Have you ever upload photos to Facebook, only to have friends come along and tag people in them? Or find that you yourself have been tagged in an image that you know nothing about?
Facebook does not give you the ability to restrict the photos your friends or family upload, however it does give you the tools to allow you to limit how you can be tagged in photos, videos and on other activities. Using 'tag review' you can opt to be notified and then manually review anything that you have been tagged in before it appears on your timeline. Facebook also gives you the ability to un-tag yourself or others from photos too.
Did You Know
Even when you remove a tag from a photo or video, that tag will no longer appear however that post may still be visible to others in their news feed.
How To Prevent People Tagging You In A Photo
Tagging is a commonly used Facebook function and no doubt you have been tagged in a number of photos overtime. However when your friends or family start to tag you too many times or even worse still, in unrelated things it can start to become rather annoying.
You can manually remove yourself from photos by:
- Placing your mouse over the photo or video
- Select the Report/Remove Tag from the available drop down menu
- Remove your name
If you want to remove tags from multiple photos at once:
- Go to your activity log
- Select Photos from the left-hand column
- Choose the photos that you want to remove the tag from
- Select the report/remove tag option from the top of the page
- Click Untag Photos to confirm the removal
Tag Review Settings
The good news is that Facebook has an option for you called tag review. It allows you to approve, or decline tags that people add to your posts.
When it is enabled, anytime someone attempts to tag a photo, video or post, that tag won't appear until you approve it.
Let's walk through those steps!
Did You Know
If you choose to approve a tag, remember that the person tagged and any of their friends (based on their own privacy settings) may also be able to see the post or image.
Facebook Timeline and Tagging Settings
The first thing you can do is to ensure that your tagging settings are as rigid as possible and turn on tag review.
Navigate to your account settings in the top right hand corner of any Facebook page.
Then select 'Timeline and Tagging' which is a menu option in the left hand column.
You will see a section called How can I manage tags people add and tagging suggestions?
- Review tags people add to your own posts before the tags appear on Facebook?
- When this feature is enabled, if anyone tags you in a photo, it remains in 'pending status' until you approve it.
- When you're tagged in a post, who do you want to add to the audience if they aren't already in it?
- Set this to friends, or only me. This area restricts who can see any images that you are tagged in.
- Who sees tag suggestions when photos that look like you are uploaded?
- This is an interesting feature of Facebook. When a photo is uploaded to Facebook that 'looks like you' Facebook automatically suggests adding a tag of you. This apparently helps save time when adding tags to photos.
- Suggestions can always be ignored and no one will be tagged automatically. If you want to many sure that you are never suggested as a tag, select 'no one'.
Facebook Timeline and Tagging Settings
How To Stop People Tagging Themselves In Your Photos
Unfortunately there is no quick fix for this however there is a way to remove tags.
If your friends or family tag themselves or others in one of your photos, you will need to un-tag them. The good thing though is that once a person has been untagged from a photo, they cannot be tagged in the same photo again.
What do I mean?
Let’s say I upload a photo to Facebook of my cat. You are my friend and you can see this photo appear in your news feed. You decide to tag yourself in it but I wish you hadn’t. To remove your name, I need to click onto the photo in my Facebook album to see the full size of it. At the bottom of the photo I will be able to see your name as being tagged in the photo. I select Edit and then delete your name.
Now, if this is happening over and over, you will need to repeatedly undertake this task.
There is no way to stop people from tagging themselves. If this is a touchy subject and you are not sure of a way to tell your friends and family that you don’t appreciate them tagging themselves in your photo, why not just blame it on a Facebook glitch. We all know how often there are updates and changes to the social networking platform. “On it must be Facebook playing up again…”
Got Another Facebook Privacy Problem?
- Why Do People Use Hashtags On Facebook?
Hashtags are a Twitter creation yet we see them on Facebook statuses every day. Do they have a place on Facebook and why do people use them? Is Facebook really bringing in the use of hashtags?
- Why Won't Facebook Let Me Log In?
Millions of people log into Facebook everyday around the world. We chat, we conduct business and we share information. There are times when we cannot login. Here are common causes and easy solutions
- Why Am I Being Added To Facebook Groups Without My P...
Have you found yourself added to a Facebook group without your knowledge or permission? How to make sure you are notified and how to remove yourself Essential Facebook privacy settings.
- Why Does Facebook Keep Logging Me Out?
As frustrating as this is there are a number of possible reasons, and in almost all cases the issue can be resolved almost immediately. Here are the most common reasons for Facebook logging you out.
- Why Was My Facebook Account Locked Or Disabled?
If you have found that your Facebook account was locked or disabled without warning do not worry. There are a number of common reasons why this can happen and in most cases simple ways to rectify it.
- A Walk Through Guide - How To Edit and Adjust Facebook Privacy Settings
Creating online social media profiles exposes you and your private information. Make sure your Facebook privacy settings are strict and monitored regularly.