Reina enjoyed writing essays even when she was only a pupil. She works freelance writing web content for various individuals and industries.
Are you looking to get your first electric guitar? It can be overwhelming to find the best brand. You would want to know how much does an electric guitar costs before you decide to buy one. Here is our guide to help you choose the best electric guitar that suits your tastes and budget.
Finding Your Guitar
You don't have to spend so much money on your first guitar. Beginner guitars usually cost between $100 to $400. You may also opt for low-end guitars that cost less than a hundred dollars, but those strings may not keep up with your growing skill.
Musical instruments like electric guitars are manufactured to fit a musician's skill level. They are also priced accordingly. Professional electric guitars are the most expensive but also have the highest quality. Average guitars will cost around $500 or less. Some guitar brands in this price range are already suitable for playing at an intermediate level.
If you're a beginner, you are likely hesitating to spend a large sum of money on your first guitar. Let's talk about these guitar categories and their price range so you can decide on your first electric guitar.
- Low-end Guitars - You may want to call these models starter guitars. They are low-budget guitars that may compromise the sound and material quality of the instrument. Low-end guitars cost about $100 or less, and most big guitar brands offer these models in a series. Squier is a good name for these low-budget guitars.
- Beginner Guitars - The ultimate price range for beginner guitars falls between $100 to $400. These guitars are usually upgrades to those low-end guitar series. You can get a better quality beginner's guitar at this price range. Popular brands of beginner guitars are Squier, Jackson, Epiphone, Ibanez, and Yamaha.
- Intermediate Guitars - If you're serious about your guitar playing and dream of performing like a pro, you might want to start off at this level with your first electric guitar. Intermediate-level guitars cost between $400 to $900. and their quality could come close to professional guitars. Some famous guitar brands like Gibson and Fender may sometimes offer their pro models in this price range.
- Professional Guitars - You must be willing to pay the price of a top-end, pro-level electric guitar to get premium quality. They cost between $1000 - $2500. The Fender Stratocaster Series and Gibson Les Paul are popular models for this category. The best guitar players in the world play with these premium guitars. You would see these guitars played by famous celebrities like Eric Clapton.
- Signature Guitars - These are customized pro-level guitars specially designed according to the specifications of famous pro guitar players. These top-notch guitars are capable of the most extreme music exhibitions an artist can perform on the strings. At a price range of over $2500, these signature guitars can definitely cost you a fortune. It may be too pricey, but if you have the skills and the budget, you could get the bragging rights to own one of these top-notch guitars.
It's also worth knowing about luxury guitars. They are the most expensive electric guitar models, but they are usually no better than pro-level guitars. These are rare collections of pro guitar models sold exclusively for certain groups of people. They are valued at an extremely high price because of their uniqueness and rarity.
How Much Should You Spend
Besides the price and your skill level, you also have to consider the cost of maintenance and other essential equipment when buying an electric guitar. As a beginner, you are more likely to snap the strings on your guitar as you learn to pluck and strum. It still happens even with the pros.
Here is a quick list of must-have equipment and tools for successful guitar practice. It will be helpful to consider these items in your budget when choosing your first electric guitar.
- Guitar Tuner - While some pro guitar players have an exceptionally gifted ear, they would still benefit from using a guitar tuner during a performance. Beginners still need to train their ears. They would definitely need a guitar tuner. This handy tool could cost about $15 to a hundred dollars.
- Extra Strings - Here you go. Strings could break at any moment, no matter how careful you are. These replacement strings will always come in handy whether you're a pro on performance or simply practicing. A set of six guitar strings could cost between $2.50 to $12.50.
- Amplifier - Most electric guitars usually come with a compatible amplifier. But sometimes, they don't, especially if you're getting the cheaper, low-end model. You would have to find yourself a suitable amplifier for your instrument. The price of a basic amplifier could start as low as $20 up to $200. If you want better quality, get ready to spend between $250 to $500. Cost may rise as high as a thousand dollars or more to get excellent quality.
- Protective Case - Every musical instrument needs some TLC. You must get a protective covering for your electric guitar from temperature changes, dust, and scratches. It doesn't have to be expensive. You can get a padded fabric gig bag for about $15 to $90. If you want to give more lovin' to your fiddle baby, padded leather bags are more durable but may be too costly. They could cost around $300 or even more. You might as well just get a hardshell case which costs about the same.
- Guitar Strap - A guitar strap will come in handy when you're going on gigs and musical performances. But it also adds personality to your musical buddy. On average, you'll spend around $10 to $30 on a plain guitar strap. If you want something fancy, you may have to pay more.
- Guitar picks - A guitar pick is every guitar player's best friend. It is an incredible tool for beginners. Plucking the strings on your guitar can hurt your fingers. You could get blisters after playing for some time. Using a guitar pick can protect your precious fingers from those awful breakouts. You can buy guitar picks for a pack of 12, which cost about $2 to $4.
How much you should spend on an electric guitar solely depends on your preference. It's your decision. What we have given here is simply a guide to help you decide. The choice is still yours. You may start off with the low-cost electrical guitars and work your way up to the pro, or you could invest in the more expensive but high-quality advanced models.
Is It Worth Buying an Electric Guitar
It's never wasteful to spend on things that make us happy. An electric guitar is always worth it for the true music lover. For the faithful musician, it is like getting a pet or having a baby. An electric guitar is like a brand new car for the music artist. Here are four reasons we think buying an electric guitar is worth it.
- Build a Profitable Career - Buying an electric guitar is like starting a business. The strings are your asset. Learning to play the guitar does not only give you something to do for your pastime. It also offers you the opportunity to earn a living with your music. People will notice your skill as you practice. Eventually, they will want to hire you for your performance.
- Meet New Friends - You will also get to meet other music artists. You'll make friends with fellow music lovers and make yourselves a rock band. You'd start making music in your garage until you get your first gig. People love your music and ask for a repeat performance. You'll hardly even recognize it, but soon you'll find yourself on the road going across town making live performances.
- Road to Stardom - An electric guitar is more than just a luxury item. It could also be a wise investment. It could take you on the road to stardom. Consider those famous names like Bob Dylan, Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple, and Mick Taylor of the Rolling Stones. There are more than a hundred legendary guitar players. You could be one of them with your new electric guitar.
- Collector's Item - It may not apply to low-end guitars but getting one of those flashy signature guitars might be a wise investment. You must have heard of Eric Clapton putting his famous Blackie on auction. His most priced possession as a pro guitar player earned him $1 million. In 2004. nineteen guitar players sold their signature guitars for $2.7 to help victims of a tsunami in the Indian Ocean. Some people love collecting precious items. They would surely not hesitate to pay for a valuable musical piece signed by a famous artist. Whether it's for charity or profit, you can also buy and sell these collectible items.
Whatever your reasons for getting an electric guitar, it is always safe to have a budget. You would not want to compromise your healthcare and retirement fund for a piece of wood. But, you surely can save up some cash from your salary to get what you desire. A thing will be more valuable if earned by the sweat of the brow. Buying an electric guitar will be worth it when gained from hard work. Be wise and resourceful when you buy your first electric guitar.
Brand New or Used Guitars
You don't have to be a millionaire to play a musical instrument. If you have a passion for music, you should go for it. It may take a little hard work and discipline, but the sacrifice will be all worth it.
Buy Used Electric Guitars
There is no need to spend a lot of money to buy your first electric guitar. You can still play good music even with low-end guitars. If you want the more expensive, better quality models, you can get them cheap when you buy used electric guitars.
It's not shabby to use second-hand guitars. As long as it has been well-maintained and kept in good condition, it works just as good as brand new. You could later upgrade the hardware and cosmetics when you get the budget. You just have to test the guitar before purchasing it to make sure it works fine.
Test It Before You Buy It
The best way to find the best guitar for yourself is to try playing the instrument before purchasing it. Even if you're only a beginner who still doesn't know the chords, just try strumming and plucking the strings. The shop attendant might not even know you're not playing a song.
It is crucial to buy an electric guitar in good, if not perfect, condition because it plays a vital role in the sound quality of the musical instrument. Whether it is brand new or used, make sure to test the guitar before you buy it. The previous owner may have taken great care of his guitar, but circumstances may have caused it some damage.
When testing an electric guitar for purchase, try to get a feel of the entire instrument. Consider your grip on the guitar if it makes you feel comfortable as you strike the strings. You'll know you've found the right one if you feel good playing the instrument. Getting your electric guitars online may not be helpful because you can't test the item before placing your order.
An electric guitar is a crown jewel for an avid music lover. Buying an electric guitar is worth it if you are passionate about playing musical instruments. Learning to play the guitar can make you a profitable career. It gives you the potential to become a successful music artist.
How much does an electric guitar cost? It depends on your skill level and personal tastes. Pro guitars can be too expensive, but you can get them cheap when you buy them second-hand. Testing the instrument before purchase is the best way to find the right electric guitar that suits you best. You don't have to spend a lot on your beginner's guitar.
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2022 Reina Mendoza