Patrick, a computer technician, is a dedicated writer who wishes to make the world better by informing individuals who seek more knowledge.
How to Renew Your Driving License Online
We have to appreciate that Kenya is moving pretty fast towards computerization or digitization as many are saying.
Most of the transactions that used to take days are now being processed within minutes. It is now possible to renew your driving license online.
This article details how to renew your driving license online from the start point to the finishing point.
It is an easy thing for most people with computer knowledge while it might be a challenge to some.
Well, you do not have to worry because you can visit any cyber café for assistance.
A Note About the New TIMS/NTSA Portal
Most of the Driving license services have been migrated to the NTSA/TIMS portal. The only remaining service you can access here is for one year driving license renewal.
Access the new NTSA/TIMS portal to get the services you want such application of the smart driving license.
Driving License Renewal Online
Procedures to Follow When Renewing Your Driving License Online
- You will have to create an ecitizen account. Ecitizen is a portal for you to access information and services provided by the Kenyan Government.
- Once the ecitizen portal opens, you will click on the register now button to create your account. Choose the appropriate option among Citizens, Business, Residents, and Visitor.
- Enter your National Identification Number (ID No.) and your first name and then click on verify. Your details plucked from your ID will appear.
- The next stage is to register where you will input your email address and create a password that you will be using to log in to the ecitizen portal. Click on continue.
- The next stage is to verify your mobile phone number. A code will be sent to the provided phone number.
- Once your mobile phone number is verified, your account will be ready.
Verifying ID Number
National Transport and Safety Authority Services
Once you are done with the initial registration, the portal opens and shows you the available tasks you can undertake. These are:-
- National Transport and Safety Authority Services
- Office of The Attorney General and Department of Justice Services
- Department of Immigration Services
- Ministry of Land, Housing & Urban Development Services
Click on the National Transport and Safety Authority Services. Click on make application. On the next page, select driving licenses.
Mobile Number Verification
Driving License Renewal Online
Click on the One Year Driving License Renewal link where it is written “You can now renew your driver's license online, pay using mobile money services of your choice and print your renewal slip.
Click on apply now to proceed. Your driving licenses details will be populated. Proceed to the next screen to make your payment.
After making your payment, click on the validate link. On the new page that opens, click on the download link located on the top right-hand side. Download your one-year driving license receipt. Cut and stick it behind your driving license booklet.
How would you rate the eCitizens Portal?
Driving License Renewal Fees For 1 Year
Application fee (DL renewal 1 year)
Paying for Driving License Renewal Online
Driving License Renewal Fees For 3 Years
Application fee (DL renewal 3 years)
How to create an eCitizen account for Kenyan Citizens
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2015 Patrick Kamau
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on April 13, 2015:
Yes I agree with you Writer Fox that the process is much easier, I am sure these instructions will come in hardy to some people. Thanks for the visit and comment.
Writer Fox from the wadi near the little river on April 11, 2015:
Being able to renew a license online in Kenya makes the process so much easier. I'm glad you provided the instructions for people who have never done this before.