Patrick, a computer technician, is a dedicated writer who wishes to make the world better by informing individuals who seek more knowledge.
The iTax Login Option
How to Apply for Kra Tax Compliance Certificate Online
The KRA Tax Compliance Certificate is valid documentation issued by the Kenya Revenue Authority. It indicates that an individual or company has been paying taxes.
There are some places one cannot be able to transact without showing this vital document. For instance, those who intend to apply for tenders need to have this certificate for them to be able to proceed.
This article will show you the necessary steps to follow to be able to apply for KRA Tax Compliance Certificate online.
Itax login Option
Apply for Tax Compliance Certificate Online
There has been a rapid technological improvement in most government offices in Kenya. This has mostly been done to create transparency in these offices and eliminating corruption.
The digitization or rather computerization of services has also helped increase the efficiency of how business is done. Kenya Revenue Authority has also not been left behind.
In the early days, the application and issuing of the Tax Compliance Certificate were being done manually.
Now things have changed and you apply for a tax compliance certificate online. The KRA Tax Compliance Certificate is valid for one year after being issued.
Good news is that you get the certificate immediately after applying as long as you have no pending payments.
Before You Apply for Your TCC Make Sure You Have;
- Make sure you have a pin and if you do not have one, apply for KRA pin Using iTax portal.
- You have your iTax login password or you can reset your KRA pin password.
- Filed tax returns for the registered tax obligations.
- Paid the assessed taxes if any.
- Declared the correct income.
KRA Issues the Following Tax Compliance Certificates Upon Application:
- Tax Compliance Certificates for Taxpayers seeking tenders with Government Ministries and Institutions.
- Tax Compliance Certificates to employees leaving service nor seeking new job opportunities.
- Tax Compliance Certificates for taxpayers seeking liquor Licenses.
- Tax Compliance Certificates to Clearing and Forwarding Agents.
How to Apply For Your Tax Compliance Certificate Online
For you to apply for the TCC you must be a person or company that pays taxes and has got no arrears. If you have missed some months or years, you will not get issued with the certificate.
The best thing if you have not paid your taxes will be for you to check with your KRA office and sort out the issue. Alternatively, you can pay all your arrears to be on the good side.
For those who have paid their taxes, this is what you need to do to be issued with the certificate. It is an easy process.
Tax Compliance Certificate Link
Process of Applying for Tax Compliance Certificate
- Make sure you have upgraded your PIN from ITMS to iTax. You can check this hub on how to upgrade your pin to iTax.
- Log in to the iTax portal using your PIN and the password you created and the security stamp provided (in form of a math test) and log in.
- After logging in, head straight to the certificates link. Click on the Apply for Tax Compliance Certificate.
- A new window will open with the taxpayer Pin and name displayed. There is a text area where you will give the reason why you are applying for a Tax Compliance Certificate.
- Click on submit after typing the reason for your TCC application.
- If you have no arrears, your compliance certificate will be automatically generated.
- Click on the given link to download and print your certificate. The same certificate will also be sent to your email address.
Errors When Applying for Tax Compliance Certificate
Application for TCC is under process - If you get this error message, it means that you already have a compliance certificate.
To download it, click on 'Certificates' and click on Consult and Reprint Tax Compliance Certificate link. Do not bother filing any of the fields but click on consult.
A list with all the compliance certificates you have applied will appear. On the right-hand side, click on the 'Certificate Serial No' link to download.
Download Tax Compliance Certificate
You will not be able to apply for tax compliance if you have pending returns or pending payments. If you get this error, click on okay to view what is blocking you from applying the certificate.
Details of pending returns and the amount to be paid will be displayed. Since you cannot proceed with applying for tax compliance, it is wise to file the pending returns if any. If there are no pending returns, make payment for all outstanding debt.
How to Generate Eslip
How to Generate a Payment Slip
- Make sure you are logged into iTax.
- Point payments and click on payment registration.
- Click next on the page that appears and click okay to confirm you want to proceed.
- On the next page select the tax head you want to pay for. Select the tax subhead and for payment type select self-assessment.
- Liability details of selected obligated will be auto-populated below.
- Click on the radial button below the tax period.
- If you wish to pay the full amount click on add button. If you are making a partial payment, input the figure you want to pay on the right-hand side. Then click on add.
- Select the mode of payment and submit.
- You can download the payment slip and pay via bank or Mpesa. The instructions are given on the epayment slip on how to pay via Mpesa. Alternatively, you can click 'pay now via mobile money or credit card'. This option prompts you to input your pin when you are paying via Mpesa.
Tax Compliance Validity
- Tax Compliance Certificate is valid for twelve months only.
- Application for a TCC is done through the iTax platform and the certificate is sent to applicants' email address.
- You can check if your Tax Compliance Certificate is valid using the KRA M-Service App.
How to Apply for KRA iTax Tax Compliance Certificate - TCC
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2015 Patrick Kamau
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on August 12, 2018:
Wesly, there is an article I have written on how to apply for KRA pin. Check it and it will help you go through the process smoothly. If you are stuck, you can contact me by email.
Wesley kipkorir yegon on August 12, 2018:
I want to apply KRA pin
ALEX WAMBUA MUTTI on November 27, 2017:
KINDLY HELP ON HOW TO DO ONLINE REGISTRATION
Margaret on October 25, 2017:
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on January 22, 2017:
Hi Carol, I have written a hub on how to update your KRA Pin to Itax. If you cannot be able to follow the instructions, you can get help from most cyber cafes. Thanks
carol on January 18, 2017:
how do i update my pin please....where do i start i have no idea
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on January 04, 2017:
Yes, go ahead and apply for tax compliance using the process illustrated above.
hubpages.com on November 17, 2016:
Hi! Ihave filed my returns and got acknowledgement reciept now can I get compliance certificate online?
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on April 08, 2016:
Go to iTax portal and update your KRA pin. A password will be sent to your email. If you had already updated, use the option forgot password and a password will be sent to your email.
anto on March 25, 2016:
how can I get the kra certificate since I don't have a password thou I have my kra pin
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on December 19, 2015:
Hello @ giddy Forms are no longer filled nowadays, just follow the above procedure to get your Tax Compliance.
giddy on December 18, 2015:
Hey how should i get the online form to fill
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on November 06, 2015:
@lucy go to your station and they will help you input the right email.
lucy on September 29, 2015:
I applied for pin and i got the pin the problem is i do not have a password for the pin i misspellt my email address so after it was collected you didn't send the password only the pin was sent
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on August 13, 2015:
You can still apply for the compliance certificate @anne. But if you do not submit your annual returns and you have a PIN, you will be denied your certificate. For those who are not employed and have a PIN they should submit nil returns.
anne on August 13, 2015:
hey thanks for the info bt what if u have not been employed ever since u completed college and u need this certificate...