Max holds a B.S. in mass communications from SIU, an M.A. in communications from U of I, and is pursuing an MBA from Webster University.
Sharp occasionally releases firmware updates for its LCD TVs to improve existing functionality or add new functionality, or remove or add Internet applications. You can update your TV's firmware over a connected Wi-Fi network, or by downloading the firmware update to a USB flash drive and then connecting that flash drive to your computer. Either way, installing the firmware update doesn't take more than 20 minutes and is an easy process.
How to Update Sharp TV Firmware Via Wi-Fi
- Press the "Menu" button on the remote control that came with the Sharp TV. The Menu dialog box appears on the screen.
- Press the left and right arrows on either side of the Enter button to navigate through the menu. Use these buttons to highlight "Information."
- Press the up and down buttons around the Enter button to highlight "Software Update," then press "Enter."
- Enter the 4-digit secret number you set up on your device when prompted. If you forgot the secret number, you can clear it by holding down the "Channel Up" and "Volume Up" buttons at the same time until a dialog box appears on the screen that says "The secret number is" and then has four blank boxes. Enter your new 4-digit secret number. You'll likely have to navigate back to the Software Update section and enter your new secret number before you can proceed.
- Highlight "Network Update" and then press "Enter." A dialog box appears that says the Sharp TV is looking for updates. If a new version of your TV's software is found, you'll be given the option of installing that update.
- Select "Yes" proceed with installing the update. A dialog box appears that will initially say "Downloading the latest software" at the top of it and will feature a progress bar on the lower half. After the firmware update is downloaded, the message at the top of the dialog box changes to read "Updating to the latest software." After the firmware update is successfully installed on the Sharp TV, a message appears on the top half of the dialog box that says the firmware update is complete. Do not turn the TV off or try viewing other content on the TV at this time. Instead, you must wait roughly five seconds, at which time the TV will automatically restart, finalizing the firmware installation. After the TV restarts, you can resume using it as you normally would.
More Technology Articles!
- How to Troubleshoot Kindle Fire Problems
Common problems with the Kindle Fire include a frozen screen, difficulties receiving converted files, issues with your computer recognizing the device and battery problems. Read this article to learn how to try resolving these problems and more.
- How to Improve Your Wireless Signal
Is your wireless signal constantly weak and doesn't reach as far as you feel like it should? Read this article to find out several things you can do to improve your wireless signal.
How to Update Sharp TV Firmware Via Flash Drive
- Open your Web browser and navigate to the Sharp Customer Support page, available here.
- Click the drop-down arrow to the right of Select a Resource to Download and then select "Firmware."
- Click the drop-down arrow to the right of Select a Product Category and then select "LCD TVs."
- Click the drop-down box to the right of Enter Product Model and then select your model of Sharp LCD TV.
- Click the "Search" button directly beneath the drop-down boxes. The support page appears for your specific Sharp TV.
- Scroll down to the bottom part of the support page for your Sharp TV and look beneath Search Results. Click the name of the most recent available firmware update and then save the firmware update file to your computer.
- Follow Steps 1 through 4 in the How to Update Sharp TV Firmware Via Wi-Fi.
- Select "USB Update." A dialog box appears prompting you to connect the USB flash drive to your computer.
- Connect a blank USB flash drive to an available USB port on your computer. If the drive isn't blank, format it as a FAT32 drive.
- Navigate to the folder where you saved the firmware update file and then extract the contents of the firmware update file to the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer after the firmware update file has been successfully copied to it and then connect the USB flash drive to an available USB port on your Sharp TV and then select "OK" on the Sharp TV screen. A message appears in the dialog box that the USB flash drive is being checked. After the firmware update is detected on the USB flash drive, a message will appear saying an update has been detected.
- Select "Yes" to update your Sharp TV. The firmware update begins installing. After the firmware update is finished installing, a message appears that says the firmware update is finished installing.
- Remove the USB flash drive from your Sharp TV and then select "OK." Restart your TV after 10 seconds if it doesn't restart automatically. After the TV successfully restarts, the firmware update is complete and you can resume using the TV.
Rate Your Sharp TV
Titia on January 09, 2015:
Thanks guys, I just about lost it lokniog for this.