Patrick, a computer technician, is a dedicated writer who wishes to make the world better by informing individuals who seek more knowledge.
How to Link a Business on eCitizen Portal
The Companies Registry set up the digital Business Registration Services (BRS) in the year 2016. This service which is hosted on the E-citizen portal was launched with the sole purpose of going digital in terms of Business/Company name search and registration.
Thus, companies and business names registered using the BRS system does not need to be linked as they are done so automatically during the process of registration. However, businesses and companies registered before 2016, under the manual system, must be linked to the E-citizen portal. You must have an eCitizen account before continuing and if you do not have one, this the procedure of how to create an eCitizen account.
eCitizen Log in
The Requirements to Link to the eCitizen Portal Applies to:
- All companies, including public limited companies, companies limited by guarantee, foreign companies.
- Limited liability partnerships and
- Sole proprietorships.
It will no longer be possible to undertake the following at the Companies Registry if a company has not been linked to the portal:
- Carry out a company search
- Register for YAGPO certificate
- File changes such as changes to shareholding, directorship, registered office and share capital
- File annual or interim returns
Individual linking must have an Ecitizen account. The type of account could be either of the two:
- Kenyan citizens account – you will use your ID to log in
- Foreign Residents Account – you will use your Alien Card number. to log in
The individual linking the business to the eCitizen portal must be either of the following:
- A director of the entity
- A director-shareholder
- An appointed company secretary
What You Need In Order to Link a Business
You will require the following details to be able to complete the linking of a business process:
- Designation of the company officials (i.e. proprietor, director/director shareholder/shareholder/ company secretary),
- Telephone numbers of the directors and the company,
- Email addresses of the directors and the company,
- Postal address of the company and the company officials,
- Identification Numbers,
- Company building/Plot L.R. No.
- County, district, locality, and street where the company is located.
Choose Business Registration Services
Logging in Procedure
Here, it is assumed that you already have an E-citizen account and that you have your password ready.
- Access www.ecitizen.go.ke on your preferred browser
- Enter your username (which is either Id Number or email address) I prefer using the ID Number
- Enter your Password
- Click on log in
Upon successful login, you will find many services being offered on the E-citizen portal. Navigate to the Business Registration Services (BRS) option and click on it. At the top right-hand side, locate the option ‘Link a Business’ and do the following after it opens.
The Business Linking Procedure
- Enter the company/Business name or registration number in the text box
- Click Search
- If the entity has been found, select the name from the list
- Click on next, the name of the business, type of business and the business registration number will be reflected.
- Click on continue
- Click on Add to enter business/officials details and note that you may add as many officials as they currently exist in the company at that time.
- Select designation, ID type, ID Number, and first name, then click on look up. The person's details will appear automatically.
- Input all the other required business or official information like email, phone number, postal address, postal code, county, district, locality among others and once you are done, click on save.
- If you want to add another record, repeat the same procedure above.
- Once you are through entering the business/official details, click on save and continue button.
- The next step is to enter the registered office address. Input county, district, locality, the name of the building, street, floor, room number, postal address, mobile number and email of the said company or business name.
- Click on save and continue.
- Note that for Public limited companies you need not enter the shareholder's details, required only are the Directors, Director-Shareholder and company secretary.
- All fields marked with an asterisk (*) must be filled.
After submitting, you will be done with the linking procedure. Wait for the application to be approved. Once the application has been approved it will appear under Application history with the status reading complete. Click on personal tab or on the Businesses tab along the top of your screen. You should be able to see the business appearing under ‘My Business’ with the status Active. If you want to view the eBusiness account, click on the button View on the right of the Active status. You will be able to view the details of your company or business name.
How to get CR12 Form
It is easy to get a CR12 form for a company registered prior to the introduction of BRS system. You will only need an eCitizen account, the business name or registration number, and money to pay for the service. At the moment, the amount is Kenya Shillings 650.
Before you proceed, note that:
- The Official Search will give you a computer generated certificate.
- Only Verified companies will generate an automated official search.
- The Official Search is addressed to the Individual or Business logged in and making the application.
- Log in to your E-citizen account.
- Click on make application
- Click on the official search (Third party Applications) option.
- Search business name or registration number of the company
- Once the name has been found, select it and click next
- Enter the postal address and postal code and click save and continue
- Proceed to payment to complete the process.
That is all there is, thanks for reading.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2018 Patrick Kamau
oliver on May 08, 2020:
how do i add a new director director in a company whomha s been given 25 shares
sylvia on January 22, 2020:
LILIAN on January 08, 2020:
Hi just linked my company again had forgot i had linked before last 2017 now i have linked the company again then there was an error for sendig company;s certificate and have sennt,how long will it take to to me approved so as to finish the process of getting a CR12 ?
radiant on December 17, 2019:
how do i get cr 12 from ecitizen platform
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on December 02, 2019:
Sarah, you should start by linking the company.
sarah on November 29, 2019:
what if my company is not linked
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on November 26, 2019:
Thanks David. That is what I love about the computer world. There is always something new to learn for those who are willing.
David on November 26, 2019:
Thank you very much, the info is really helpful. I learn something new everyday!
godfrey on November 14, 2019:
how do i obtain a cr12 once the company is linked?
ann on November 13, 2019:
hey do i obtain cr12 after resignation of one of the director
Charles on October 22, 2019:
Hello how do I de-register a business
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on September 15, 2019:
Hello Linda, to get an updated CR12, log into your eCitizen account and click on make application. Select the OFFICIAL SEARCH (THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS) and proceed with the rest of the procedure. After paying, if you have filled company annual returns, you should get your CR12 instantly.
linda on September 15, 2019:
Hi Patrick, how do i get an updated CR12
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on September 14, 2019:
You are much welcome Racheal Munene, God bless you as you go about your daily tasks.
Racheal Munene on September 11, 2019:
Thanks It was really helpful,
Asante tu sana
Mike on April 23, 2019:
Thank you, this was helpful
Kaptain on February 18, 2019:
aggy on October 19, 2018:
thanks for this
what can i do if the linking remains popping linking in progress
paul on October 18, 2018:
Thanks for your forum/website very very helpful!!!
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on October 08, 2018:
Thanks, Rufas for the comment. It is unfortunate that sometimes the people responsible take longer than necessary to approve the process. However you can go personally to Sheria house and have the process completed without paying anything, but this should be after you have done the linking.
RUFAS on October 07, 2018:
How long does it take after linking for it to be approved?
But it was so helpful thanks
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on April 11, 2018:
Thanks, Larry Rankin for passing by and commenting. I am hopeful the article will help those in need.
Larry Rankin from Oklahoma on April 11, 2018: