I am a digital marketing expert and I have 5 years of experience in marketing.
Why Choose A Free Landline Phone Service?
Although smartphones are getting cheaper and offer more functionality, there are some benefits that make landline phones a good investment in 2021. Some of the benefits include:
A landline phone is easier to detect than a cell phone that lets you know the vicinity and not the exact location. If you need emergency help and make a call with a landline phone, the operator can tell you your exact location. It is possible to know the address, floor, and even apartment number from a landline call, ensuring a quick emergency response. Landline phones also offer greater security as it is difficult to intercept data, unlike mobile phones that use radio waves.
2. Clear Connection
Landlines tend to have crystal-clear strong networks than cell phones that use cell towers. All your calls will be clear. You will also not experience dropped calls and poor connections like in mobile phones in areas with a poor network. The landlines will keep working even in a power outage as long as it is connected to a corded base.
3. Low Maintenance
Landlines are easier to maintain and durable. You can use them for an extended period without noticeable wear. They are also easier to use for seniors.
Features To Look For Landline Phone
Landlines are not feature-rich like smartphones, as you can only use them to make and answer calls. Nevertheless, landline phones are not equal. Some devices come with useful features that make calling easier. The top features you should look for in a landline phone include:
- Call Quality – You need to ensure the call is crystal clear. Go for a service that guarantees no call interference and zero interference to ensure voice clarity is excellent on both ends.
- Caller ID and Call Blocker – The best landline service should let you know the caller at all times. It should also enable you to block spam calls, giving you peace of mind without random disturbances.
- Disability Features – Look for a landline phone that offers greater functionality to people with various disabilities. The best phones should be easy to use for visually impaired seniors and those with hearing difficulties. The best landlines should also have easily dial-able buttons, a backlit keyboard, and a loud ringer volume for ease of use.
- Power Backup – Buy landline phones with a backup power source to enable you to make and receive calls at all times, even during a blackout.
- Extras – What extras would you like to have? An answering machine comes in handy in helping you record messages when you are away. An alarm system will help you keep time.
How To Get A Free Landline Service?
You will need to qualify for the Lifeline assistance program to get a free phone. State governments regulate the program, offering low-income households monthly discounts of $9.25. The eligibility varies from state to state based on income-based eligibility and participation in Federal Assistance Programs.
1. Qualification Based On Income Eligibility
Anyone can qualify for the Lifeline program if the total household income is at or below 135 percent in most states as per the federal poverty guidelines. Some of the documents you should present to the service provider to qualify for a free landline service based on income include:
- Previous year’s state, federal or tribal tax return
- Recent revenue statement or paycheck stub
- Divorce decree or child support award
- Unemployment’s compensation statement of benefits
- Any other official document with income details
2. Qualification Based On Federal Assistance Programs Participation
You can qualify for a free landline service if you are participating in Federal assistance programs. You only need to show that you are getting assistance from any of the federal aid programs like:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- National School Lunch Program (NSL)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Food Stamps
How To Choose The Best Free Landline Service Provider?
Review the companies that offer lifeline services in your locality. Despite offering lifeline specific offers, the providers offer unique bundles that make the landline service more attractive. AT&T offers excellent calling features on their landline phones.
You can access all call forwarding, exclusive call forwarding, busy call forwarding, caller ID blocking, and safe call forwarding. Other AT&T landline benefits include directory assurance blocking, locate me, international call blocking, call trace, and three-way calling. AT&T further offers a free phone as part of its Federal government’s lifeline program. Some of the leading landline service providers include:
- Google voice
- Magic Jack
Once you find the best provider, you should make an application and wait for a notice on the state of your application. You can apply through mail or visit a local sales office. If your application is successful or not, you will likely get a notification within seven to ten days. To continue using the service, you will need to renew your application yearly.
Everyone should have access to a cell phone service in the US. Free landline service is a Federal government program that helps those who cannot afford the monthly cell phone plans keep in contact with friends and relatives at no cost. However, some providers offer bundled plans that offer better value at an affordable monthly fee.
© 2021 Shova Mozumder