Writing is my passion and continuing from 2013 to date on various platforms. I completed my M.Sc. in 1996 in Applied Physics & Electronics.
Technology has grabbed the entire sectors of this era. The fish farming isn't out of it. In this article, the usefulness of aerators in the pond for fish farming and the relevant questions and answers related to the aerator, how to do fish farming, and so on have been discussed. Enjoy the writing.
Some Relevant Questions & Answers Before Starting Fish Farming In The Pond
Question: What are the benefits of fish farming?
- Fishery products are by far the most popular animal products in the market, constituting more than 70% of meat products in the local market, and globally.
- Fish is one of the highest sources of protein. Fish is a low-fat high-quality protein that is filled with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins such as D and B2 (riboflavin). Fish is also very rich in calcium and phosphorus and is equally a great source of minerals, such as iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium, and potassium.
- Fish sells faster than any other animal products in the market and is relatively cheaper than meats, making it the number one choice when it comes to affordability.
- Fish grows very fast as practices in fish farming make it possible for farmers to increase the fastness of their fish growth by giving them certain feeds, ensuring that we harvest and sell within a short period.
- Fish is the biggest source of Omega-3 fatty acids which is extremely beneficial to the human heart; Omega-3 helps to keep our heart and brain very healthy. Since bodies don’t produce Omega-3 fatty acids, the only source through which we can get it is by what we eat, that is where fish comes to the rescue.
- Fish farming is very profitable. With proper planning and good management, N3 million investment in fish farming could easily result in N4 million of pure profit within six months.
- Fish farm does not cause any environmental hazard. Unlike poultry farming, we can set up fish farms anywhere, including residential areas. If we have a spacious compound, we can easily set up a small fish farm within our backyard without any regulatory precaution.
Question: What is Pond Aerator?
Answer: A Pond Aerator is a device that splashes water into the air or pumps air into the pond in the form of bubbles. This increases the oxygen level in the water, which improves the water quality, and makes the pond favorable to living fish.
Question: What negative effect is observed if Aerator is not used in the pond?
Answer: Ponds that do not use aerators experience wide variations in oxygen levels for many reasons. Winter and summer fish-kills due to these wide variations in oxygen levels can be eliminated by using aerators to maintain high oxygen levels 24/7 preventing anoxic conditions in all or parts of the pond.
Question: What is the perfect time to use Aerator?
Answer: The answer would be found below:
In respiration, plants and animals consume oxygen to digest foods and produce carbon dioxide. In the morning when the sun rises at 6 AM photosynthesis starts and the production of oxygen begins. As the day progresses, the intensity of sunlight increases and the rate of photosynthesis increases, and the concentration of oxygen increases in pond water. As the rate of photosynthesis increases, utilization of carbon dioxide increases, thereby the concentration of carbon dioxide gradually decreases. At noon from 12 noon to 2 pm, the intensity of sunlight is highest. During this time, the rate of photosynthesis is highest. Thereby production rate of oxygen and utilization of carbon dioxide is highest. Thus the concentration of oxygen in pond water is highest, and carbon dioxide is the lowest. After this, as the day progresses, the intensity of sunlight gradually reduces and the rate of photosynthesis also reduces. The production rate (i.e. concentration) of oxygen also reduces. At 6 PM when the sunset occurs, the process of photosynthesis stops in lack of sunlight and there is no more production of oxygen in pond water for the rest of the 24 hours i.e. during the evening, night, or late nights.
1) Cool water holds more oxygen than warm water
2) Cool water is denser than warm water.
Question: Why Aerator is needed to be used in freshwater fish farming in pond or lake?
Answer: There are 5 key reasons described as below:
1. Aeration helps to reduce and eliminate many of the water quality issues that often lead to problematic pond algae blooms. The use of aeration may also result in improved water clarity as well as a reduction in foul odors that are frequently emitted from stagnant water bodies.
2. Floating Fountains are visually pleasing additions to lakes and ponds and provide distinction and splendor.
3. Mosquitoes breed in and prefer to live near shallow and stagnant water. Aeration helps to reduce mosquito activity by continuously circulating water throughout your lake or pond.
4. Aeration provides an oxygen-rich aquatic environment, which leads to a healthier habitat for fish and other aquatic life.
5. The increase in diffused oxygen from proper aeration supports and encourages the growth of beneficial aerobic bacteria. These beneficial bacteria break down organic matter and consume excess nutrients, which reduces the overall accumulation of organic sediment on the bottom of your lake or pond.
Question: How many Aerators are required in 1 Hectare freshwater fish pond?
Answer: As much as we can effort & it is subject to our ability.
Question: What is the minimum weight which justifies using Aerator?
Answer: When fish becomes more than 100gm, it is required to start the aeration process by Aerator.
Question: What should be the minnow density of both Carp & Catfishes per Acre?
Answer: The per Acre density of Carp & Catfishes would be found below:
- We can use our pond for cultivating only catfish or with other fish species.
- If we cultivate catfish with other carp fish, then the stocking density will be at most 2500 to 3000 per acre. We can increase the number if we cultivate the only catfish in a pond.
- We can cultivate catfish with other fish species such as tilapia fish, Pangash, etc.
- We can stock 4000-5000 catfish if we cultivate with Pangash or Tilapia.
- Cultivating catfish with carp fish, tilapia or Pangash will help to reduce the feeding costs. Catfish will eat the food provided for carp fish from the bottom of the pond, along with consuming their regular feed.
- The main benefit of catfish farming with carp fish is that this mixed system help to reduce the quantity of ammonia gas from the pond and ensure a healthy environment for all fish species.
Question: What should be the position of the Aerator while pulling out the aeration process?
Answer: The Aerator should start from the middle of the pond and of course, diagonally. It is worst to start the aeration process from any corner of the pond.
Question: Whether Aerator is needed for all kinds of freshwater fishes (Catfishes, Carp fishes, etc.) including Pabda (Indian Catfish in English)?
Answer: The answer is an absolute yes. Any living thing requires aeration.
Question: What is the reason for “Fish killing” in summer especially in the rainy season?
Answer: The reason for “Fishing killing” has been described below:
We have got warm oxygen-rich water on top and cool anoxic water on the bottom of our lake. Then a large rain event occurs and dumps a lot of cool rain into our lake. This cool rainwater is denser than the surface water, so it sinks to the bottom of the lake (we must remember that the bottom of the lake is nearly void of oxygen). The new, cool rainwater displaces the anoxic water at the bottom of our lake. The displacement of anoxic water from the bottom of the lake essentially mixes throughout the entire lake, which lowers the oxygen levels of the entire lake. The sudden mixing of anoxic water is what kills our fish in a summer lake turnover.
Question: How many times aeration by Aerator is required per day in 1 Hectare pond?
Answer: At least 15-20 hours, the per-day aeration process is expected to be done in 1 Hectare freshwater fish pond.
Question: What is the scientific name of Ruhi fish?
Answer: The scientific name of Ruhi fish is Labeo Rohita and the English name is Rohu.
Question: Which layers belong to different types/criteria of fishes?
Answer: The answer would be found below:
Katla, the silver carp, and the big head carp are upper-level fish. They eat food from the top level. Many green little plants, insects are eaten by them from the upper level.
Mid Level Fish
Fish like Ruhi eat food like small insects from this level.
Mrigel, kalibaus, mirror carp are of low level fish. They eat insects, snails, oysters, a small plant from this level.
Question: What is the comparison of productivity, before & after using Aerator?
Answer: After using Aerator, the productivity of the fishes becomes twice in comparison to previous and of course it is subject to use that in the prescribed format.
Question: What are the benefits of Cat & Carp fish farming?
Answer: The benefits would be found below:
Question: If the pond size is 500 square meters, how many baby fishes can be there 1250 baby fishes.
Answer: The calculation is as below:
20 × 25 = 500
500 m2 area has 50 × 10m2
50 × 25 = 1250 baby fishes
Question: An example, what should be the depth of pond for Ruhi fish?
Answer: If the pond is 8-9 feet deep, it is the ideal one for Ruhi fish farming.
Question: Did any country of the world perform research in favor of using Aerator in freshwater fish farming?
Answer: Yes of-course. Nigeria went out for research. The summary of their research would be found below:
- It reduces the concentrations of ammonia, nitrites, and carbon (iv) oxide
- It increases the pH level of pond water.
- It increases the carrying capacity of an aquaculture system.
- It reduces fish mortality.
- It enhances fish reproduction systems
- It reduces the level of salinity especially during the time of low rainfall
- It increases pond productivity.
- It increases fish growth.
- It regulates water temperature especially as this can affect dissolved oxygen (DO) of aquatic
- It is used to control thermal stratification
Some Carp Fishes
Benefits of Carp Fish Farming
There are many advantages of carp fish farming. Most of them are described below.
- Eat feed from a variety of levels.
- Fish does not fight with each other for feed.
- Each fish stay in their level.
- They are not of cannibalistic habit.
- Good disease resistance.
- Increase their weight quickly and grow fast.
- Minnow can find easily.
- Eat low-cost subsidiary feed.
- Tasty to eat and high demand in the market.
- Have economic value.
- Minnow can be produced by artificial fish breeding.
Some Cat Fishes
The benefit of Catfish farming
The main benefit of catfish farming with carp fish is that this mixed system help to reduce the quantity of ammonia gas from the pond and ensure a healthy environment for all fish species. Provide 20% of feed daily for the first 10 days, according to the bodyweight of stocked fish.
The Bottom Line
Hope, those who're dreaming and have got a deep fascination to start fish farming would get the highest benefit subject to read the entire article with full of concentration.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 pervez