How to become a Web Designer-A Precise Guide
Web Designer Career Guide
Are you excited to start your career as a web designer? Excellent! If you are technically inclined and eager to start your career as a web designer, it is the right career choice. It is the most attractive, high-demand job profile. They are responsible for creating and installing website features and web pages using both technical and non-technical skills. They are collaborating and coordinating with graphic designers, copywriters for banners, icons, images, etc.
Job Duties of A Web Designer
A web designer plays a pivotal role in designing and building a website with creative ideas and technical skills. She/he should focus on the appearance, layout, and content of a website. Some common duties of a web designer include:
- Build, design graphics, animation, and operate digital photographs, Us pins, etc.
- Understanding technical requirements and computer programming using a variety of software.
- Create or design website layout by using standard HTML/ PHP / CSS / JAVA practices.
- Assimilating functionalities and features into websites.
- Good understanding of the search engine optimization (SEO) process.
- Working with different content management systems and maintaining the appearance of websites by enforcing content standards.
- Brainstorming creative ideas, designing visual images, and ensuring that they are following branding for clients.
- Communicating design ideas using wireframing tools, user flows, process flows, and site maps.
- Conducting website testing and optimizing sites for maximum speed.
According to the U.S News and World Report, web developers earn a median salary of $69,430. The best-paid 25 percent made $95,020 that year, while the lowest-paid 25 percent made $50,990. Some web designers work full-time in offices, some work remotely as a freelance web designer. Those freelance workers earn money on an hourly basis.
Degrees and Certification for a Web Designer
Different institutions have various requirements for web designer courses. Candidates should have a high school degree or equivalent examination (diploma/certification) for a bachelor’s degree in web designing. For certificate and diploma courses, candidates from any stream or background are eligible for web designing courses.
Candidates who must possess a bachelor’s degree in any field are eligible for it. An entrance examination is taken; by some universities or institutions. Web designer courses include visual communication, digital art design, web publication and programming, graphics, and multimedia production.
Candidates should have done one to two years diploma in web designing or six months to one-year certification course in web designing. In four years of a bachelor’s degree program, one can learn how to create an effective online portfolio. In master’s degree coursework includes advanced information technology, usability design, database design principles, and enterprise architecture.
Different colleges, universities, and institutions provide different certificates for web designers. University of California-San Diego, Purdue University, Santa Clara University, and Brigham Young University offer web designer courses and certificates. Some web design certifications are very effective for freelance web designers. These are
- Google Analytics IQ
- freeCodeCamp Certifications
- Google Mobile Web Specialist
- HubSpot Academy Certification
- Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
- General Assembly Bootcamp Courses
Top Skills for a Web Designer
Skills include hard and soft skills that are very necessary to become a web designer. Some of them are summarized here.
2. Ability to converse well: A web designer should convey all technical information clearly and transparently to their client. So, a web designer should buckle down his/her presentation skill to work perfectly with clients.
3. Potentiality to administrate time: A web designer should learn the art of time management. He/she should strictly follow deadlines, communicate with regular reports, and adjust in a fast-paced environment with continuous creation.
4. Expertise in digital marketing strategy: Web designers are a vital component of every digital marketing strategy. They should know about the latest market trends through the digital marketing strategy and design accordingly. They focus mainly on layout, speed, performance, and website structure, and SEO-friendly, etc. They should know the basics of SEO that can make a site more attractive and easy to find customers.
5. Advanced innovative and productive ideas: Web designers can create new ideas and take a huge responsibility from the project manager. A professional web designer should understand the standard and purpose of a project, strive hard to reach a client’s expectations, and come up with fresh ideas.
6. Mastery to figure out a solution: Web designers should be more vigilant to identify any problem to avoid negative impact. They should listen to their users, gather information, attempt to find issues, and resolve them immediately.
FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions) on Web Design
- What is the difference between a graphic designer and a web designer?
A graphic designer should work on print projects and digital projects, whether a web designer works only on concerned websites, not print. They must have intense knowledge of programming languages.
2. What should a web designer know?
3. Does a web designer create a bright career?
Yes, pursuing your career as a web designer is an excellent choice as it is a very safe and secure option for the IT sector. According to a CNBC report, web designing is one of the low stressful and high-paying jobs in the United States.