I have a computer and use it frequently for work and entertainment. Therefore, periodically have to fix problems on my device.
So, I'd lost contact with an old friend, probably hadn't seen her in a year. Back when I lost contact with her she had had a family emergency, was in dire straits and was strapped financially. Consequently, worried about her one day, I texted her and she didn't answer. I figured something happened. It worried me more that she didn't answer but I didn't know what to do because she had moved around a lot back then when I'd lost contact with her due to her precarious circumstances so I had no idea where she was or what exactly had happened. I had to let it go. And I let it go for about a year probably.
Turns out I was right about things changing on her, in the sense she had a different phone number, I found out. I never learned the details but evidently somehow she no longer had her old phone; either lost it or couldn't pay for it.
Well, what happened was I stumbled on her Facebook profile in one of those "People You May Know" sections. I thought, "Oh, shoot! I do know her!"
So I messaged her on Facebook, asked if she'd like to get together, she said sure but she had moved out of town but came into my town frequently. And so on.
Then one day, about 8 months later, she had told me about how she had gotten in some kind of trouble about 8 months ago, and she even had to go to court to sort out the trouble she had gotten into. I don't need to go into detail about all that here, but all I want to say is that the conversation with her made me curious if I'd already reconnected with her at that point when she had gotten in trouble because I do remember her seeming pretty stressed out back then. So I thought, "Oh, I'll just look at my old Facebook messages to see when I first got back in contact with her."
Unfortunately, to scroll back through countless Facebook messages to get back to something you wrote 8 months ago is like rowing a slave ship. Exhausting and takes forever. I needed an alternative.
How to Go Back to Old Messages in Facebook Messenger
So, here is the solution that I discovered worked best for me in going back a significant amount of pages to get to your original message on Facebook Messenger.
- Log into your Facebook account.
- Open a new tab and in the address bar type: m.facebook.com and hit enter.
- Click on the message icon at the top of the screen.
- Go to the person you want that you had sent messages to and left-click to go to their messages.
- Right-click on "see older messages" and open it in a new tab.
- In the address bar get the timestamp by copying the number after "timestamp=". Of course you don't copy anything that is after the actual number.
- Open a new tab and go to: timestampconvert.com
- In timestampconvert.com, in the right column plug in the timestamp number into the box and click Convert to date.
- Now go to the left hand column and plug in a date, an estimate if you have to. Here I just guessed approximately when I figured I had first got back in contact with my friend.
- From there click on Convert to timestamp.
- In that same left hand column you will see numbers. One of them is labelled "Timestamp in milliseconds". Copy that number.
- Now go back to the tab where you have the messages to your friend opened up. In the address bar put the new timestamp number in, in place of the one that is in the address bar, the number that comes right after "timestamp=". Hit enter.
- The messages from the older date will now come up.
As it turns out I'd just gotten back in contact with my friend a few weeks before she'd run into trouble. Mystery solved.
I guess the main thing is I'm back in contact with an old friend.
Life is good.