After working as an engineer, I enjoy reading and writing to help others get more out of their time in their pursuit of personal development
Shrink Picture and File Size
Even our simple digital cameras are now capable of producing high-resolution images. This is great for quality but if we need to post photos on sites such as Blog sites, social media sites or to create avatars, then we need to resize the images and photos. You also need to shrink the picture and file size for email.
Shrink Images Before Posting Online
Why? Because higher resolution images or photos are big files and will take a longer time for your web page to load.
So, how to resize photos and shrink images without losing quality?
Resize Image Free Online
There are several image resizing photo editors available including Photoshop. If you want simple and user-friendly software then Photoshop is not for you.
No Need to Download Sofware
Shrink-Pictures photo editor is a FREE online photo resizer that you can resize images and photos without having to download the software.
But before I describe how to go about doing it, let's look at some of the definitions.
What are Pixels, Resolution, File Size, Physical Size?
Let's first understand the terms used in relation to resizing images or photos.
What are Pixels and Resolution
Pixels are related to your photo resolution. A higher pixel number denotes photo with a better resolution or clarity. But a higher pixel also means a bigger file size. PHOTO 1 is the original photo at 3200pixels. PHOTO 2 & 3 were resized to 760pixels and 350pixels respectively.
What is File Size?
If your camera is capable of taking photos up to 10MP, (MP is short for megapixels) then your photo file size can be 10MP. The higher the file size, the more memory space it takes. It will also take longer to load your page. So you want to resize this 10MP photo to more manageable file size, thus people do not wait very long for the page and photo to be loaded.
What is a manageable file size? You want to consider about 200k or lower, depending on the number of photos you have for that article.
Examples of how a resized photo looks like: PHOTO 1 is the original photo with a 1940kb (1.9MB) file size. PHOTO 2 & 3 were resized to 109kb and 19.7kb respectively.
What is Physical Size?
Most pre-built websites or blog publishing applications like WordPress will have already fixed the 'space' for your image or photos. This space or physical size will determine the best picture size you can use. If space can take say, 400 pixels and your photo are 500 pixels, then the photo will push the sidebar, and this changes and mess up your web page.
Resize Image for Dummies
With all these confusing terms and jargon, how can I resize my images and photos without knowing much about the technicalities?
This is where Shrink Pictures come in handy.
It has tools that make it easy for you to use. You just decide how small you want to resize your images and photos and click on that button. No technical know-how and IT savvy are required.
Resize Image Online
It will also resize images online for free, without having to download any program to your computer.
How to Resize Images and Photos Online with Shrink Pictures Resizer
To resize or make your images smaller, go to the Shrink Pictures website, then
- Click on the 'Choose Picture or Photo to Shrink' button, to select the photo that you want to resize, from your computer.
- Then decide what size you what to shrink the image to. You can either select in terms of Pixels or Percentage of Reduction. You can also enter your own customized pixel size, instead of using the pre-set size. If you prefer this option, then in the box provided, enter your desired pixel size.
- If you want to change your image to gray-scale (black and white) or sepia tone, you can also opt for this, in the section provided.
- Lastly, select the resize image quality by clicking on the box.
- Then click the RESIZE button.
Information on Your Resized Photos
It takes a few seconds for the resized image to appear on your screen. Once this happens, you will also get information on the original image size, the newly resized image, size in terms of width and height, and pixel. You even get Exif Info, i.e. information relating to your photo - what camera was used, date and time taken, resolution, focal length, exposure, ISO equivalent, etc.
Download or Save the Resized Image
If you are happy with the resized image, either click the Download button OR Right Click on the resized image and 'Saved As' to your computer.
Voila! You are done and you can now use the resized image for your websites or email etc.
NOTE: Your resized image will be kept in Shrink Pictures temporary folder for only 2 hours. If you don't download and saved it to your computer you lose this resized image. If this happens, don't worry, you can always redo it. It's so simple to resize images and photos online with Shrink Pictures software.
Pros and Cons of Using Shrink Pictures Photo Resizer
The Pros and Cons of Using Shrink Pictures Photo Resizer are:
- Can resize images and photos online. You can access this program where there's an internet connection. Great when you are away from home, especially when on holiday.
- Don't have to download software to your PC.
- Easy to use, no need to be technically savvy.
- Can resize and publish your image directly to Facebook using Facebook Image Resizer.
- You can also create Avatar.
- A video tutorial is available to guide you in case you have difficulty resizing your image and photos.
- If you need to resize several photos at once, you can't use this program. Instead, they recommend using other software i.e. BatchPhoto, a paid software.
My Other Photo Editing Articles
You can read my articles on simple to use Photo Editing apps, with tutorials and sample photos on how to achieve the results, by following the link below:
- BeFunky Photo Editor to Create Great Photos for Your Hubs, Blogs, or Websites - Review - Tutorial on how to create many versions of BLACK and WHITE images
- 8 BeFunky Photo Effects Tutorial to Create Cool Pictures for Your Hubs, Blogs, or Websites - Part 2 - Tutorial on how to create COLOR photo effects
- Pixlr-o-Matic for Vintage & Retro Photo Effects - Free On-Line Photo Editor - Review - Tutorial on how to create VINTAGE & RETRO photo effects
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Mazlan A
Mazlan A (author) from Malaysia on April 13, 2012:
kidscrafts, thanks for dropping by. I am glad you noticed my comment on the 'cons'. Take care and enjoy using the software.
kidscrafts from Ottawa, Canada on April 02, 2012:
Thank you very much for all the detailed information about this software! I definitely will take note of the "cons" as I work mainly for educators and children :-)
Mazlan A (author) from Malaysia on March 29, 2012:
Hi sweetguide. Give it a try. It is free and easy to use.
sweetguide from River side on March 29, 2012:
This is the first time I'm hear about Shrink Pictures website. seems to be a Useful website.