Be honest: when you do a school work, or when you want to do a more specific research what you do first? You go to Google and search for it, or go to the library ask to the librarian what's the information you have? If you are in the first group, don't worry, you are one in million, if you are in the second, congratulations, you are old school!
What I want to list in this hub is the advantages of Internet, and the advantages of the tradicional paper.
Internet: The advantages
The new analphabet is the one who doesn´t know how to use a computer, if you were in Earth in the past 10 years you now that today we do practically everything on computer: we work, we have fun, we shop, we talk. And all thanks to the Internet. So Internet is:
- more convenient- nowadays you have access any time and at any place you want. You have Internet at home, free wi-fi hotspots in every coffee house, even in your mobile phone! If you want, you can be online all day long.
- more practical- you can be chatting in the Facebook in one tab, checking the e-mail in the other and searching the web in three other tabs, and everything in one screen.
- much bigger than a normal library- The internet is almost infinite, every second new content is added and about almost everything and from every point of view imaginable. And that means a lot of juice for your research.
- we can get practically everything for free, legal and illegaly- like it or dislike it. You ave access to anything in the Internet. News, videos, games, music, books. Everything. You can shop online, or you can do it the other way: piracy. It isn't we don't know it, but everybody as already download something from the internet... And others can steal what you've created.
- we can get diferent points of view about the same subject- The internet is like a huge discussion board. Just visit a comment area in a news, visit a community, or go to your facebook page. You will see at some point a discussion, some friendly others not. But, with that you can improve your discussion skills and learns new things, or get so pissed you turn of the computer.
But there is the bigger disadvantage of Internet, and the biggest advantage from books: The information you get from Internet can not be 100% right, because everybody can write on Internet about everything, altough some improvements, for example the wikipedia is written by amateurs and people eager to add content to the internet, but every article is reviewed and corrected by an expert. Just be careful with where you go.
Books: whats good?
Books, the traditional source of information, before the radio, before the TV, before the Computer, there was books and newspapers. There are books for everyone: Scientific, Encyclopedia, just to list the biggest source of information. You can get book from a bookstore, from a library or from the Internet, of prizes and sizes. So what are the good points of a book?
- The information you get is real - If the information comes from a book, you can assume that they came from realistic studies, made with imparciality and realisticly. But, as I said, Internet is gaining at this point.
- They are more reliable- Altough nowadays you have Internet anywhere, you may not have access to it, ir if because another reason you can access it, you can just take a book from you backpack and start reading it.
- They and accepted source of information - Because of point one, in most conversations you won't be able to answer the question ".. and where did you learn it?" with "From the Internet", so you can surely use the as a source for you work or arguments.
But I think that the biggest disadvantage of books are that they take so much space and manutention, so you see shelves full of books, but the same information can bee stored in a hard disk. just be careful for not letting it fall.
For me, definitely the Internet. Much more practical, fast and convenient. I have access to a whole world of information with the click of a mouse!!! Altough I love the smeel of a new book...
And you? What do you prefer? Is the Internet a reliable source of information?
After the years after this hub was published, back in May of 2010, I updated it, in February of 2013. From 403 words to 731 and with new images! Hope you enjoy it!
Miriam John on October 06, 2020:
Vikhyat kumar jha on December 07, 2018:
O my god on January 22, 2018:
Nomi on December 16, 2013:
Spellings are wrong in this article
The main disadvantage of internet.
An auther took many years to write a book, articale can b written in few min without checking spelling and grammer mistakes
roopa on October 27, 2013:
if it is not reliable...but intresting.
then it is reliable
freeme on October 10, 2013:
It´s not reliable :( but intresting!
phone khant on January 24, 2013:
very useful for my work.Thank
soumik on November 05, 2012:
i didn't like this...you should have written more
pearmoth on October 01, 2012:
This is a very poorly thought out, researched, written, and edited article. It is, however, an excellent example of how dependence on ebooks is adversely impacting literacy.
maria on September 04, 2012:
IT IS RELLY USEFULL AND HELPFUL .................... ITS COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL...........................
nofil on July 25, 2012:
its really wonder fulllllllllllllll
king on July 08, 2012:
wowww it is a knowledge it is really good to learn n know new thing in life
amna adil on May 04, 2012:
wowww it is a knowledge wayyyy......:)
i really like it,....
Purnima ghosh on January 29, 2012:
I don't like this
Plapa (author) from Portugal on January 15, 2012:
However the editions are aproved by the community and can be reversed at any tyme
tanya on November 17, 2011:
wikipedia is another unreliable source because anyone can change anything at any time