Max holds a B.S. in mass communications from SIU, an M.A. in communications from U of I, and is pursuing an MBA from Webster University.
Plex gives users the ability to take content they are watching on one device and fling it to another device to continue watching it. For example, maybe you start watching a movie on your smartphone while your kids are watching their shows on the TV in the family room. After the kids go to bed you can open the Plex app on a number of supported devices, choose to fling the content you were watching to a Plex app on the larger TV, and pick up right where you left off on the larger screen. Another scenario is where you want to show off pictures on your Plex Media Server to a larger group. Using the Fling functionality, you can instantly display images from that library through another Plex app on a larger device that can be displayed to the larger group of people. Plex makes it possible to fling content to and from almost all devices Plex is available on, including Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, iOS, Android, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Roku, TiVo, Windows and Windows Phone, and more.
Process for Flinging Content to Another Plex Device
- Open the Plex app on your iOS or Android device, and start looking at or watching any piece of content in your Plex library. This can include looking at pictures, listening to music, or watching videos.
- Tap the "Fling" icon in the upper-right corner of your iOS or Android device. The Fling icon looks like a rectangle with a small wireless icon in the lower left corner. The Choose a Player screen appears on your smart device with a list of all devices that are either on the same network as your Plex Media Server that are actively running Plex apps, or devices that are capable of playing audio associated with your Plex content, such as Google Home.
- Tap the connected device running a Plex app that you want to fling the content to. A message appears on the iOS or Android device you're flinging content from asking if you want to continue playback from your current device on the device you selected.
- Tap "Yes." Any Plex content currently playing on that device will be turned off, and the content you opted to fling to the other device loads and starts playing on that device. The Choose a Player screen closes and you're returned to a screen that shows you an image of the content you're playing. Also, the Fling icon in your iOS or Android app will turn orange, which indicates that you are flinging content to a Plex app on another device. If you are watching a movie or listening to music, the movie or music will pick up playing on the new device where it left off on the iOS or Android device. If you fling a photo to the new device, it will start playing in a slideshow with other photos from that same library. Additionally, you can still use the volume and other controls in your iOS or Android app to control the content you are flinging to another device. For example, you can fast forward and rewind a movie, skip to the next song in an album, or move between pictures in your photo library.
How to Connect Google Drive to Plex Cloud
Display Remote Control
You can display a remote control on your iOS or Android device that will let you navigate the Plex app you're flinging content to. You can access the remote control using the following instructions.
- Tap the orange "Fling" icon. The Choose a Player window opens.
- Tap the icon with four arrows surrounding a circle that appears to the right of the player you're currently flinging your content to. A remote control appears on the screen. Alternatively, on Android devices you'll need to tap "Open Remote." The arrow buttons let you change the item currently selected, the circle in the center lets you select buttons, the Back button navigates to the previous screen, and the Home button takes you to the home screen in that Plex application.
- Tap the down-pointing arrow in the upper left corner at any time to close the remote control.
Process to Stop Flinging Content to Another Plex Device
- Tap the orange "Fling" icon in the upper right corner of the Plex app on your iOS or Android device. The Choose a Player screen appears.
- Tap the name of your iOS or Android device to stop flinging content to other devices. Alternatively, you can choose a new device to fling your content to. A message appears asking if you want to disconect from the device you're currently flinging content to.
- Tap "Yes." The content will immediately resume playing in the Plex app on your iOS or Android device. Additionally, the Fling icon in the upper right corner will change from orange to its original gray color.
The ability to fling content with Plex is only available to Plex Pass users, which does require a monthly subscription, or a lifetime subscription.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2017 Max Dalton