Max holds a B.S. in mass communications from SIU, an M.A. in communications from U of I, and is pursuing an MBA from Webster University.
Magnavox releases firmware updates for its TVs to resolve problems that were discovered after the TVs left the factory. Examples of problems that firmware updates from Magnavox have previous addressed include TVs turning on and off randomly, the TV's image flickering and compatibility issues with a number of external devices. All that's required to update your Magnavox TV is a FAT32-formatted USB flash drive and a computer with an Internet connection. The process generally doesn't take more than 30 minutes.
How to Update Magnavox TV Firmware
- Click here to open the Magnavox Support Download Web page.
- Enter the model number of your Magnavox TV in the Search field and then press "Enter." A Web page with downloads pertaining to your specific TV appears.
- Scroll down the Web page until you get to the Firmware section. If there is no Firmware section, there is no firmware update available for your Magnavox TV.
- Click the "Download" icon beneath File Name associated with the firmware update you want to download. Save the ZIP file to your computer.
- Navigate to where the ZIP file is located on your computer. By default, this is typically the Downloads folder within the My Documents folder. However, depending on how your computer is set up, it could be somewhere else.
- Extract the contents of the firmware update ZIP file, which will be a lone ECC file that will vary in size.
- Connect a formatted FAT32 USB flash drive to a USB port on your computer and then copy the ECC firmware update file onto the USB flash drive.
- Right-click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the Notification Area on your computer and then click "Safely Remove Hardware." If there are multiple USB devices connected to your computer, a list of connected devices may appear. Select the name of your USB flash drive and then click "Stop." A message appears in the Notification Area when it's safe to disconnect your USB flash drive from the computer.
- Unplug the power cable extending from your Magnavox TV from the AC outlet it's connected to and then connect the USB flash drive containing the firmware update to the USB port on your TV. Typically, the USB port is located along the left edge of the TV.
- Reconnect the Magnavox TV's power cable back into the AC outlet. Wait for 30 seconds to see if the TV powers itself on and begins the update automatically. If the TV doesn't power itself on automatically, turn the TV on. The firmware update will be detected after you power the TV on and the Software Upgrade window appears on the screen. At the bottom of the Software Upgrade window will be a progress bar displaying the progress of the update.
- Disconnect the USB flash drive after a message appears inside of the Software Upgrade dialog box notifying you that the firmware update has been successfully installed.
- Power down the Magnavox TV, disconnect the TV's power cable and then wait for 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cable to the AC outlet and then turn the Magnavox TV back on. The firmware update process is complete and you can continue using your TV as you would regularly.
Rate Your Magnavox TV
Joe on March 13, 2018:
Unit keeps screwing up channels and requiring disconnect from power and rescan. Unit started problem during warranty but target said its not our problem and work and school prevented contacting magnavox so I lived with it. This last week about 4 times had to jump thru hoop. Woke up to a screen with code screaming across it so its time to fix hopefully with the firmware update!!! Maybe????