Artificial Intelligence is one of the fastest-growing technologies that incorporate human reasoning in AI systems. John McCarthy used the term Artificial Intelligence for the first time in the year 1950.
Artificial Intelligence enabled systems have the power to learn and think. It involves a program that is capable of doing activities that only human intelligence can do.
This guide introduces you to the scientific world of Artificial Intelligence. It will help you understand everything starting from the beginning, such as its definition, advantages, disadvantages, and applications.
Definition of Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence is a new age computer science-based technology that is growing very fast.
It helps in the creation of intelligent machines and makes them perform like a human. They have programmed algorithms that are capable of learning and solving problems with their intelligence like humans.
The use of AI can be seen everywhere, such as in self-driving cars, playing chess, music, art, etc.
The creation of AI is not limited to computer science. Intelligence is a combination of learning, reasoning, language interpretation, problem-solving, awareness, etc. Other factors, such as mathematics, biology, psychology, statistics, sociology, etc., are also required.
Advantages of Artificial Intelligence
Accuracy level and Speed: Humans make mistakes. Computers, if programmed, do not make mistakes. AI machines have high reliability. They make decisions from the information already fed in them.
- Have a high accuracy level
- Can execute job at a high speed
- Can enable multi-tasking
- Can execute the same function repeatedly
- Can reduces the workload
- Are less prone to errors
Time constraint: Humans need breaks during work. They need to refresh themselves to get ready for work. But, AI machines have zero downtime, operate without interruption 24x7, and do not get bored like humans.
Penetration: AI machines prove useful where human involvement can be risky, such as defusing a bomb, exploring deep oceans, coal mining, going to different planets, etc.
Digital assistant: Digital assistant interacts with the users and reduces the need for human resources. Websites widely use chatbots to chat with users and guide them with their buying choices. Some E-commerce websites also use this technology to show the products as per customer requirements.
Public utility: AI is proving useful in public utilities, such as a self-driving car that make your ride safe and stress-free, facial recognition for security purpose, language processing to communicate with humans in their language, etc.
Daily applications: Applications, such as OK Google, Siri, and Cortana help you search for anything, do calculations, or do the translation for you. They act as your assistant.
New inventions: Inventions in almost all domains now use AI to solve complex problems.
Disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence
High creation and maintenance cost: AI updates at a fast pace. So the need to update the hardware and software also arises. AI-enabled machines are complex machines and require a lot of monetary input for their creation. Also, the maintenance cost is high as compared to other machinery.
Lack of creativity: AI-enabled machines are smart, but they can only work for which they are programmed. Also, they cannot imagine and create themselves. They lack human intelligence.
No emotions: Machines can perform tasks much more efficiently. But they cannot make emotional attachments like humans. Also, they can prove harmful if proper care is not taken.
Increased dependency: AI machines automate most of the work. Hence, humans are getting addicted to these inventions. With the increased usage of these machines, the mental abilities of people are deteriorating.
Unemployment: AI-powered robots replace most of the work and repetitive tasks. As a result, human involvement is reducing day by day. Now organizations prefer to replace less qualified staff with AI robots. They can perform the same work with more efficiency.
Applications of Artificial Intelligence
Many industries use AI because they can solve complex problems with ease. Here are a few areas where AI is proving useful:
- Astronomy: Space discoveries involve analyzing a large amount of data. AI can handle and process data on such a large scale.
- Marketing: You can search for a product or service without knowing its exact name. All possible results are displayed related to that product or service.
- Healthcare: Organizations and healthcare centers rely on AI. One example is the prevention of the occurrence of heart stroke. It warns the doctor when there is a risk.
- Gaming: Game developers create intelligent games using AI. The non-player characters can behave like a human, thereby improving the gaming experience.
- Banking: Banks are using AI these days to solve customer queries (using chatbots) and detect fraud.
- Finance: Companies rely on data scientists to predict future patterns in trading. AI machines can extract a large amount of data in a short time. They can also analyze past data and predict future patterns.
- Cybersecurity: AI can detect viruses and malware. It updates the firms about the latest risks and helps them in designing responsive strategies to protect themselves.
- Social media: There is a large amount of data on social media. AI helps in face verification. The machine learning concept helps to tag your friend and detect facial features. Deep learning concepts can extract each minute detail from an image.
- Automotive industry: Autonomous vehicles will revolutionize the transport industry. The AI system analyses the control signals from the automobile. It helps to operate the automobile.
- Entertainment: AI-based systems can now create music and art too. One such example is MuseNet. It can compose classical music.
- Agriculture: AI helps farmers with an innovative approach to getting more from their land. It helps them to find effective ways to protect their crops from weeds.
- E-commerce: AI helps users by creating personalized buying experiences. Also, chatbots act as customer service agents. They interact with buyers and solve their queries.
- Education: AI helps in creating a better learning environment for the student. It focuses on the personal needs of the student. Hence, course creators can create a customized set of instructions.
Every new invention has its advantages and disadvantages. But only utilize the positive side of the technology to create a better place to live.
Artificial Intelligence has many benefits. But if this technology is misused, it can cause harm to humanity. So, we must ensure that the massive use of robots doesn’t cause any harm to society.
But, to date, no AI application is made that can cause harm to humanity.
Share your thoughts about the future of AI in the comments below.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Preeti Shah