Roberto received his B.E. in mechanical engineering in 2013. He likes to keep up with the latest gadgets, apps, and all things tech.
As an engineering major and a big nerd, I am obsessed with tech gadgets, laptops and tablets. Every field has its own requirements and engineering is one of those that requires versatile and powerful computers. So, what kind of tablets and 2-in-1 laptops are useful for engineers and engineering graduates?
General Requirements for Tablets Fit for Engineering
From technical point of view, I recommend these specifications:
- A powerful processor (at least Intel i5) depending upon your requirements for it to be either a tablet/laptop hybrid or just a tablet
- At least 4 GB of RAM
- Hard disk drive capacity not important as long as you can install your required programs
- No hassle connectivity (Bluetooth, WiFi, USB ports) Support for using mouse (this is very important which will be discussed below)
- A universal operating system
Learning and working have become convenient through the proliferation of more sophisticated devices. Engineers and engineering students alike rely on tablets for accomplishing their tasks. Tablets or iPads ensure maximum productivity since they help in, taking notes preparing presentations, online meetings, browsing websites etc.
Civil engineers, mechanical engineers, Software engineers alike require tablets with certain features such as high performance, large storage capacity, high-quality display, long battery life, good camera, an efficient keyboard, and many others.
1. Samsung Galaxy S7 Mystic Silver
The tablet features Android 10 operating system, excellent PC performance, portability, an optional keyboard, and an expanded trackpad. Additionally, a redesigned S pen is available for taking notes and marking up papers. It has high display resolution (2560 ✕ 1600 Pixels) and a high-quality camera ( Main camera 13+5 Megapixels and front selfie camera 8 Megapixels). It has a battery life of up to 15 hours and efficient wireless wifi and Bluetooth connectivity. It has a RAM of 6GB, a storage capacity of 128 GB, 11 inches screen size, and a GPU (Adreno 650). It is available on Amazon for shipping and purchase.
- It has a high-quality display resolution.
-It has high performance with a powerful processor ( Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+).
-It has an SD card slot.
- Long battery life after charging.
- It could get damaged if you drop it, such as the screen breaking and other malfunctions.
- While the audio is powerful and punchy, it lacks100% clarity.
2. Microsoft Surface Tablet Go 2
The Microsoft Surface Go2 might be the right choice for you if you do not want a large screen. The screen size is 10.51 inches, and the display resolution is just perfect for your eyesight (1920 x ✕1280 pixels). It carries a unique design, and the front and the Main camera are high quality ( 5 megapixels and 8 megapixels, respectively). It is among the best tablets for engineers, with a RAM of 8GB and a storage space of 128 GB. The processor ( Intel core M3- 8100y) makes it one of the best tablets for engineers due to its processing speed and power. You can purchase it on Amazon or your local store.
- It is very affordable and with a unique design.
- It has a headphone jack, USB-C portal, and an SD card slot.
- The battery life is limited, and it could be inconvenient for an extended period of time. However, it's perfectly budget friendly. Check today's price.
3. Microsoft Surface Book 3
Unlike other tablets, the tablet has a huge display (15 inches), massive RAM size of around 32 GB, and storage space of 1TB. You might think that the size brings about some weight, but the Microsoft Surface Book 3 is incredibly portable. The display resolution is high (3240 ✕ 2160 pixels), making it ideal for engineering students.
- It has plenty of storage and RAM
- There is a full-size SD card slot, a USB -A, and a USB-C port.
- At prices starting $1400, it is expensive.
Do you like Surface Pro tablets?
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.