Freelance Content Writer | IT-Based Website Content Creator | Technical Writer | Blogger
How do I install WordPress?
Installing WordPress software on your computer is quite easy. In this post, you will learn how to install WordPress on a local server. It is advised to follow all the steps described in this article to install successfully.
So, get ready with your system and strong internet connection.
What is localhost server?
Localhost is where you practice and check the website before deploying to a live server. The localhost environment is basically your own PC or laptop. This means that you can only use it for personal use, your online audience will not be able to see your work on localhost.
Those who have started their journey with WordPress can learn building websites on it. There are multiple ways to set up a local server on your computer.
How to create localhost environment on your computer?
When it comes to creating your own local server on your personal computer, there are several options to go with. It depends on the operating system you are using.
- XAMPP - support cross platforms
- LAMP - support only Linux os
- WAMP - support Windows os
- MAMP - support only Mac os
So, in this post, you will learn how to install WordPress using XAMPP.
What is XAMPP?
XAMPP is free software created by Apache Friends. It is cross platform that can be run with any operating system. It basically provides a local server on your personal computer. In more words, if you are new to WordPress and want to learn crafting websites, it will provide you with a server environment.
On the other hand, if you work for your customers, you can use it to test your websites before uploading them to a live server.
XAMPP stands for:
X - stands for cross-platform
A - Apache
M - MariaDB
P - PHP
P - Perl
It provides a local environment for testing PHP, Apache, MySQL and Perl projects on your personal computer.
Step 1- Download XAMPP
Head over to the official website of XAMPP and download the appropriate version that meets your system requirements. The file size will be approximately 150MB.
Step 2- Run XAMPP Installer
This is the second step after downloading XAMPP. Now unzip the downloaded file and run the installer.
Once you click the Finish button, a control panel of XAMPP will open(if not, please open it manually). Now start the first two tabs and close the control panel.
Step 3- Download WordPress
To download the WordPress software, go to your browser and hit the wordpress.org link and download the latest version of WordPress. The WordPress software will be downloaded in a .zip file. The format will look like this wordpress-5.5.1.
Step 4- Create a Database
After downloading the WordPress, the next step is to create a database for your website.
- Kindly make sure XAMPP is running on background.If not, start it again.
- Open the browser and type localhost/phpmyadmin in a new tab.
- Click on New button, and type a database name on the text field next to it.
- After this, click on Create button.
Please follow the steps very carefully. This is where most people make mistakes.
- Go to the directory where the WordPress setup is downloaded.
- Now copy the wordpress installer and paste it into the htdocs folder (your disk then xampp then htdocs).
- No unzip the file.
- After this, a folder named wordpress will appear.
- Now rename the folder(database name).
Step 5- Run WordPress
Now the next step is to install the WordPress software.
- Head over to the browser and hit the url - localhost/website
- After localhost / --- you will type the same name you gave to database.
- Now select the language and click on Continue button.
- Type database name.
- Username will be root.
- Password will be blank.
- Database host will be localhost.
- Table prefix will be default.
- Now click on submit button.
- Then hit the run the installation button.
This is where you need to be careful:
- Fill in the site title text field.
- Type a username.
- Then create a password.
- Enter your email address.
- After this click on the Install WordPress button.
Now enter the username and password.
After pressing the login button, WordPress dashboard will look like this.
To view the default layout of your website, go to the website and click on the View Site item.
The default theme of the current version is Twenty Twenty.
WordPress is an open-source CMS based platform, where anyone can learn how to build a website very easily. Additionally, WordPress and all its themes and plugins can be downloaded for free. There are thousands of WordPress themes and plugins available on the Internet which are both paid and free. You can create your own website using free themes and plugins without paying a single penny.
In this article, I have described how to install WordPress step by step locally, but if you still face any issues regarding the same, I would be happy to assist you.
The comments section is open for you. Please let me know what issues you are facing about WordPress.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Amit Masih