Reggie is a computer science graduate and now working as a web developer. Love cars and sports.
Many of us now are using google spreadsheet for recording data because it can be accessed anywhere and shareable with other people. We can also collaborate with other people, which you gave access to, if you need to work on the same file.
However, many people are also having a problem with combining the rows especially when you are working with other people where one is assigned to enter data for the other columns and another one is assigned to enter data for the other columns.
Check out the picture below:
As we can see in the picture, John was assigned to enter data for the “Date” and ”Where” columns, while Benjamin was assigned to enter for the “Warranty”, “Price” and “Condition” columns, and Christian for “Model”,”Serial No.” and “Notes” columns.
The problem: How are we going to combine all data to make it look like this (see picture below)?
Install PowerTools add-on to your google sheet.
1. Go to Add-ons menu from google sheet menu bar and select Get Add-ons.
2. Search “Power Tools” and click on the “Free” button on the same row with “Power Tools” and choose your Google account.
3. Click the “Allow” button on the next window and wait for the installation to finish.
After the installation, Power Tools should be available from the “Add-ons” menu.
How to use the tool to combine rows?
1. Open “PowerTools” add-on from the Add-ons menu, select PowerTools and then select “Merge & Combine”.
2. Click “Combine Rows” from the Power Tools window on your right.
3. Select the range with your data and click “Next” button.
Tick the “Create a backup copy of the sheet” checkbox if you want to create a backup of the sheet before the combine process starts.
4. Choose key columns with duplicate records and click the “Next” button.
5. Choose columns with values to merge. Choose “Merge” from the “Actions” column and select [Space] from the “Delimiter/function” column. Click the “Finish” button to start the process.
6. After the process, you will see the summary of the result. Click the “Close” button and you will see the combined data.
I am not promoting this tool as I am not connected with them. I just like to share my personal experience at the office with my team.
This might be helpful for you when you encounter this kind of situation in your office.