this way, your writing will flourish.
There is no particular method to select a place to write. It depends on what resources you have and what works the best for you.
Try to have a separate space where no one can disturb you for a few hours.
Here are a few points that you can keep in mind while selecting a personal writing environment for yourself:
- Have a separate room where you can write daily.
- You can choose any lighting, either amber light or white light.
- Select an appropriate app or software for your writing, such as MS-word or Google docs. Google docs give you a 24x7 back up.
- Put your phone on silent and turn off all notifications to avoid getting distracted from calls and messages.
- Make sure to select timing when you do not expect anyone to visit your place.
- You can hear light or meditative music while writing. It will relax and keep your mind fresh. Or you can create a writing playlist that you can listen to while writing. But, keep in mind to have music without lyrics. The music will not make you feel lonely.
- Keep a glass of water near you. It will keep you hydrated and fresh.
- Also, make sure that you feel safe at your workplace if you want your creativity to flow. Take all measures to safeguard yourself, such as you can keep pepper spray with you.
- Select the working environment according to the current circumstances. You can opt for a familiar place or a new environment according to your choice.
- You can select a place where your productivity is the highest, such as a terrace, study room, park, or recording notes during a morning walk.
You have to experiment with several options before selecting what works best for you.
The main aim of blogging is to get the ideas out of your brain onto the paper.
#3: Constantly Feed Your Brain
As a blogger, you need a constant flow of thoughts and ideas.
But, from where do these ideas come?
Ideas will not come from your friends or family.
The new ideas and inputs will come from experts or thought leaders in your niche.
There are many sources, such as books, workshops, webinars, audiobooks, blogs, etc., from where you can get new ideas.
Without ideas, you cannot write.
It is not necessary to come up with a brand new idea every time. When you read or listen to something, it will always get mixed with your existing knowledge, and you will create something unique for your readers.
So, keep learning new stuff and find out what kind of source of knowledge works best for you.
Now you are aware of how to skyrocket your blogging journey. Writing or finding ideas once in a while will not work. You have to maintain a blogging calendar to write and think consistently.
In addition to the above-mentioned methods, if you have any other input to share, do let me know in the comments below.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Preeti Shah
Preeti Shah (author) from Delhi on December 27, 2020:
Amit Masih from Jaipur, India on December 27, 2020:
As a blogger, I have found it very fruitful. You have shared a couple of notable tips.