Freelance Content Writer | IT-Based Website Content Creator | Technical Writer | Blogger
Uploading articles to WordPress website is a fairly easy task. With just a few clicks, everyone can upload an article to a WordPress website. It is easy but at the same time, you have to master some areas as it helps your article to rank on various search engines.
In the WordPress dashboard, there are some hidden options that a newcomer might not be aware of.
Your questions related to this matter can be as follows:
- How do I share an article on WordPress?
- How do I post content on WordPress?
Here, throughout this article, I will show you how to upload an article to WordPress website.
Posting article to WordPress
Once your written article is good to go, the next step will be to upload it. To publish your article on WordPress, log in to your website. Go to the 'Post' option on the left side of your WordPress dashboard.
Here you will see the 'Add New' item, click on it. After clicking on it, you will land on a separate page, where you can upload your article.
If you click on the 'Post' button directly, you will see a page like this. On the top left corner, a 'Add new' button will appear. You get it here
Here you will see a page like this. The latest version of WordPress comes with the Gutenberg Editor.
But I have installed a plugin called Classic Editor, which will look like this.
[If you want to install this plugin, head over to 'Plugin' item and click on 'Add New' and search in the search bar Classic Editor, and activate it.]
After installing the Classic Editor plugin, the page will look like this.
Now, the next step will be to fill all the required text fields.
1. Title: Enter a title for your article on the title text box. The title of your article should be eye-catchy, and attract the reader's interest within a few seconds.
2. Text area: This is where you will paste your written article. There is one thing to consider here. To the right of the text area, two tab names, Visual and Text, will appear. So, if you are good in HTML language, click on the 'Text' tab and write HTML for your article. If not, paste the written article in the 'Visual' section.
3. Format: An article should be published using multiple text widgets such as level headings, subheading, important text should be in bold letters, links, and text positions. All these options can be manage using the toolbar shown above the text area.
Upload an image
Images play an important role in articles because a plain or long text article seems boring to readers. The article should contain some images related to the point you are talking about in the article.
Please go to the 'Add Media' button on the left top corner of the WordPress dashboard.
- To insert an image in the middle of your text, all you have to do is click where you want to insert an image.
- After this, click on the 'Add New' button, then a new screen will appear, now click on the 'Upload Files' tab.
- Now on this screen, you have two options to go; You can drop any image directly from your computer or click on the 'Select Files' button to add an image.
- To save and upload the image, click the 'Insert Into Post' button that appears on the lower-right of the screen.
After filling all the required text fields, click the 'Save Draft' button and your article will be saved.
You may have seen an image right next to the title of the article. This is called featured image. Each article has a main image, so to add it, follow the steps below:
- When you look at the bottom-right of the current screen. You will see a section called 'Featured Image', and just below the bold text a blue colored text 'Set Featured Image' will appear.
- Click on this blue text, and a new window will open in front of you. Where you see the same options as Upload Files or Media Library.
- Now click on 'Upload Files', then click on 'Select Files' and follow the instructions given by the system.
- This is how you can choose a featured image for your article. But before you go ahead, don't forget to click the 'Save Draft' button at the top right corner.
- Now, your article has been saved as a draft, but it will not be accessible by online viewers.
After clicking on the blue button, the selected image will look like this.
This is where you can assign a category to your article. This means that you are creating a group for your articles in which you publish articles of the same interest.
Under the 'Posts' section on the main WordPress dashboard, click on 'Categories', and here you can create your own categories according to your niche.
To create a new category, fill the name and slug accordingly. Additionally, you can set the 'Parent Category' and at the same time, you can write a brief introduction to the category in the 'Description' text field.
To save the category, click the 'Add New Category' button and it will be saved automatically.
This is where you enter two to three sentences about your article such as what you will provide to your online readers in this article. The excerpt appears on the blog page under the article's title.
If you don't find the 'Excerpt' widget, then head over to the 'Screen Options' drop-down. Here you can select the Excerpt widget.
If you want your readers to comment on your article, click on both options.
There are many other options you use at the same time.
- Post Attributes
After filling all the required text fields, you are now done with the back-end part. To publish your article, all you have to do is click the 'Publish' button. By clicking on it, your article will be live on the website.
Before you put it live, you can also see a preview of the article to see if it is properly formatted, or ensure any typing mistakes.
Please note that once you are done with each activity, please do not forget to click the 'Save Draft' button. In any case, if your system gets jammed or there is an internet issue, your changes will be undone. So for security, it is advisable to save the article in draft mode after making every changes.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Amit Masih