Microsoft Office is a very powerful suite of applications. The most popular of the programs included in the package are Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. However, as with much of today’s modern software, the use of these programs can often be complicated and thus most users will only scratch the surface of the capabilities.
Luckily for these users Office has a selection of templates that will assist even the novice in producing decent spreadsheets and documents. One of the most used template classes of all is the calendar. Both Excel and Word have a variety of excellent calendars that are useful for the student, the office or the home.
For the instructions below I will be focusing on using Microsoft Word calendar templates to create a variety of different calendar styles. Using Microsoft Excel calendar templates is very similar.
Why use Microsoft Office instead of a free Office Suite?
Microsoft Office 2010 was used to create the calendars in this article. While there are free office suites available, the combination of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and the other applications within the suite make Office the best choice for home and the office. It is intuitive to use, powerful and has hundreds of templates to suit your needs.
Choosing a Calendar template in Microsoft Office.
The process of choosing a template in Microsoft Office is very simple. The instructions below demonstrate how to do this in Word:
- Launch Microsoft Word
- Click File -> New
- You will be presented with the main template page - you can simply open a new blank document or you can use one of the templates available.
- Double Click Calendars under the Office.com templates. This opens up additional folders containing the different types of calendar templates available.
- Double Click the folder of your choice. For this example I chose 2012 calendars.
- Single click on any of the templates.Before choosing the template you can single click the template and see more detailed information on the right. In many cases the template is provided by Microsoft and therefore can be trusted, however in some cases there are third parties involved and you should always be sure that they are a trusted partner of Microsoft.
- Double click the template that you want to use. For this example I used the 2012 One Page Family Photo Calendar.
- The template will now download - usually each template has a small set of instructions explaining how to edit the calendar.
Editing a Calendar template in Microsoft Office.
Now that you have chosen the template you wish to use you can edit it. In most cases you are provided with brief instructions. The process is relatively simple. Using the template downloaded above:
- Click on a picture. This will allow you to replace the picture or delete it using the additional menu options. A small dialogue box appears above the picture with instructions to click the icon on the right.
- Click on the icon on the right. This will open the Insert Picture dialogue box - you can browse to your picture and click Insert. Repeat this process for all the pictures. Note, the pictures may not be the right size when inserted; use the square boxes around the picture to re-size it accordingly.
- Click on the text. This will allow you to delete or insert your own text.
You have completed a calendar using a simple template from Microsoft Word.
Official Microsoft Office Calendar Templates
Other Microsoft Office Calendar Templates
The calendars below were all created using Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel.
Note: all pictures used in this article were created by SimeyC.